R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 Why are people so misinformed about the MINI?

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2006, 11:39 AM
saakey
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think you will find that with any car that is just so different from the norm. I still hate large SUV's and rip on them whenever I can...I will never get it. So too are there people that don't get the MINI - I say f 'em... Their problem, not mine - don't let it get to you.

Cheers

Old 03-02-2006, 11:41 AM
Aviators
3rd Gear
personally I've always loved sleepers

Everyone knows a Camaro is fast, not everyone knows a MINI is fast, I like that.

Old 03-02-2006, 11:53 AM
FLORA BLUE
6th Gear
I kinda equate that type of mentality with "*****/boob envy".... Mick

Old 03-02-2006, 12:01 PM
Dr Obnxs
Former Vendor
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Now that's just stopid...

Originally Posted by saakey
I think you will find that with any car that is just so different from the norm. I still hate large SUV's and rip on them whenever I can...I will never get it. So too are there people that don't get the MINI - I say f 'em... Their problem, not mine - don't let it get to you.

Cheers
If you have 4 people in an SUV like my MDX, you're getting 72 people miles per gallon.

Two in my Mini, and you're getting 48 people miles per gallon.

If you have a wife, a baby, a stroller and a bunch of luggage, you aren't going anywhere in a Mini, at least not easily.

Ripping SUV owners just because you don't get it is just as dumb as ripping Mini owners because you just don't get it.

Matt

Old 03-02-2006, 12:01 PM
thulchatt
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Why do you really care

In a world full of SUVs and Buick's, it just points out that most people know very little about cars.
I get a strange look when I tell people I have a MINI, but I kind-of like that.

Old 03-02-2006, 12:06 PM
saakey
5th Gear
exatly my point - it doesn't make sense does it ..so get over it and don't worry about what others think ...or what I think. Hahaha

Originally Posted by Dr Obnxs
If you have 4 people in an SUV like my MDX, you're getting 72 people miles per gallon.

If you have a wife, a baby, a stroller and a bunch of luggage, you aren't going anywhere in a Mini, at least not easily.

Ripping SUV owners just because you don't get it is just as dumb as ripping Mini owners because you just don't get it.

Matt

Old 03-02-2006, 12:10 PM
jdjeff58
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by KRGMini05
I know this has been beaten to death SO many times, but I need to vent.

WHY do the ignorant masses of people in this world have such a skewed image of the MINI? I'm finding that it's split about 50/50. Half the people "get it" and love the car. They see it as the real driver's car that it is.

Then there's the other half. The half that ask me why I want a chick car, a car that needs a turbo to keep up with a Geo Metro, the car that's closest competitor is a VW Beetle, the car that is on par with Kias but costs double because of the BMW name.

WHY? None of these people have driven a MINI, and certainly not a MCS, and their ridiculous attitute toward the car pisses me off to no end.

Even my own dad tells me he cant understand why I want "that toy thing" when I have a brand new Saab in the garage.

If you've driven the car and it's not your thing, that's fine. But if you know nothing about it and you're just spouting off missinformation...SHUT UP.

Ugh, I dont even own one and it pisses me off, I dont know how you guys do it.

Alright...i'm out, haha
I buy the vehicles I buy because those vehicles impress ME. I really don't give a rats *** whether other people are impressed or not.

The 'unimpressive' Mini leaves a stupid look on peoples' faces after they've unsuccessfully rode my ***. That's the only impression I care to make. And boy is that FUN!

Old 03-02-2006, 12:11 PM
eVal
6th Gear

Matt
Since when is an MDX a large SUV? A large SUV would be something like an Expedition, and its not often one seems them used to capacity (at least around here anyway) or even close to it. Wife/baby/luggage if not done in a Mini has plenty of other options, anyway, let's not start one of those threads again, I think all of the points were gone over some time ago already

Anyway, he is admitting "I will never get it" and was referring to people who, likewise, will never get the Mini.

Old 03-02-2006, 12:12 PM
chows4us
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by KRGMini05
WHY do the ignorant masses of people in this world have such a skewed image of the MINI? .... their ridiculous attitute toward the car pisses me off to no end. ...
Why do you care what "others" think Its a free country, they can think whatever they want. You dont have to agree.

But if you know nothing about it and you're just spouting off missinformation...SHUT UP.

Dude ... wrong country. Free press. People can express any opinion they want. Its called AMERICA. You don't have to agree ... but you DO have to let them have to say ... Its one of the reasons all our military heros died to let you have that freedom.

Old 03-02-2006, 12:15 PM
saakey
5th Gear
Originally Posted by eVal
Since when is an MDX a large SUV? A large SUV would be something like an Expedition, and its not often one seems them used to capacity (at least around here anyway) or even close to it. Wife/baby/luggage if not done in a Mini has plenty of other options, anyway, let's not start one of those threads again, I think all of the points were gone over some time ago already

Anyway, he is admitting "I will never get it" and was referring to people who, likewise, will never get the Mini.
Thanks, thats what I really wanted to say..but I didin't want to stereotype the Large SUV crowd of the world...but I think you got what I was taking about

Old 03-02-2006, 12:17 PM
MSFITOY
OVERDRIVE
Received 34 Likes on 23 Posts
I get a vehicle rotation every few months here at GM and guess what I landed this time? You guessed it...a brand new seven passenger Escalade to carry all 160lbs of me Now I'm the jerk driving alone in a road hog...:impatient

Why couldn't it have been a Sky

Old 03-02-2006, 12:20 PM
Greatbear
Moderator :: Performance Mods
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
My retort to anyone playing the MINI=gay car game is to agree - take one on something other than a straight road and see how much fun it is.

Old 03-02-2006, 12:21 PM
SCUBASID
1st Gear
Why do you give a #$*&@($&@!+*%^

Sounds like a napoleonic complex, or maybe you need a F150 Dualies with monster tires will prove your masculinity to them,,,,
Besides Who gives a flying &$*#&(@&@((@ what they think ? :impatient

Old 03-02-2006, 12:23 PM
Dr Obnxs
Former Vendor
Whatever...

But closed minded is just stupid. I'll stick with that. One of my favorite quote (and bumberstickers) is "Your mind is like a parachute. It only works when it's open" Cars are tools, fun tools, but tools. There are optimal uses for all of them. Judgemental BS isn't what our country is about. Although one is free to be judgemental and spout BS.

Matt

Old 03-02-2006, 12:25 PM
eVal
6th Gear
Originally Posted by MSFITOY
I get a vehicle rotation every few months here at GM and guess what I landed this time? You guessed it...a brand new seven passenger Escalade to carry all 160lbs of me Now I'm the jerk driving alone in a road hog...:impatient

Poor guy, and you have to pay to fuel it out of your pocket? Yeah, a Sky would be neat, nice Opalesque design - should be nice with a good engine in it

Time to set up a work commute group in the Escalade or get some big dogs to keep you company

Edit - Dr Obnxs I think it would help to take the remark with the lightness in tone and just offered in support to the poster that it seems was intended...

Old 03-02-2006, 12:25 PM
sprp85
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
some think white roof chili red minis are gay but black roof chili red minis are fine... some think it's a piece of **** + costing so much because it's an import from europe. so many pep have different thoughts about our minis.. well it is just their opinions.. so I really do not care.

My friends told me I'm stupid and all that crap when I bought my mini (iam asian.. so are my friends.. and you know what they love to drive..) but when i whipped around corners like theres no tomorrow with 3 of my friends in my car, they were holding on to the 'o sh*t handle' with their lives and yelling at me to stop.

oh and..... girls love my mcs.... mmm yes.

Old 03-02-2006, 12:26 PM
saakey
5th Gear
But, you can probably drive over the speed limit when it snows out and cut people off as they will surely move out of your way..Remember you are bigger

Originally Posted by MSFITOY

Old 03-02-2006, 12:27 PM
bamatt
6th Gear
Well I try to do my part in Alabama to let people know that the MINI isn't slow At least all the local people who have ever pulled up beside me at a red light know the Mini isn't slow

Old 03-02-2006, 12:27 PM
Dr Obnxs
Former Vendor
Stereotype warning!!!!

Get out the waders.... IT's getting deep!

Matt

Old 03-02-2006, 12:32 PM
MSFITOY
OVERDRIVE
Received 34 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by eVal
Poor guy, and you have to pay to fuel it out of your pocket? Yeah, a Sky would be neat, nice Opalesque design - should be nice with a good engine in it

Time to set up a work commute group in the Escalade or get some big dogs to keep you company

Edit - Dr Obnxs I think it would help to take the remark with the lightness in tone and just offered in support to the poster that it seems was intended...
Luckly, they pay for the gas...talk about shooting themselves in the foot

I was thinking of packing the whole family and tow Msfitoy on a trailer down to the Dragon

Old 03-02-2006, 12:34 PM
The MINITOR
6th Gear
Originally Posted by daemon2
I have never heard of the Mini being that type of car. It's not a Saturn....:impatient
And Saturn's have anything to do with sexual orientation? This is the same exact attitude that is the problem, no matter what the car. There is probably a post just like this on a saturn forum where someone says "I dont get it, its not a MINI".

Anyways, I also enjoy that not everyone knows about the MINI's performance. So when those big heavy cars think that they are faster rev their engines I can just laugh because they have no clue, or take off if I feel so inclined. Its nice to have surprise on your side.

I think that MINI's are sometimes thought of as girl cars, etc because there is not much else to compare it too. The VW Beetle is a classic small car that was re-born, it makes sense for someone without much car knowledge to compare them them. And I am guilty of thinking VW Beetles are a bit girly, (though I am sure I would enjoy driving a silver turbo Beetle with black leather for a week). Or someone might compare it to some other small car that is nothing like the MINI, like a Toyota Prius. Why would they compare the two? Because they are small I guess.

Bottome line is men are big and manly. And girls are petitte. Right? No, but that is common thought. I also realize that having 3 chihuahuas might not be considered very manly, but I wouldnt trade them in for bigger dogs either, they are just what I want, just like my MINI.

Old 03-02-2006, 12:35 PM
XAlfa
Banned
"I love my gay car!!"

"I can't quit you, Cooper."

Old 03-02-2006, 12:39 PM
Dr Obnxs
Former Vendor
HMFG!!!! Quote of the day!

Originally Posted by XAlfa
"I love my gay car!!"

"I can't quit you, Cooper."
Really made me laugh!

Matt

Old 03-02-2006, 12:44 PM
bamatt
6th Gear
I hate SUV's, I will always hate SUV's & that's my right. I don't hate the people who drive them I just hate SUV's. A family of 4 can fit in a sedan just as good as they can fit in a gas-guzzling, can't see around, safety hazard of an SUV.

For anybody that hates my Mini. Hate on. I have enough Mini love for us all

Old 03-02-2006, 12:52 PM
DustinDallas
6th Gear
But closed minded is just stupid. I'll stick with that. One of my favorite quote (and bumberstickers) is "Your mind is like a parachute. It only works when it's open" Cars are tools, fun tools, but tools. There are optimal uses for all of them. Judgemental BS isn't what our country is about. Although one is free to be judgemental and spout BS.

Matt
Thank you.

To everyone...once again, I am not talking about personal experiences, some of you are missinterpreting this. I DO NOT own a MINI, no one calls ME gay.

Like Dr Obnxs said, close-minded people are stupid, and that is my point.

Quick Reply: R50/53 Why are people so misinformed about the MINI?