Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R56) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain Boost problem

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2015, 09:54 AM
xaurfang
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Boost problem

So I changed my turbo into the k04 from JMturbocooper last year.

Initially after installing the turbo, my boost level won't past 0.5-0.6 bar, and thought that something was wrong with the ECU. After some fixing, it turns out that the wastegate was faulty. Some fixing was made, and currently, the max boost I'm getting is at 1.1 bar, which as to my knowledge, can still be pushed to about 1.6 bar (yes the internals are changed). I also changed my into the Forge Recirculatory valve.

Anyone knows why can't I bypass 1.1 bar? Currently leaning into making an external wastegate..

Thanks!!

Old 01-18-2015, 06:25 PM
oldbrokenwind
6th Gear
Received 201 Likes on 172 Posts
Working with the given info, my guess is you need a good tune for the bigger turbo. AFR is probably way off. My MCS ECU is limited to 22 PSI --- not sure what the JCW limit is. And, I'm too lazy to convert Bar to PSI, but 1.1 (about 16PSI?) seems way low.

One way to isolate / test the diverter valve is to disconnect the cable and plug in a 12 ohm resistor (to fool the ECU and prevent a code). If this gets you more boost, you might have a bad DV --- or maybe the ECU is activating the DV because of the big turbo?

Do you have access to monitoring equipment --- something to monitor the waste gate duty cycle and / or AFR? AccessPort does this, others probably do also.

I wouldn't mess with an external waste gate without getting a tune first.

Old 01-19-2015, 06:57 AM
xaurfang
1st Gear
Originally Posted by oldbrokenwind
Working with the given info, my guess is you need a good tune for the bigger turbo. AFR is probably way off. My MCS ECU is limited to 22 PSI --- not sure what the JCW limit is. And, I'm too lazy to convert Bar to PSI, but 1.1 (about 16PSI?) seems way low.

One way to isolate / test the diverter valve is to disconnect the cable and plug in a 12 ohm resistor (to fool the ECU and prevent a code). If this gets you more boost, you might have a bad DV --- or maybe the ECU is activating the DV because of the big turbo?

Do you have access to monitoring equipment --- something to monitor the waste gate duty cycle and / or AFR? AccessPort does this, others probably do also.

I wouldn't mess with an external waste gate without getting a tune first.
Yes, its about 15.9 psi

You mean the one computer that can show you the error code? I'm going to put my car at a workshop in 2 days.. At the moment there's a half check engine light (not operating with full power?) popping.

It's a new DV, so I really doubt its the problem, and the problem persisted when using the old DV too. But will try to check it anyway.

Actually, does installing a boost controller will fix the problem?

Last edited by xaurfang; 01-21-2015 at 03:46 AM.
Old 01-24-2015, 07:17 PM
oldbrokenwind
6th Gear
Originally Posted by xaurfang
Yes, its about 15.9 psi

You mean the one computer that can show you the error code? I'm going to put my car at a workshop in 2 days.. At the moment there's a half check engine light (not operating with full power?) popping.

It's a new DV, so I really doubt its the problem, and the problem persisted when using the old DV too. But will try to check it anyway.

Actually, does installing a boost controller will fix the problem?
Will you share with us the results of your workshop visit?

I don't know what kind of boost controller, if any, will work with the Mini turbo. And, if you can find one that works, your original problem will need to be fixed first. When the ECU decides to put you in the "limp mode", it alters other settings to ensure you're limping.

AccessPort monitors engine performance and deciphers error codes --- a very handy tool! Your workshop should have the necessary diagnostic tools to determine why you get the CEL. Keep us posted?

Old 01-25-2015, 10:37 PM
johntotah94
6th Gear
Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts
Lots of people run the wrong model Forge valve on their cars which causes a check engine light and limited boost. Make sure the Forge model number matches with your MINI's year.

Old 02-03-2015, 12:45 AM
xaurfang
1st Gear
Originally Posted by johntotah94
Lots of people run the wrong model Forge valve on their cars which causes a check engine light and limited boost. Make sure the Forge model number matches with your MINI's year.
I'm using the FMDVR60R which I believe is the appropriate one for the n18 engine..

Old 02-03-2015, 12:51 AM
xaurfang
1st Gear
Originally Posted by oldbrokenwind
Will you share with us the results of your workshop visit?

I don't know what kind of boost controller, if any, will work with the Mini turbo. And, if you can find one that works, your original problem will need to be fixed first. When the ECU decides to put you in the "limp mode", it alters other settings to ensure you're limping.

AccessPort monitors engine performance and deciphers error codes --- a very handy tool! Your workshop should have the necessary diagnostic tools to determine why you get the CEL. Keep us posted?
I just visited the workshop, and I think they use a monitoring tool made by autologic?

Oddly enough, even though they try to reset the error code, a different error code kept on appearing. The "limp mode" only appears when we drive it on the road, but if we try to boost or rev the car when stationary, the "limp mode" won't appear..

Currently trying to swap the waste gate actuator from the stock turbo to see if we can have any boost gains as tried by someone in this forum, and trying to disconnect the batteries to reset any error code logs..

Old 02-03-2015, 10:19 AM
oldbrokenwind
6th Gear
Originally Posted by xaurfang
I just visited the workshop, and I think they use a monitoring tool made by autologic?

Oddly enough, even though they try to reset the error code, a different error code kept on appearing. The "limp mode" only appears when we drive it on the road, but if we try to boost or rev the car when stationary, the "limp mode" won't appear..

Currently trying to swap the waste gate actuator from the stock turbo to see if we can have any boost gains as tried by someone in this forum, and trying to disconnect the batteries to reset any error code logs..
Boost on the Mini is controlled by engine "load" --- no load, no boost! So, trying to monitor turbo functions while in the shop requires a dyno or something similar to simulate a moving road. As a result, the ECU won't see "limp mode" conditions, just throw codes letting you know there's something wrong.

You probably noticed that RPM's are also limited while "in the shop". Gotta love that ECU! It can be re-programmed, but usually not necessary unless you want a higher "launch" RPM --- i.e., drag racing!

Hopefully, the code you're seeing relates to the waste gate --- getting access to the linkage is time consuming and awkward. Fixing the source of your code should be the highest priority.