Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R56) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain From the “Baddest” to the “Deadest”

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2016, 12:46 PM
oldbrokenwind
6th Gear
Received 201 Likes on 172 Posts
Update --- cams arrived this AM, Cat # 1302603. Gotta stay in the box 'til the head gets here.

Interesting side note --- found an error in the Real OEM parts list. They show one "RectangRing" for the intake cam --- there's actually two on my OEM cam. Small stuff, but I expect better from them.

In an earlier post, I said the pistons were already ordered. Turns out, CP didn't accept the order, they want the head CC and the valve "free drop" #'s. Thumper provided the free drop while educating me on what this meant. Can't get the CC's 'til he's finished --- CP wants actual #'s, not calculated from OEM, so they can provide the requested 9.0:1CR. So, maybe I can expect the head in another couple weeks. Looks like pistons will be up to a month away, then 4 - 6 weeks more for engine block work.

Reminds me a lot of my old military basic training days --- hurry up and wait!

Old 09-14-2016, 12:49 PM
MiniMoic
4th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I wish I could buy an engine like this. But wondering if the setup will be a track friendly, or track "durable"?

Old 09-14-2016, 01:04 PM
oldbrokenwind
6th Gear
Originally Posted by MiniMoic
I wish I could buy an engine like this. But wondering if the setup will be a track friendly, or track "durable"?
Probably never gonna find out --- I'm getting too old and losing coordination / reaction time to be on a track with others.

Old 09-14-2016, 01:12 PM
MiniMoic
4th Gear
Ill drive it for you!!! LOL

Old 09-19-2016, 02:34 PM
Euler-Spiral
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey dont forget to deck the block before getting the pistons order finalised it usually is just a skim leaving a shadow but since this is a work of art it may help,,,,

Old 09-19-2016, 03:15 PM
oldbrokenwind
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Euler-Spiral
Hey dont forget to deck the block before getting the pistons order finalised it usually is just a skim leaving a shadow but since this is a work of art it may help,,,,
After adding a Cylinder Support System, decking the block is a "MUST" as the process leaves a slight "bump", and needs to be flattened. So, it's already in the plans, but thanx for thinking about it.

Old 09-26-2016, 12:06 PM
ridinDirty
4th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I like the sound of the Darton sleeves due to the stronger strength in the metal used to make them (130,000) but not being one complete support system it seams like you "could" get shifting.
Mine will be the werx as well !!
OBW, tell thumper to respond to my email, I'm ready to send him my head. Lol
Keep up the build, I will hold the title in Nv till you get back up and running. Lol

Old 09-26-2016, 04:24 PM
oldbrokenwind
6th Gear
Originally Posted by ridinDirty
I like the sound of the Darton sleeves due to the stronger strength in the metal used to make them (130,000) but not being one complete support system it seams like you "could" get shifting.
Mine will be the werx as well !!
OBW, tell thumper to respond to my email, I'm ready to send him my head. Lol
Keep up the build, I will hold the title in Nv till you get back up and running. Lol
Email has been sent to Thumper. Hopefully he's too busy finishing up my head to respond to you.

There's one other "enthusiast" I know of in the Reno area --- he's building an R56, but slowly. He's not taking my advice, and listening to the wrong vendors, so I don't consider him a threat to the title --- "Baddest Mini in Northern NV". Nowhere near our 300+ numbers. So, for the time being, the title is yours.

Just picked up my refurbished Carrillo rods --- looking pretty good.

Put the block, bottom half, in UPS this AM. On its way to NH for a CSS, re-bore to 77.5mm, decking, and "o-ring" install (soft metal on top of cylinder wall, for better seal with head gasket). They won't finish it 'til they get the pistons and that's gonna be another 3 - 4 weeks, but they can at least get a start with the CSS.

Ordered a bunch of stuff from my local Mini dealer --- bearings, gaskets, pins, dowels, seals, stuff I broke during dis-assembly, etc. Still more to order, just haven't decided on a source.

Old 10-12-2016, 07:32 PM
oldbrokenwind
6th Gear
Another update --- rods arrived a couple weeks ago --- lookin' pretty good.

Thumper's TPR1 arrived last week. Now to install lifters and rockers. Almost a pleasure to work on clean engine parts.

Picked up the dealer stuff a couple days ago. Decided to change timing chain stuff again --- dealer kit for chain, guides, bolts, tensioner, sprocket all came to under $100. Couldn't believe it!

So now I have about another week or so before pistons arrive. Pretty quick I'm gonna get busy.

Old 10-12-2016, 07:39 PM
MiniMoic
4th Gear
Originally Posted by oldbrokenwind
Another update --- rods arrived a couple weeks ago --- lookin' pretty good.

Thumper's TPR1 arrived last week. Now to install lifters and rockers. Almost a pleasure to work on clean engine parts.

Picked up the dealer stuff a couple days ago. Decided to change timing chain stuff again --- dealer kit for chain, guides, bolts, tensioner, sprocket all came to under $100. Couldn't believe it!

So now I have about another week or so before pistons arrive. Pretty quick I'm gonna get busy.

What rods are you using?

Old 10-12-2016, 08:28 PM
oldbrokenwind
6th Gear
What rods are you using?
Same ones I took out --- Carrillo. They were sent out for new bushings and minor repair on one of them (remove melted piston material). All balanced, cleaned up, and ready for install.

I should also mention that CNCWerx has completed the block CSS (Cylinder Support System) install. Just waiting for me to send the pistons.

Old 10-27-2016, 05:14 AM
MiniMoic
4th Gear
wondering about the 9.5 pistons.. They dont have the drop shapped top, no worries about that??

Old 10-27-2016, 11:27 AM
oldbrokenwind
6th Gear
wondering about the 9.5 pistons.. They dont have the drop shapped top, no worries about that??
True, the dome is different. However, it's the CR I need to lower, and I don't believe 9.5 is low enough, that's one reason I chose a customized 9.0. The "drop" shape is used for better fuel / air mixing, as I understand it, so yes, I'm sacrificing that. Since I didn't do any math to calculate pressure, temp, etc, my choice of 9.0 is strictly arbitrary --- a "SWAG"!. I'm betting that the Cylinder Support System I'm having installed will beef up the engine enough to tolerate the occasional full throttle I'll be using. I really want this to be a daily driver --- more or less.

The pistons I ordered arrived this week and have been sent to CNCWerx for them to measure then rebore the replacement block. They've already installed the CSS, just waiting for the pistons. Maybe in another couple weeks I'll have the block in hand to start reassembly. I'll post pics of the pistons and block before starting assembly. I've already noticed a significant "dish" in the piston top --- just the opposite of a "dome". For those interested, here's the piston spec sheet. The spec sheet pics are small but pretty accurate.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
CP Spec sheet.pdf (3.13 MB, 138 views)
Old 10-27-2016, 01:00 PM
MiniMoic
4th Gear
Everyday you learn something new

I wonder if that shape has same effect with idle than with WOT. I was also looking at lowering CR, but the only Pistons I found with lower CR are the supertechs. I know there is the custom option, but want to know the basics and if the shape makes sense for a track only car..

Old 11-16-2016, 11:05 AM
oldbrokenwind
6th Gear
Took the crankshaft and lower half of the block to a local machine shop. Crank was balanced and block was "hot tanked". Balancing was done to an order of magnitude better than OEM --- there's a new small drill hole in one of the counter-balance weights. I don't expect Manic to let me turn over 7200RPM, but I'm hoping to be ready if I can talk him into it.

And, before I forget again, the OEM cylinder head volume came in at 37cc's. After being worked by Thumper, it was "smoothed" to a finished volume of 36cc's.

CNCWerx shipped the finished block, pistons and ARP studs. Delivery scheduled for Nov 18. When it arrives, I'll take some pics and start a new build thread --- something positive, instead of dwelling on a dead toy. I'll post a link to finish this thread.

Old 11-19-2016, 03:07 PM
oldbrokenwind
6th Gear
OK, just started a new thread --- "OldBrokenWind's "Phoenix"" --- https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ml#post4258911 It picks up the assembly process, with pics, at least at first. Might not be too many pics during assembly.

Old 11-22-2016, 08:59 AM
ridinDirty
4th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I'm pulling for you !!!!!
I'm sure manic will let you spin it up !!