R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 Why are people so misinformed about the MINI?

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2006, 04:08 PM
gokartride
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by OmToast
But can't we just hit "those people" with our vaporizing ray guns?
Abso-freakin-lutely!!!!

Old 03-02-2006, 04:10 PM
OmToast
OVERDRIVE
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well, in reference to the hood scoop we could launch into a basic anatomy lesson... but lets not.

I also don't think that just because Marketing Whiznuts do something it's "right". I also also don't thin that the Whiznuts would do it if it didn't "work" and I don't think it will ever stop "working" if everyone who suscribes to such silliness thinks that they do not have to stop being so silly.

So why not wake up tomorrow morning and decide that sexism is going to stop with you, and refrain, forevermore, from referring to cars as "chick cars"?

(Oh yay! I get to pull out the ray gun! )

Old 03-02-2006, 04:13 PM
Cinnamon_Girl
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
And while we're at it, why not hate on Mini vans, too? They're just as big as explorers.
Anyways, if you really care about what other people think then maybe you should re-evaluate your self-esteem. You only get one life, so just do whatever makes you happy. Who cares about the rest of 'em, ya know?

Old 03-02-2006, 04:23 PM
gr8britwjh
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Cinnamon_Girl
And while we're at it, why not hate on Mini vans, too? They're just as big as explorers.
Anyways, if you really care about what other people think then maybe you should re-evaluate your self-esteem. You only get one life, so just do whatever makes you happy. Who cares about the rest of 'em, ya know?
That's probably what the Hummer and Expedition drivers are thinking....but it's a selfish attitude; you can't just cruise through life doing whatever makes "you" happy.

Old 03-02-2006, 04:31 PM
gokartride
6th Gear
To tell you the truth, there are so many SUVs around where I live/motor I can't afford to be much of a hater. In any case, these SUV drivers have never been anything but completely and totally courteous to me...and I to them. They, strangely, seem to love MINI's, too...maybe in the same manner as you would love a small insect that is so tiny that you could crush it at a moment's whim. Either way, I'm good!!

Old 03-02-2006, 04:54 PM
DrkSilver163
5th Gear
i looooooove minivans, seriously! my Dodge Caravan is a piece of Junk but it will always have a special place in my heart.

Old 03-02-2006, 04:54 PM
KennyMooper
5th Gear
I think it comes down to an attitude....I mean the kids who go around wearing their t-shirts with "HOLLISTER" or "A&F" or something as big as humanly possibly written across the front, those kids are the ones who will live and die based on what "those people" think. All their opinions come from either 1. their friends; 2. their friends' cousins; 3. afternoon shows on MTV; 4. The OC on FOX. They're the ones who will appear on "My Super Sweet 16". I will never give a darn what those kids think, even after they become unsuccessful immature adults. And those of us who dare drive around in our mix of Wal-Mart and catalog fashions will laugh at them.

But I have been around a few guys, and they were looking my car over, and I was bracing for the "gay car"/"chick car" comments, but they all loved it. It was like they wanted to bash it, but it was just irresistible up close. It's like it says "I wuv you" to everybody and they can't help but love it back.

Old 03-02-2006, 05:01 PM
eVal
6th Gear
Its not simply the size, but the height and a variety of factors that make them less safe all around - do a search on 'SUV', you'll find some lively discussions about it

Old 03-02-2006, 05:02 PM
gr8britwjh
4th Gear
Originally Posted by KennyMooper
I think it comes down to an attitude....I mean the kids who go around wearing their t-shirts with "HOLLISTER" or "A&F" or something as big as humanly possibly written across the front, those kids are the ones who will live and die based on what "those people" think. All their opinions come from either 1. their friends; 2. their friends' cousins; 3. afternoon shows on MTV; 4. The OC on FOX. They're the ones who will appear on "My Super Sweet 16". I will never give a darn what those kids think, even after they become unsuccessful immature adults. And those of us who dare drive around in our mix of Wal-Mart and catalog fashions will laugh at them.

But I have been around a few guys, and they were looking my car over, and I was bracing for the "gay car"/"chick car" comments, but they all loved it. It was like they wanted to bash it, but it was just irresistible up close. It's like it says "I wuv you" to everybody and they can't help but love it back.
Again, that's stereotyping to the nth degree. I'm (nearly) 46, work as a senior research scientist for a major US company and wear A&F, now & then. Don't judge a book by it's cover

Old 03-02-2006, 05:55 PM
XAlfa
Banned
Originally Posted by gr8britwjh
I'm (nearly) 46, work as a senior research scientist for a major US company and wear A&F, now & then.
Reading between the lines here... "I'm a middle-aged male technocrat geek with sexual identity issues."

Old 03-02-2006, 06:05 PM
XAlfa
Banned
Originally Posted by DrkSilver163
Everyone has a right to their opinions, its just them being misinformed and leading to random conclusions that sort of bothers me.
Yeah, me too. Especially when their random conclusions end up sending our troops into battle.

(Uh, oh... I think I'm in trouble...)

Old 03-02-2006, 06:06 PM
kenchan
6th Gear
Originally Posted by MSFITOY
Msfitoy IS a girl car and I'm a lesbian

TMI!!!

Old 03-02-2006, 06:55 PM
Far
2nd Gear
I don't understand why some people here are attacking the thread starter.. he's just venting some of his opinions about what he thinks. It's obvious not all people will agree.. really people shouldn't be angry at other's opinions.

Anyhow, there are a lot of people out there who don't appreciate the MINI but thankfully you won't find them here on NAM.

Old 03-02-2006, 07:10 PM
Rawhyde
5th Gear
Received 13 Likes on 1 Post
In about 6 weeks, I will have had my MINI for a year. In that time, I've yet to hear the first negative comment on the car. People either "get it" or they think it is some hyper-performing super exotic that costs megadollar$. Most folks are stunned when they learn that the car didn't cost $60K or more.

Old 03-02-2006, 07:26 PM
Newdl
5th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
lol

I think people start to understand the performance side of the car after they get out......put thier head between thier knees....and look at you and say...do you drive like that all the time? That was close...we broke 70 on that off ramp......

Old 03-02-2006, 10:22 PM
DustinDallas
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Far
I don't understand why some people here are attacking the thread starter.. he's just venting some of his opinions about what he thinks. It's obvious not all people will agree.. really people shouldn't be angry at other's opinions.
Haha, it's all good. Thanks for sticking up for me

Old 03-03-2006, 01:14 AM
SilverRocket
4th Gear
Originally Posted by DrkSilver163
do you have any idea how many girls think im gay because i drive the MINI? not that theres anythign wrong with being gay, but i dont want girls to think im gay...for obvious reasons. and too many in the past think so, even after a ride. but most people seem to be moderately informed by now about the MINI's stellar performance attributes. i just think that its funny how ignorant some people can me to make the assimilation: MINI=Gay. but thats just me
Not that there's anything wrong with that...

You should try driving one with a license plate that is often interpretted as a brand name for an adult massage aide. Ever since I saw that ad in an ex-girlfriend's catalog from a "toy party" a couple years ago, I've been hanging onto my vanity plates (SILV RKT) just to prove to myself that I'm secure enough in my heterosexuality to drive around in a hatchback named after a vibrator

Old 03-03-2006, 07:52 AM
snapper
3rd Gear
I think the Mini is a "cute" car for chicks.....

but it's also a poor person's "value,"
and a rich person's "toy,"
and a hard-core enthusiast's "tool,"
and a....

Never seen another car that can appeal to so many different people for so many different reasons.... good on you BMW.

IMHO, most sales go to the chick or value categories and therefore tend to influence most of the non-owner public opinions. I only personally know a half dozen Mini owners and all are "chicks" - most bought for style, some bought for value (but with style tipping the decisions). On the other hand, Mini internet forums are mostly composed of enthusiast males - non-enthusiast's wouldn't waste their time here. I must say, however, that I have never seen so many females members on another auto board.

Let the general public think what they will... I have no problems with sharing this secret with the "chicks"...

Old 03-03-2006, 08:10 AM
bamatt
6th Gear
I am a chick. I bought my Mini because of it's unique look, price was right for such a well made auto, & it's pretty zippy for such good gas mileage. So I guess I bought for style, value, & speed.

For all you guys worried about what people think why don't you get a new decal

I drive a MINI. What are you compensating for?

Old 03-03-2006, 09:34 AM
snapper
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by bamatt
For all you guys worried about what people think why don't you get a new decal

I drive a MINI. What are you compensating for?
New BEST POST EVER

Old 03-03-2006, 10:00 AM
KennyMooper
5th Gear
all this time I thought it was ba-matt......just realized I guess it's bama-tt haha I thought you were a guy named matt!

Old 03-03-2006, 10:01 AM
Merkursport
4th Gear
I am a former classic mini owner and one of the reasons that I bought my first mini was that my wife was crazy about it... so yeah, I guess that I did buy if because it's a 'chicks' car. Furthermore, I'll take a car that the ladies love every time, as I am quite self-assured and well, like hanging out with ladies...duh!

(And they include my wife and 2.5 year old daughter - who absolutely LOVE the MINI)

Nuff said!

Old 03-03-2006, 10:35 AM
bamatt
6th Gear
Originally Posted by KennyMooper
all this time I thought it was ba-matt......just realized I guess it's bama-tt haha I thought you were a guy named matt!
Everybody thinks I am a guy

In the spirit of the thread should I be reverse offended

My initials are TT & I am from Alabama (thus the name ). I wish they had a girly avatar so everyone would know.

Maybe I should put in my sig: I am a girl

Old 03-03-2006, 01:36 PM
lhoboy
6th Gear
Originally Posted by bamatt
I hate SUV's, I will always hate SUV's & that's my right. I don't hate the people who drive them I just hate SUV's.
I'm not a bigot! I hate everyone equally!

Old 03-03-2006, 01:39 PM
lhoboy
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Merkursport
I am quite self-assured and well, like hanging out

Around here, they throw people in jail for that!

Quick Reply: R50/53 Why are people so misinformed about the MINI?