Electrical For discussions regarding wiring up electrical modifications such as radar detectors, brake light mods, power sockets, and driving lights in Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S (R56), and Cabrio (R57) MINIs.

Electrical BC Board Computer Retrofit on R60, Help!

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2012, 02:10 AM
esse.erre
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BC Board Computer Retrofit on R60, Help!

Hello to everybody!
I'm trying to install the Board Computer on my new R60 without success. :-( https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...s/confused.gif
I followed the same procedure for installing the sport button (obviously I used $550 instead $4UF in VO/FA) as indicated in https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ert-stuff.html thread.
I proceded ad follow:

Start NCSExpert
Load Revtor Profile
Load and save in safe directory the TRC Files reader by NCS; Create new 0 byte TRC file.
Add new feature ($550) in VO/FA
Process separately CAS FRM KOMBI
Close and restart the car.

Since notting happens on the ODO display, someone as any suggestion for me?

All the best!

Old 05-23-2012, 11:34 AM
strobeyprobey
6th Gear
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Okay so you wrote the new vehicle order to both the CAS and FRM modules individually via the special job to write out the FA?

THEN as a separate step with a blank MAN file (or preferred method is to turn off trace file manipulation in the profile editor). And then process the Kombi and radio2 (or nav) ECUs separately.

Old 05-28-2012, 01:47 AM
esse.erre
1st Gear
RE: strobeyprobey

Yes, I processed the CAS and FRM with new FA with special job as described in doc. "CHANGING VEHICLE ORDER IN CAS.pdf" and after I created 0 byte .MAN file.
I saw in your post (strobeyprobey) the mention on "a preferred method". How about?

Silvio.

Old 05-28-2012, 01:48 AM
esse.erre
1st Gear
Originally Posted by strobeyprobey
Okay so you wrote the new vehicle order to both the CAS and FRM modules individually via the special job to write out the FA?

THEN as a separate step with a blank MAN file (or preferred method is to turn off trace file manipulation in the profile editor). And then process the Kombi and radio2 (or nav) ECUs separately.
Yes, I processed the CAS and FRM with new FA with special job as described in doc. "CHANGING VEHICLE ORDER IN CAS.pdf" and after I created 0 byte .MAN file.
I saw in your post (strobeyprobey) the mention on "a preferred method". How about?

Silvio.

Old 05-28-2012, 01:57 AM
alexs3d2
4th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
After writing the VO you need to recode the modules affected (e.g. KOMBI) to default values (blank .MAN file). Otherwise only the central registry (VO) is changed but not the actual coding in the individual units. You need to run job SG_KODIEREN on at least the KOMBI module.

Old 05-28-2012, 02:03 AM
esse.erre
1st Gear
Originally Posted by alexs3d2
After writing the VO you need to recode the modules affected (e.g. KOMBI) to default values (blank .MAN file). Otherwise only the central registry (VO) is changed but not the actual coding in the individual units. You need to run job SG_KODIEREN on at least the KOMBI module.
Tnx Alex. I will try with your indication.
Just for my understanding... the job SG_KODIEREN is a run option available under NCSExpert?

Silvio.

Old 05-28-2012, 02:29 AM
alexs3d2
4th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Yes it is...

Old 07-02-2012, 01:41 AM
roosm
Neutral
Hi,

I am about to take on doing the same thing.

1st I would like to know, did you solve it esse.erre?

I started following the guide in the PDF but stopped when after choosing chassi and then R56, NCS Expert showed no information about the vehicle? If I instead hit F1, F3 and choose CAS I can go back (F6) and his F2 for FA and see the full vehicle order.

I guess I should do it that way and add $550 to the list. Then process CAS, FRM, KOMBI and radio2 with a blank .MAN-file.

Then I should start from the beginning hit F1, F3 and choose FRM instead of CAS (here I only have 2 options). Then hit F6 (back), F2, and add the $550 string to the Vehicle Order.
Then process each ECU again? (I haven't so far read anything after choosing FRM so I am just presuming all ECU's are available after choosing this as well?).

Then the car should have changed?

Thanks,
Mike

Old 02-07-2014, 01:18 PM
kaveh
Neutral
Originally Posted by esse.erre
Tnx Alex. I will try with your indication.
Just for my understanding... the job SG_KODIEREN is a run option available under NCSExpert?

Silvio.

I solely registered on this form to thank Silvio for the reply!

I had also attempted coding the OBC on my 08 Mini base, and added $550 to both FRM and CAS and recoded the modules with the new VO. However, I was pissed royally after nothing changed on the cluster.

Then after doing a 10 min research, I came across this post and just back in the car and erases contents of the FSW_PSW.MAN file and saving it, chose the Kombi module, changed job to SG_CODIEREN and re-processed the module. Long and behold cluster went blank for 3 seconds and came back showing the average fuel consumption and everything else without having to restart the car like coding most options.

So a couple of things to remember in addition to coding the VO in CAS and FRM:

- Make sure that you have an empty .MAN file (open the file, select all, delete, save)
- Ensure the correct ECU has been chosen, i.e., Kombi in this case
- Choose the correct job: SG_CODIEREN

Enjoy the new OBC on the car.

Old 09-11-2014, 12:44 PM
longclose
Neutral
Hi All,

Am trying to find the simplest and safest way to enable OBC on an R55 (R56)Mini D One (Clubman), have found a few threads which all point in the same direction but want clarification. Have got CAN-D working and can read chassis and CAS module. Before I go any further would just like to check with the experts to understand the clear next steps. I have found this document at this link http://nutsofamily.com/?page_id=77

The PDF file shows how to add the FO options (in this case $550 to the CAS and FRM modules) which is clear and concise. It does not appear however to default the KOMBI module, this is the bit that worries me as it appears the most risky. Could one of the experts talk me through step by step the default process (if required) to activate the OBC to leave me with a clear conscience if I screw up the other half's car .

Thanks in advance..

Old 09-11-2014, 06:28 PM
Chernobyl
2nd Gear
Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Post #9 above lists exactly the right steps.

Defaulting modules is actually a very safe process - as long as you use datens that are up to date. All you are doing is recoding the module with the exact same info that is already in it.

Old 09-13-2014, 04:52 AM
longclose
Neutral
NCS Expert Error COAPI-1000 F6 back button

Ok so started the process today to get familiarity with NCS to enable my OBC, I wanted to get a "clean copy" of the FSW_PSW.TRC file just in case. I followed the dummies guide on the following link:-

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...-of-NCS-Expert

Followed section 6.1 and used NCSDummy profile

Pressed F1, F3 chose the chassis R56 (although mine is an R55 clubman) read the CAS (got the VIN and FO back) pressed the back button F6 and got error COAPI-1000 and was unable to progress ECU in step 10.

This car has never been "tinkered with" as it has just come out of vehicle lease as a company and is only 3 years old.

Your thoughts and help would be appreciated..

Old 09-13-2014, 09:52 AM
Chernobyl
2nd Gear
Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by longclose
Your thoughts and help would be appreciated..
PM sent. Sounds like it could be a cable issue.

Old 09-14-2014, 10:37 AM
longclose
Neutral
Thanks to Chernobyl

Well good news...!

Thanks to Chernobyl I now have a working OBC, the BMW architecture is not the easiest to get your head around, however once fully researched it makes sense but certainly it is not plug and play. The concept of bit masks for the FO is very sensible especially as it is a redundant system by having the factory options in two places.

Anyway this the first step in the BMW networked environment after Fiat and Landrover - thank you for your support Chernobyl. If I get a chance I will try and document the process all the way through and post so the scary steps go away.

Now onto any other options that improve the Mini experience...

BTW does any one know if Ediabas allows for factory remapping of the ECU - would be nice to add the additional BHP to my Mini One?