Electrical For discussions regarding wiring up electrical modifications such as radar detectors, brake light mods, power sockets, and driving lights in Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S (R56), and Cabrio (R57) MINIs.

Electrical Sport Button Modification Comparo

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2009, 12:29 AM
Dr Obnxs
Former Vendor
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Sport Button Modification Comparo

Here are the sport button mods that I'm aware of, and a plug as to why I think anyone who wants to buy one should either roll their own or buy mine...

A couple of comments: I built this table, but am not an expert on the other offerings. So any mistakes are my own and were not intentional. But anyway, the FES Auto product has more features than any other unit out there.

The reason I put this together is someone here on NAM bought a competing unit (that's OK if someone really wants to) and I pm'ed him to ask him why, and he said it was because he didn't know about the one I make! So I'm posting this comparison up so all can see what's out there (if you know of another product, let me know and I'll update the table.

some other notes: The Auto Sportplus won't add start/stop engine control to cars that don't currently have it. For cars with only the two buttons (DSC and Sport) it's really only easy to wire up two accessory channels, though it is possible to use a separate button to control the third, it's probably easier to just wire up that switch directly to whatever you want to power.

Hope those that are thinking about the mod find this usefull. If you want to roll your own, there are threads here about how to do it. The KB product is available from OutMotoring if you're interested in buying it from a NAM vendor.

If you want to upgrade from either the MachV unit or the KB Tech unit ONLY, we have a special offer described here.

Matt

Old 12-01-2009, 10:03 AM
Poppa Bear
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've got two questions for you:

1. There shouldn't be any compatibility problems with the 2010 JCW model, correct?

2. Why can I not get this shipped to an APO? How do I ship this otherwise?

Cheers!!

Old 12-02-2009, 11:02 PM
rkw
OVERDRIVE
Received 120 Likes on 105 Posts
Originally Posted by Poppa Bear
2. Why can I not get this shipped to an APO? How do I ship this otherwise?
E-mail Matt about it: mattr@fes-auto.com. The FES website was originally set up for UPS shipment (no APO), but he has just switched over to USPS which should be fine for APO addresses.

Old 01-27-2010, 11:07 PM
smoke05S
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Can someone please explain what this mod actually does? I am completely in the dark here!

Old 01-28-2010, 09:42 PM
Btwyx
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
They turn on sport mode automatically at startup.

Old 01-29-2010, 02:19 PM
Dr Obnxs
Former Vendor
But wait... There's more...

the FES unit can also set the DSC mode automatically at start up, as well as the auto start/stop if your car has it. The accessory control has been used for controlling aftermarket heated seats using the sport and DSC buttons as well.

And FES has no problem shipping to APOs. The CC processor flags those transactions as suspect. If you have a problem with the order via the web-site, you can e-mail me at mattr@fes-auto.com, like Richard says, or paypal the order total (including the flat rate shipping) to sales@fes-auto.com. Put the order details into the comments on the paypal order.

Thanks,

Matt

Old 01-29-2010, 04:14 PM
smoke05S
4th Gear
Hmm, My last car was an 1999 e36 M3. It had a sport button too. I remember seeing a mod for that car on roadfly.com which used a capacitor and resistor soldered to the back of the switch to accomplish the same thing. If I can find it I'll post the link.

Old 01-29-2010, 04:34 PM
slinger688
6th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
I have the FES unit and I would say it makes things pretty easy. I like having the sport button on all the time.

Old 01-31-2010, 08:28 PM
Dr Obnxs
Former Vendor
There are "roll your own" solutions

but they are rather limited. They can't do anything with the newer multimode DSC systems (like the DSC/DTC/eDLC on the new cars). They also can't be disabled (like for dealer visits) without being disconnected from the wiring. But they do work for mimicking a single button press when the car is started and they are inexpensive.

My unit has three button channels, can do the multi-mode DSC and can control accessories. It may not be for everyone, but it offers more than the others do.

Matt

Old 02-07-2010, 10:46 PM
smoke05S
4th Gear
I did a little more research and have more questions now. Check out this thread:
https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...-turn-off.html

Apparently you cannot completely disable the traction control with the factory buttons. This thread explains the three modes available without doing any mod. However no matter what it appears if you get slippage or you want the back to come around to help steer, this car wont do it.

With that in mind are you saying this mod can get around the factory settings and actually disable the traction control (so you can spin the tires continuously with wide open throttle and hang the back out etc, like I can on my 05 MCS)? or is it an easy way to program the buttons we already have (and just move the point of intervention)?

Old 02-08-2010, 10:45 AM
jcauseyfd
6th Gear
I don't really know the answer, but it sounds to me like it might be more a function of the combo with the LSD?

I'm glad I went with minimal options and just have the basic ASC on mine. As far as I can tell, when it is off, it is off, as I have not experienced a reduction in power when I've turned it off.

Old 02-09-2010, 08:18 AM
Dr Obnxs
Former Vendor
This mode won't get around any programming of the car...

all these mods do is automatically do the button action for you on start up, so you don't have to. The car will default to full DSC, non-sport, auto start/stop and each time you start the engine, you have to re-select the mode you prefere. All the various modules just configure the DSC the way you like it. Ours is also compatible with the DSC/DTC/eDLC mode in the newest Minis.

If you have any more questions, feel free to post them here, or e-mail me at mattr@fes-auto.com

Matt

Old 02-09-2010, 02:35 PM
Mini Fireman
5th Gear
Do you still have a trade-in deal on competitors modules?

Old 02-12-2010, 07:51 AM
Dr Obnxs
Former Vendor
Yep....

But it's not for the "roll your own" el cheapo. It's for the AmazingGrando and the KP Technologies that OutMotoring sold. $35 via paypal to sales@fes-auto.com, and send the old unit to

FES Auto
325 Sharon Park Dr. #652
Menlo Park, CA 94025

When we get your old unit, the new one goes out to you!

Matt

Old 10-24-2011, 07:33 AM
OKCdancer
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Dr Obnxs
all these mods do is automatically do the button action for you on start up, so you don't have to. The car will default to full DSC, non-sport, auto start/stop and each time you start the engine, you have to re-select the mode you prefere. All the various modules just configure the DSC the way you like it. Ours is also compatible with the DSC/DTC/eDLC mode in the newest Minis.

If you have any more questions, feel free to post them here, or e-mail me at mattr@fes-auto.com

Matt
Does your unit work on the 2011-2012 models?

Old 11-03-2011, 12:45 PM
tonyr57s
Neutral
Hi,

I tried to email Matt, but he doesn't answer to it ...

Any news ?

Old 08-21-2013, 11:23 AM
jwardell
6th Gear
Has anyone heard from Matt lately? I haven't heard since I ordered an auto sport from fes a few weeks ago.

Old 08-05-2014, 12:34 PM
Drivehard
4th Gear
I realize that this is a Thread from the Dead....

But does anyone know if any of this stuff is still available today...looks like some e-mails went unanswered

I would LOVE to have default sport mode on at engine start....

I have 2013 R58

Thanks !!

Old 08-05-2014, 12:50 PM
jcauseyfd
6th Gear
I don't think any of these solutions will work with the LCI MINIs. There was some change in the way the sport mode is activated that rendered these mechanical solutions obsolete. Seems like I did read about one solution that will work with the newer MINIs, but I'd have to do some digging/searching to find it.

Old 08-05-2014, 09:12 PM
Btwyx
6th Gear
Originally Posted by jcauseyfd
I don't think any of these solutions will work with the LCI MINIs.
Interesting, I never got around to trying to install it on the LCI MINIs, so I never found if it worked or not.