Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R56) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain My R56M!N!AC Build

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2014, 02:07 PM
Roxspin72
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My R56M!N!AC Build

What's up NAM Members...

I have been on this site for a little over a year now and have been hit with the notorious MOD bug. I must say, It has been a fun year.

I wanted to share some feedback for Members Looking to Mod, highlighting the quality and performance of the MODs I have installed :

2013 MINI Cooper S (R56/N18)
  • JCW Suspension System; This was the best decision I made early on. Out the box it was installed at the Dealership upon My MINI's arrival, this suspension is the bomb. I could have saved money and went w/another aftermarket vendor, but priced into financing w/discount and full warranty, it takes the cake. Plus, it Straightens the twisties way more than stock sports susp .(Install: Moderate/MINI Mechanic)
  • MANIC Stage II + Tune w/SPS Switch; OH YEAH!!! Nuff Said
My R56M!N!AC Build-sps.jpg

• DOS CAI); Awesome sound, and compliments all other MODs(Install: Easy)
My R56M!N!AC Build-photo.jpg
  • ForgeResonator Delete Hose; A must for throttle response and sound. Why did MINI add a resonator to this pipe Who knows... (Install: Easy)
  • Un-Installed /SOLD Sprint Booster V2; I appreciate this MOD.You immediately feel the benefits of throttle response. Brings back that throttle cable feeling. There are those who would argue it's benefits. I say try it and if you are not impressed: return it (Install: Easy)
  • BMSClutch Stop; Why do you not have this Think of it as giving up the price of lunch, or a 12pk of cheap beer, you get the drift: Nuf said. (Install: Super Easy)
  • Un-Installed /SOLD BMS JB+ w For Sale/CAN Tool; By far the best bang for your buck when it comes to performance gains. The only issue I have with this is 2 things: 1) You must refrain from turning up the dial, but oh so tempting 2) Where is my JB4 But seriously, this is worth 10 times more than any CAI. (Install: Super Easy)
  • CNT Exhaust; Affordable, Sounds great, perfect compliment to a turbo back system. (Install: Moderate)
  • M3 Cat-less Downpipe; Got this DP from one of our very own members. Quality of the pipe/welds/ceramic coating is superb. Mario is a great guy, and offered tons of advice and info regarding this and other MINI Mod topics. The exhaust note is outstanding. Performance is exceptional. Not sure why I did not get a DP sooner. But glad that I waited, because this custom DP is the bomb!!! (Install: Difficult/due to space and stupid heat shields, otherwise Moderate)
My R56M!N!AC Build-photo-1.jpg
My R56M!N!AC Build-photo-2.jpg
  • ALTA FMIC; Got this for a great deal from one of our members. A perfect addition to the R56. Stock FMIC is to small, and will heat soak quickly. Running the ALTA keeps my AITs around 10deg above ambient at idle and in traffic, equal to ambient when you get on the throttle. Definatley a must if you live in hot humid areas orlan on tuning your MINI (Install: Moderate/had to do some cutting, could be chalked up as operator error )
  • Un-Installed Forge Recirculating Valve; Had issues with the piston sticking due to lack of Lube (Install: Was Moderate/Very tight space to work in)
  • Reinstalled Stock DV, but added the ALTA Uprated Spring, Awesome results...
  • Craven Speed Bullet Stubby Antenna; I'm Military, Why not (Install: Righty Tighty/Lefty Loosey)
  • WMW Mini Fini Scoop Grille; More for aesthetics, but it does open up the scoop, allowing air back into the Intake area. However, with more air comes water and debris Hence, the reason I opted out of the Oiled NM Filter and went with the Dry Filter Sleeved for more insurance and looks (Install: Easy)
  • Snow Performance Water Meth Kit:
My R56M!N!AC Build-sp.jpg

Controller Tucked away in the secret compartment
Attachment 96924

Tank in the Boot, with Pump stowed away out of sight out of mind
Attachment 96928

Lastly added a 315cc/min Micro Droplet Nozzle from Devils Own for a more efficient spray
Attachment 96922

Attachment 96926
(Install: Moderate/MINI Mechanic) as long as your Mechanic dose not hook up Controller Boost Tap to your vacuum line
  • NM Boost Tap: (For W/M Controller) Works as prescribed...
Attachment 96920 (Install: Easy)

Well, if anything I hope someone benefits from what I shared about my build. I must say, it feels good to reflect on all the work I have done on my MINIAC.

Soon to come

MANIC Stage II Plus is on its way!!!

Laters NAM
My R56M!N!AC Build-photo-3.jpg

Last edited by Roxspin72; 09-17-2014 at 08:08 PM. Reason: Updates
Old 06-17-2014, 02:25 PM
kyoo
6th Gear
Received 71 Likes on 53 Posts
nice! any plans on what you want to do with the car?

Old 06-17-2014, 02:41 PM
Roxspin72
4th Gear
Hmm...

Originally Posted by kyoo
nice! any plans on what you want to do with the car?
Not sure if this was a jab, LOL...

But I'll Bite: Plan on Motoring the hell out of it. Add more Mods and keep on Motoring.

THMMC; Deals Gap/BRPW, and a couple times down a drag strip and SOLO course.

I just love driving My R56.

Wish list for future MINIs: Own a GP and restore a Classic

Old 06-17-2014, 06:34 PM
solskjaer1999
4th Gear
Pretty sweet set-up man! Are you just sticking with the JCW suspension for now and going for coilovers at a later time? What W/M kit are you going with? What's next on the list after W/M? Keep having fun with it!

Old 06-17-2014, 08:41 PM
Roxspin72
4th Gear
Originally Posted by solskjaer1999
Pretty sweet set-up man! Are you just sticking with the JCW suspension for now and going for coilovers at a later time? What W/M kit are you going with? What's next on the list after W/M? Keep having fun with it!
Thanks,

I may change the springs for a lower look, and maybe a stiffer rear sway bar, but the JCW Kit is complete with coilovers and all the bushings, etc. It is a stiff but smooth ride.

I have my eye on the Snow Performance. Still researching. All I want is a dependable Pump/Tank/Hardware. I don't want to deal w/ an entire Methanol management system. I just need to cool things down and keep my baby safe during the summer, w/a hell of an increase in boost

Once I get my W/M installed, I plan on spicing up the Exterior, and enjoy some Motoring.

Take Care...

Old 06-18-2014, 07:30 AM
solskjaer1999
4th Gear
Very nice. If you're looking for a dependable Pump/Tank/Hardware, have you considered Devil's Own : http://www.alcohol-injection.com/en/147-cooper-s?

The exterior looks pretty cool as is, but I'm all for "making it your own". I look forward to your updates.

Old 06-18-2014, 07:32 AM
kyoo
6th Gear
Received 71 Likes on 53 Posts
Originally Posted by Roxspin72
Not sure if this was a jab, LOL...

But I'll Bite: Plan on Motoring the hell out of it. Add more Mods and keep on Motoring.

THMMC; Deals Gap/BRPW, and a couple times down a drag strip and SOLO course.

I just love driving My R56.

Wish list for future MINIs: Own a GP and restore a Classic
no not at all - had a sweet build going so i was just curious where it was going!

Old 07-30-2014, 02:50 PM
ridinDirty
4th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Nice write up...... I'm fixing to start the bolt up process myself. I have the boxes of goodies in the garage , just need to time to put them on......

what did you end up doing for your meth ? I installed Aquamist4 but have not tested/setup yet

Old 07-30-2014, 05:41 PM
Roxspin72
4th Gear
Originally Posted by ridinDirty
Nice write up...... I'm fixing to start the bolt up process myself. I have the boxes of goodies in the garage , just need to time to put them on......

what did you end up doing for your meth ? I installed Aquamist4 but have not tested/setup yet
Nice...

You are more brave than I. I had a Euro Mechanic install my W/M Kit. I went w/Snow Performance. I could not do the install due to my lack of electrical knowledge, LOL. However, the mechanic tapped the boost line to the wrong source. Ended up using my Vacuum line off the Diverter Valve I Guess that's why things are best done, by doing it yourself. Anyhow, just got my NM Boost tap in the mail, should have it all up and running by end of week. Looking forward to what my timing will look like with a proper
Meth setup...

Congrats on your soon to be installed mods. Your MINI will love em.

Laters...

Old 07-31-2014, 05:59 PM
Roxspin72
4th Gear
Updates

NM Boost Tap:

Attachment 96918

Attachment 96919

Attachment 96920

And then I was able to re-attach my Water/Meth Controller and run some Boost Juice:

Controller Tucked away in the secret compartment
Attachment 96924

Tank in the Boot, with Pump stowed away out of sight out of mind
Attachment 96928

Lastly added a 315cc/min Micro Droplet Nozzle from Devils Own for a more efficient spray
Attachment 96922

Attachment 96926

My R56M!N!AC is loving it

Old 08-01-2014, 01:33 PM
ridinDirty
4th Gear
You better get the vacuum cleaner out and clean the boot....lol
Nice job on the install....
Are you tuning it for power or just to help keep the valves clean and cooler
IAT ?
Notice your IAT drop ?
Whats your trigger ? RPM's , Boost ??
I can't wait to fire my system up

Old 08-01-2014, 01:35 PM
ridinDirty
4th Gear
As soon as I hit send I said I was a dummy.... I guess boost is the trigger since you added the boost tap...lolol

Old 08-01-2014, 02:40 PM
Roxspin72
4th Gear
Yes, my MINI needs a bath, LOL...

Tuning it for temps and clean benefits. Sort of a security aspect also. Right now running 50/50 blend. Will up it to 80/20 M/W in a week or so. Timing shows that the DME is loving it, showing upward to 8deg @WOT 4th gear pulls. Only have the JB+ @ 60%. Not sure if I will push it anymore, pending the 80/20 results... IAT has been about 10deg below ambient on average. I spent about $600 install/kit and all. I'm happy with it. 👍

Old 08-01-2014, 02:59 PM
ridinDirty
4th Gear
Is it just a liner spay or does it progress with more boost ??
What was your ambient temp today during your testing ?

Old 08-01-2014, 03:21 PM
Roxspin72
4th Gear
It's a progressive controller. I have it set to turn on at about 7-8psi, and full spray hits at about 11-12psi...

Tested yesterday, a bit humid with ambient temps of 86deg, driving around was reading 86-90 deg AIT, and then it would drop between 76-78 when the w/m kicked on...