F55/F56 :: Hatch Talk (2014+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (F55/F56) hatchback discussions.

F55/F56 This looks interesting

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2016, 09:56 AM
USA-RET
6th Gear
Received 164 Likes on 127 Posts
This looks interesting

Considering Dinan's long relationship with BMW, nice to see Mini supported again. Looks to have some adjust-ability via BT.

https://www.ecstuning.com/News/MINI_...92016_DS_23056

Old 12-29-2016, 10:25 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 1,966 Likes on 1,766 Posts
Yep,

We just emailed out about their exhaust also. They are back in the MINI game and we are happy to have the product.

https://www.ecstuning.com/News/MINI_Dinan_Exhaust_F56_F55_23056/

Here is talk about the MINI Gen3 Dinantronic:

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...nd-play-3.html

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 12-29-2016, 10:38 AM
ASKtheteach
5th Gear
Received 68 Likes on 58 Posts
The exhaust seems like a great deal and, given the Dinan name, I'm sure it's a great product. To me, it looks very cheaply made, especially when compared to the finish of the NM and AWE exhausts (and others). Plus, they state that only one outlet is functional. On the ones mentioned above, both outlets function.

Old 12-29-2016, 10:42 AM
trentiles
4th Gear
Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts
"Note: The exhaust system is only offered with black tips as one of the tips is non-functional and would lead to non-matching discoloration over time if polished tips were used."

Wow seriously Dinan? They are such a joke now.

Old 12-29-2016, 10:46 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 1,966 Likes on 1,766 Posts
It's noted in the descriptions. They do this to match the aesthetics of the dual exhaust that's characteristic of MINI. They make some really good stuff for BMW and its the same for MINI.

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 12-29-2016, 11:50 AM
trentiles
4th Gear
Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts
Originally Posted by ECSTuning
It's noted in the descriptions. They do this to match the aesthetics of the dual exhaust that's characteristic of MINI. They make some really good stuff for BMW and its the same for MINI.
Yeah it's noted in the descriptions which is good on your part, but just terrible on Dinan's R&D to make only one exhaust outlet usable. I just can't believe that they are pushing out products like this now.

Old 12-29-2016, 12:38 PM
Dinan Engineering
Vendor
Received 34 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by trentiles
Yeah it's noted in the descriptions which is good on your part, but just terrible on Dinan's R&D to make only one exhaust outlet usable. I just can't believe that they are pushing out products like this now.
To be fair its not unprecedented in the least. The Dinan E36 M3 exhaust had 4 tips, only 2 of which were functional as did the Dinan E9x M3 exhaust as a couple well known examples. Reasoning ranges but you can view the E9x white paper at http://www.dinancars.com/dinan-university/ as to why we went that methodology in that particular case. We go after the best sound and performance is the short of it. If that means sacrificing a usable tip then so be it. The MINI exhaust in question is no exception. In this particular case the best sound came through one outlet so that's what we went with. Not to mention it allows the price point to be more attractive in the process as extra welding is eliminated. If you want air coming out both tips and that is of utmost importance to you there are plenty of other options out there to choose from.

Last edited by Dinan Engineering; 12-29-2016 at 01:00 PM.
Old 12-29-2016, 03:38 PM
camptown
2nd Gear
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Good stuff Dinan.

Now build a bigger turbo and high flow downpipe for us!!

Old 12-30-2016, 08:05 AM
USA-RET
6th Gear
Received 164 Likes on 127 Posts
I'm waiting for the Dinan Stage 1 Tuner for my M240i. First quarter of 2017 I am told.

Old 12-30-2016, 09:06 AM
ASKtheteach
5th Gear
Received 68 Likes on 58 Posts
Originally Posted by Dinan Engineering
To be fair its not unprecedented in the least. The Dinan E36 M3 exhaust had 4 tips, only 2 of which were functional as did the Dinan E9x M3 exhaust as a couple well known examples. Reasoning ranges but you can view the E9x white paper at http://www.dinancars.com/dinan-university/ as to why we went that methodology in that particular case. We go after the best sound and performance is the short of it. If that means sacrificing a usable tip then so be it. The MINI exhaust in question is no exception. In this particular case the best sound came through one outlet so that's what we went with. Not to mention it allows the price point to be more attractive in the process as extra welding is eliminated. If you want air coming out both tips and that is of utmost importance to you there are plenty of other options out there to choose from.
Wow. Way to be dismissive of your potential clients' comments.

Old 12-30-2016, 11:08 AM
rkw
OVERDRIVE
Received 120 Likes on 105 Posts
This is something I won't be able to unsee. If I ever see a Dinan exhaust, the very first thing I'll think is that one of the tubes is completely fake and does nothing. Also for the Dinan M3 exhausts.

Frankly, it hurts the company image. If I see a Dinan intake, I'll wonder what's really going on in there as well. Yeah, Dinan will be quick to tell us about their thousands of happy customers.

Do they make a triple exhaust with TWO fake tubes? Maybe stage 2 tuning will have it.

Old 12-30-2016, 11:12 AM
Minnie.the.Moocher
OVERDRIVE
Received 570 Likes on 486 Posts
Dinantronics Was the OP, off the rails thread.

Old 12-30-2016, 11:21 AM
DunkM
4th Gear
Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts
Originally Posted by Minnie.the.Moocher
Dinantronics Was the OP, off the rails thread.
I agree. This is a silly topic. The amount of flow required for our 2 liter engines, even with a turbocharger is small enough to flow through approximately one 2.5" tube... the rest is overkill.

Old 12-30-2016, 03:35 PM
pjsjr13
4th Gear
Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts
The Dinantronics is reasonable , however the axle back at $650 seems a little lofty .

Old 12-30-2016, 03:47 PM
2017All4
Super Moderator
Received 507 Likes on 383 Posts
Years ago K&N made sport exhaust systems, designed to rival Gibson, except the K&N systems made more noise (or sounded better, depending on one's age and aesthetic sense).

I had the K&N installed on my sport truck. Sounded good and possibly netted a few additional single digits in top end HP, but nothing I could feel in daily driving.

When the cat in the sport truck went out I went to the best muffler/performance exhaust guy in town and he said, with the K&N exhaust I already had, he could add a low-restriction cat which, when combined with the K&N would give me a few more horses, but he'd be surprised if I could notice the difference in butt-dyno results. I also had a K&N intake on the truck.

What I learned from all of that is there are small, measurable gains to be had if one does intake, cat, and exhaust, but the real joy is found in the sound, which can usually be achieved for a fraction of the cost by the simple addition of a less-restrictive, well-tuned muffler.

So it comes down to aesthetics, plus maybe a little more zoom, which is only noticed when you really put your foot into it, in my experience.

Last edited by 2017All4; 12-30-2016 at 04:03 PM.
Old 12-30-2016, 04:10 PM
2017All4
Super Moderator
And one additional point, if I may. I learned from an engineer I trust that back pressure and exhaust temperature receive a lot of attention from car manufacturers who are under the gun to lower emissions, increase fuel economy, and control costs. It was his considered view that the premature failure of the cat in my sport truck could be attributable to changes in back pressure and exhaust temperature resulting from the addition of the K&N high-flow cat-back exhaust system, or, he opined, the additional hot-rodding I was doing after I installed the exhaust, which was certainly possible because I was always trying to convince myself that I had added more grunt when I bolted on the new exhaust system, and to do that, I definitely developed a heavier foot on the gas -- besides, that's how you hear the sound

Old 12-30-2016, 07:00 PM
FDR
2nd Gear
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
Thank you, Dinan, for the R&D of F series Mini components!

Old 12-31-2016, 11:58 AM
ranger052
2nd Gear
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Sounds good but I don't like that you can see almost the full exhaust from behind the car, I mean the muffler part.

Originally Posted by ECSTuning
Yep,

We just emailed out about their exhaust also. They are back in the MINI game and we are happy to have the product.

https://www.ecstuning.com/News/MINI_Dinan_Exhaust_F56_F55_23056/

https://youtu.be/oR35b5LZtVY

Here is talk about the MINI Gen3 Dinantronic:

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...nd-play-3.html

Old 12-31-2016, 01:32 PM
2017All4
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by Dinan Engineering
I do wonder about why this muffler is priced so high. But then, I wonder about pricing on many of the aftermarket exhaust options for MINIs. If the product is basically a stainless can with tuned baffles and a couple of tips, it is difficult to understand the expense when for less than $100 the mainstream aftermarket for Fords and Chevys provides lifetime guaranteed, quality-built, baffled mufflers like Flowmaster (which provides lots of bark and cackle), and brands like Magnaflow, which is a stainless straight flow-through design with packed sound absorbing material and a slightly more mellow tone and less back pressure (for maximum HP/TQ/MPG gain). Why is the Dinan so pricey? Why are all aftermarket exhausts for MINIs so pricey? And can we see some dyno data showing an otherwise stock MINI running the Dinan exhaust as the only performance mod? Other than sound, what does the Dinan muffler provide? Not trolling here -- just asking. Thanks.

Old 12-31-2016, 03:48 PM
vetsvette
Received 450 Likes on 343 Posts
Originally Posted by pjsjr13
The Dinantronics is reasonable , however the axle back at $650 seems a little lofty .
My thoughts exactly.

Old 12-31-2016, 03:57 PM
2017All4
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by vetsvette
My thoughts exactly.
Even the Borla, which is nice kit, is less $$. And the smoke comes outta BOTH pipes.

Old 01-01-2017, 10:09 AM
pjsjr13
4th Gear
Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by 2017All4
Even the Borla, which is nice kit, is less $$. And the smoke comes outta BOTH pipes.
Going a bit off topic .You can purchase an Inivida system for $600 and the smoke comes out of both pipes .

Most lower production systems for sale are usually made under private label which can keep the prices up.
I was fortunate to work in the aftermarket for many years, developing products and getting them manufactured. Started working with an Australian company who was making us product under contract . In our search to find a domestic company to manufacture we found a company in California. They manufacture exhausts for large trucks and are able to mandrel bend up to 5 inch diameter tubing. Touring their facility quickly showed that they make many brands for low volume companies.
Given the time I would love to develop and market exhausts at a reasonable price. The key would be to sell directly to the end user.
Sorry for going off topic

Old 01-01-2017, 01:05 PM
DarkMiniCooperS
6th Gear
Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by 2017All4
I was looking for an exhaust for my F56 and was looking for an alternative to the Borla for the same price range... After seeing the Dinan, and build quality, from the pictures, I ordered the Borla S-Type yesterday.

The Dinan just looks cheap and the Borla has positive comments here and on YouTube...