Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R56) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain Any reason to change my exhaust if I don’t go catles DP?

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2015, 10:36 AM
JMC1
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Any reason to change my exhaust if I don’t go catles DP?

I’ve dropped the 2nd cat and resonator on my 2010 R57, and that didn’t get the sound I was looking for. That and I'm not a big fan of the factory tips. So now I’m thinking about a new cat-back system, but as I sit here thinking about it I’m not sure I’ll gain anything because I have no plans to go with a Catles DP.
Should I just replace the muffler, that way I get a different sound and tips? Does the larger pipe from the DP to the muffler make much difference?

And if I did just go with a muffler, which one should I look at?
Thanks..

Old 05-04-2015, 10:54 AM
velvetcows
3rd Gear
What sound are you going for? A little elaboration on that will help.

Old 05-04-2015, 11:05 AM
JMC1
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by velvetcows
What sound are you going for? A little elaboration on that will help.
Sound isn’t the big issue. I guess I’m fine with the sound I have now, it’s a little raspy, and I would prefer a bit deeper sound. I’m not looking for loud. The main thing is I just want my car to breathe better. I just don’t want to waste money on a whole new system if I don’t need to. If I planned on going with a Catless DP than I’d be all about getting the whole system but with me keeping the stock catted DP I thought the bigger pipe going to the muffler may be unneeded.

Old 05-04-2015, 11:20 AM
Centium
3rd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If you want to lose the rasp, I would get the resonator back on the car... Just removing the 2nd cat may be all you needed. The resonator is a straight-through design, so it really shouldn't impact performance all that much if any at all.

Old 05-04-2015, 11:43 AM
Ovrclck
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Centium
If you want to lose the rasp, I would get the resonator back on the car... Just removing the 2nd cat may be all you needed. The resonator is a straight-through design, so it really shouldn't impact performance all that much if any at all.
I may do that for mine as well. I won't lose the loud bangs and pops if I put the resonator back on will I? I also have 2nd cat deleted.

Old 05-04-2015, 11:56 AM
Centium
3rd Gear
When I removed mine I did several test runs...

1.) Stock
Moderate pop n' burble, dumbed down exhaust sound...

2.) 2nd Cat removed. Resonator still in place.
Significantly more pop n' burble upon deceleration. More pronounced exhaust note during cold start and harder acceleration. No drone at constant speeds.

3.) Resonator and 2nd Cat removed.
Very sporty exhaust note with heavy pop n' burble upon deceleration. Cold start is a bit loud, but nothing that might wake the neighbors. Still no drone at constant speeds.

Old 05-08-2015, 10:59 PM
Systemlord
6th Gear
Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts
If you just want a cat back exhaust with awesome looking tips Borla is the best choice imo! The S-Type Borla Exhaust has a deeper tone than even the Akrapovic Evolution Exhaust and better tips, the tips on the Akrapovic look like a sleeper look mild. The Akrapovic has a great sound just not as a deep throaty as the Borla S-Type. You can hear the Borla better with your windows down!

Old 05-09-2015, 07:49 AM
Grizld700
6th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I'm very partial to my NM DP-Back exhaust. It has an awesome note. Plus there is no cutting involved. Slip off, slip on. That being said, it was a little more expensive. No where near Akra, or Innotech (i think thats one).

But to your original question. No is the answer. Cat-back exhaust will do very little. Unless you get into aggressive tuning. If you're not tuning, or doing very mild tuning, I would just get your exhaust to the note you like and leave it. No reason to do a full system. Spend that money elsewhere.

Old 05-09-2015, 12:44 PM
krashlocke
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The downpipe is the only part where you're really increasing the flow enough to add any noticeable power. Anything behind the downpipe is only adding noise. There's nothing wrong with that, of course... noise is cool.