R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 Why are people so misinformed about the MINI?

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2006, 09:23 AM
DustinDallas
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Why are people so misinformed about the MINI?

I know this has been beaten to death SO many times, but I need to vent.

WHY do the ignorant masses of people in this world have such a skewed image of the MINI? I'm finding that it's split about 50/50. Half the people "get it" and love the car. They see it as the real driver's car that it is.

Then there's the other half. The half that ask me why I want a chick car, a car that needs a turbo to keep up with a Geo Metro, the car that's closest competitor is a VW Beetle, the car that is on par with Kias but costs double because of the BMW name.

WHY? None of these people have driven a MINI, and certainly not a MCS, and their ridiculous attitute toward the car pisses me off to no end.

Even my own dad tells me he cant understand why I want "that toy thing" when I have a brand new Saab in the garage.

If you've driven the car and it's not your thing, that's fine. But if you know nothing about it and you're just spouting off missinformation...SHUT UP.

Ugh, I dont even own one and it pisses me off, I dont know how you guys do it.

Alright...i'm out, haha

Old 03-02-2006, 09:27 AM
kenchan
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
it's because it's small and cute looking.

can't deal with it? keep your saab... born from jets.

Old 03-02-2006, 09:29 AM
daemon2
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It's a good thing, if everyone got it everyone would have one. Its called selective breading I think.

Old 03-02-2006, 09:30 AM
Far
2nd Gear
Yeah I hear ya.. I'm always excited when I tell people about my MCS and they just think it's cute but don't know about the performance.

Old 03-02-2006, 09:32 AM
daemon2
4th Gear
The ride seals the deal.

Originally Posted by Far
Yeah I hear ya.. I'm always excited when I tell people about my MCS and they just think it's cute but don't know about the performance.
Just take them for a ride, that'll show em'.

Old 03-02-2006, 09:34 AM
DustinDallas
6th Gear
Originally Posted by kenchan
it's because it's small and cute looking.

can't deal with it? keep your saab... born from jets.
Haha...not a chance.

And I agree...born from jets...lame

I love the parental influence on my cars

Old 03-02-2006, 09:46 AM
fred3
4th Gear
Wow! While I think my MINI is the cats pajamas there is no way I'd even consider a negative response worth listening to much less let it get to me. I have never heard anyone say anything about it being a "chick" car. Either you must live in an area filled with shallow people, redneck country or California. Weird.

Old 03-02-2006, 09:50 AM
DustinDallas
6th Gear
Originally Posted by fred3
Wow! While I think my MINI is the cats pajamas there is no way I'd even consider a negative response worth listening to much less let it get to me. I have never heard anyone say anything about it being a "chick" car. Either you must live in an area filled with shallow people, redneck country or California. Weird.
Not necessarily people responding to me personally, I dont own a MINI. It's more in general...what I see on other auto forums, etc. Just the general "opinion" of the MINI by uninformed people...many of them lower class and ignorant. I suppose that explains most of the problem, haha.

Old 03-02-2006, 10:07 AM
Califzeph
5th Gear
That's why when people say "You must get great gas mileage!" I reply with "Not the way I drive!"

Old 03-02-2006, 10:08 AM
kyriian
6th Gear
bottom line is people have their own opinion.... if they think its a chick car.. let them think all they want! to me... people need a car to prove their sexuality, there's something seriously wrong with you

cars have no sex.. cars are machines... for god's sake!

also, if someone doesnt like the car, they will make any excuse to justify their position... and all the rides in a mini will not change that... maybe sway them, but not change it entirely

i wouldnt care too much... coming from people who's never driven the car, let alone own one... matters nothin to me

Old 03-02-2006, 10:15 AM
DrkSilver163
5th Gear
do you have any idea how many girls think im gay because i drive the MINI? not that theres anythign wrong with being gay, but i dont want girls to think im gay...for obvious reasons. and too many in the past think so, even after a ride. but most people seem to be moderately informed by now about the MINI's stellar performance attributes. i just think that its funny how ignorant some people can me to make the assimilation: MINI=Gay. but thats just me

Old 03-02-2006, 10:20 AM
daemon2
4th Gear
What?!

Originally Posted by DrkSilver163
do you have any idea how many girls think im gay because i drive the MINI? not that theres anythign wrong with being gay, but i dont want girls to think im gay...for obvious reasons. and too many in the past think so, even after a ride. but most people seem to be moderately informed by now about the MINI's stellar performance attributes. i just think that its funny how ignorant some people can me to make the assimilation: MINI=Gay. but thats just me
I have never heard of the Mini being that type of car. It's not a Saturn....:impatient

Old 03-02-2006, 10:22 AM
mightydread
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Califzeph
That's why when people say "You must get great gas mileage!" I reply with "Not the way I drive!"
lol , i say they same thing . all depends on the way i drive .

Old 03-02-2006, 10:26 AM
Shazam's white lightning
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by KRGMini05
the car that's closest competitor is a VW Beetle...
Nothing says gaye like a flower on your dash

Old 03-02-2006, 10:28 AM
intofx
3rd Gear
Funny, I haven't really gotten that kind of response. Actually, most people think it's faster than it really is. I get more stereotyping from my other cars. And really who cares in the end if you are having fun.

Old 03-02-2006, 10:38 AM
DustinDallas
6th Gear
Its not that it bothers me. I would proudly drive a MINI and not care. Most of MY buddies like them, because they people I tend to get along with are car people as well.

Its the stereotype the MINI has among the "less informed" that bothers me. I hate how cars get judged on appearance alone.

Luckily the MINIs sales havent been impacted.

Old 03-02-2006, 10:41 AM
DustinDallas
6th Gear
Originally Posted by DrkSilver163
Haha, well i havent really experienced anything like that. But I dont own one yet so thats obvious.

I'm referring to the general idea that the MINI is an underwhelming car with more emphasis on style than performance. This typically = pointless "gay" remarks like you've recieved, but that's an entirely different issue. Gotta love ignorant people.

Old 03-02-2006, 10:57 AM
haulinS
3rd Gear
somebody here on the forum (can't remember who at the moment) has something along these lines on their sig, "mini's are cute but so are pitt bulls and snub nose 38s".

Old 03-02-2006, 11:07 AM
eVal
6th Gear
How old are these people? The whole chick car/ gay car thing is very puerile.

Either people know about cars or they don't, those types of remarks display an ignorance that just makes that person look foolish. The choice is to educate them or let them go live with their opinions based on stupidity.

I find that people who know cars give respect where it is due and then the discussion of appearances is another thing generally falling into like/dislike based on lines, key design elements, then aggressive vs cute... Some people just cannot handle being cute

Old 03-02-2006, 11:09 AM
DustinDallas
6th Gear
Originally Posted by eVal
The choice is to educate them or let them go live with their opinions based on stupidity.
I try, but some people just dont want to listen. I think thats the part that frustrates me the most.

Old 03-02-2006, 11:27 AM
MCLeonard
5th Gear
Gas Milage

Originally Posted by Califzeph
I get people asking about the gas milage all the time. When I give them a number the usual reply is that they thought it would get more mpg. Then I explain that it is fast and I like to drive sporty... I think I am just going to give out a really high number from now on.

Today I when I was getting coffee the counter guy told me his wife doesn't want him to have a Mini because it is too small for big guys. He had ridden with a friend and knew it was fast and moddable and he thought he fit in it fine. I guess I will have to explain to his wife.

Old 03-02-2006, 11:30 AM
MarkS
5th Gear
"Oh, I see you've mistaken me for someone who cares what you think!"

Mark

Old 03-02-2006, 11:32 AM
MSFITOY
OVERDRIVE
Received 33 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by haulinS
somebody here on the forum (can't remember who at the moment) has something along these lines on their sig, "mini's are cute but so are pitt bulls and snub nose 38s".
and don't forget PDW sub-machine guns I guess it also depends on how you dress your Mini...skirts or combat boots

Old 03-02-2006, 11:32 AM
Dr Obnxs
Former Vendor
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
You're commenting more on a social disease than anything Mini specific.

Comes from arrogance, and our populations general confusion between BS and knowledge!

Matt

Old 03-02-2006, 11:34 AM
DustinDallas
6th Gear
Haha, these responses made me feel better about this crap.

Quick Reply: R50/53 Why are people so misinformed about the MINI?