R55 :: Clubman Talk (2008+) Discussions revolving around the extended wheelbase Clubman (R55) model.

R55 Clubman or 2010 Prius? What to do, what to do...

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2009, 10:23 PM
trow
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Clubman or 2010 Prius? What to do, what to do...

Hello Mini Friends,

I've been enjoying this forum and it's wonderful posts for about 4 months as I've been lusting after the Clubman. This is my first post. Hey there!

Well, I test drove the clubbie four months ago and fell in love.
I've configured countless Clubman's on Mini's website, that site is addictive!

Then I told myself I needed to consider a hybrid before I made a move.
I test drove the '09 Prius and it was a night and day driving experience from the Mini for me.

Then I read about the Honda Insight, so I waited until it came out.
Just test drove that and was pleasantly surprised. I am also waiting to test drive the 2010 Prius. I think enough time has passed since my Mini test drive so I'm not comparing it as much.

Because I generally keep a car for about 8-10 years, this is a big decision for me. I've also never purchased a brand new car.

If you could help (I know which one you will vote for, and that's probably why I'm asking that would be great.

My deal:

I drive to SF round trip once a week 300 miles and otherwise drive to town 3x week, 60 miles. (I live in the Sierra foothills lots of fun curves).

My current car is a 1999 Rav 4 with 171k miles. I get between 26-30/mpg. I also have a 1969 GMC pickup that I use as a tow vehicle. Let's not even discuss the mpg's on that bad boy.

Good gas mileage is a really big factor in my buying decision. I've been all over this forum and there seems to be a huge range in what Mini peeps are getting for their mpg's from 24 mpg's - 45+ mpg's.

Driving experience and interior style are also important. No hybrid can touch the Mini in this arena.

Is there anyone else who is deciding (or decided) between the Mini & Prius? Is anyone holding out for the 2011 Mini? Who the heck can wait that long? Though I am thinking about it...!

As far as how people react to me in each car, I'm not too concerned with that. "I yam what I yam".

Every time I tell myself, "do the sensible thing, get a hybrid", a Mini goes zipping by and I get a pang of jealousy! Ha!

Thanks for any advice you may have. Happy travels!

Old 04-17-2009, 10:45 PM
spike1201
2nd Gear
FYI, I'm currently working on the animations and configurator for the 2010 Prius. The new web site ought to go live early-mid May '09. That'll give you a whole lot more information to juggle.

I, myself, am a MINI owner. A damn happy MINI owner. Three weeks ago, I returned my 2006 MINI lease to purchase a 2009 MCC. I considered hybrids a bit, but since the MINI's gas mileage is pretty good, it all came down to one thing for me: How fun is this car going to be?

Simply put, if I'm going to be using it every damn day, I'd better enjoy it every damn day.

That's how I motor.

Spike

Old 04-17-2009, 10:51 PM
BuzzCut1
3rd Gear
just my .02 from fire & rescue experience

I have responded to 3-4 rolled Prius up here on the mountain in the past few years, I have yet to respond to a rolled Mini or Clubman [let alone one involved in a wreck]

take it for what it's worth.

Old 04-17-2009, 10:55 PM
trow
1st Gear
Spike,

Very cool that you're doing the animations & configurations! I'll keep my eyes open for it.

You made a great point, "Simply put, if I'm going to be using it every damn day, I'd better enjoy it every damn day".

I just bought an expensive kitchen faucet with the same intention in mind.
I thought, hey, I'm gonna being using this thing all the time.

Now why don't I apply that to a car I'll drive every day?!

I'll keep quote that in mind for certain.

Old 04-17-2009, 10:58 PM
trow
1st Gear
Buzzcut,

I'll keep that in mind too (shivers down my spine). Yikes.

Keep up the good work you do.

Old 04-17-2009, 11:15 PM
jointheclubman
2nd Gear
Hey trow, I've also been lusting for the Clubman for quite a while and have yet to pull the trigger because of timing. However, I have never considered any hybrids when researching the Mini, mostly because the mileage between the two cars is comparable.

As such, the main factor for me is the fun factor. I don't imagine myself zipping through the twisties in a Prius, but I can imagine myself doing so in a Mini. (Which raises the question, non-S or S!? But that's a question for another time. )

However, you must remember that your decision is based solely on what you want out of the car. You noted that you would like to keep your car for 10 years -- in 10 years do you imagine yourself wanting to drive a Mini any more? Would your family needs change?

Either way, best of luck in making your decision. If you do decide to go the Mini route, we'll be waiting here to see those pictures

Old 04-17-2009, 11:26 PM
rasputinj
4th Gear
That is a night and day decision. One of our friends bought a Prius when we purchased our Clubman, the Prius is nice but really dull. If all you want is MPG then go with the Prius. If you want something fun that still gets pretty good MPG get the Clubman. My wife has never been big into cars, loves driving the Clubman. We have gotten friends addicted to the Clubman so they had to purchase their own. The clubman is a fun driving experience.

We have had Hondas for a long time. We have a had a few Accords and currently have a Pilot, before I test drove the Clubman I was thinking of getting an Accord, after I drove the Clubman the Accord was long forgotten. HTClubman and I fight over who drives the Clubman. Twisties are so fun in a Mini. Also the Clubman is more original than another Prius. Great gas mileage but very generic looking (a bit ugly IMHO). The Clubman has class it represents you as an individual.

In my opinion the only really cool electric vehicle is the Honda Clarity that hydrogren to electric to water is really cool. Now that car is still boring, but the concept is really cool, is a real electric not a hybrid (zero emissions) and is has some real get up and go, compared to a Prius.

Good luck join the dark side and get a Clubman, then we can see you and your Clubman at the SF Mini get together at Treasure Island in the Fall. I have never been part of car group as cool and open as Mini owners. We just went to A Mini Vacation in Vegas meet a bunch of awesome people. We have been modifying our Clubman to be a little unique to us.

Old 04-17-2009, 11:31 PM
rasputinj
4th Gear
Originally Posted by jointheclubman
Hey trow, I've also been lusting for the Clubman for quite a while and have yet to pull the trigger because of timing. However, I have never considered any hybrids when researching the Mini, mostly because the mileage between the two cars is comparable.

As such, the main factor for me is the fun factor. I don't imagine myself zipping through the twisties in a Prius, but I can imagine myself doing so in a Mini. (Which raises the question, non-S or S!? But that's a question for another time. )

However, you must remember that your decision is based solely on what you want out of the car. You noted that you would like to keep your car for 10 years -- in 10 years do you imagine yourself wanting to drive a Mini any more? Would your family needs change?

Either way, best of luck in making your decision. If you do decide to go the Mini route, we'll be waiting here to see those pictures
You will not have the Prius for 10 years, you will have to pay to replace a set of batteries and you do not want to pay for that.

Now I am big lover of the S, I love the get up and go and for us the Non-S was fun but not as fast, I am planning to have our Clubman for a long time, hopefully up to 10 years. I am already trying to think up a way to get a 2nd Clubman in a another couple of years.

The clubman is a awesome combination of good MPG, fun, and an extension of your own personality. Most fun car we have ever owned.

Old 04-17-2009, 11:54 PM
trow
1st Gear
Thanks for the response, jointheclubman & rasputinj.

Well, it sounds like the main factor in buying a Mini is fun, and I like fun

What other car are you considering, jointheclubman?

Yes, twisties in the Prius / Insight were a bit uneventful & unresponsive to say the least. Unfortunately I only got to drive the Mini on the freeway - if I would've driven it around here, I probably would have bought it on the spot!

As far as replacing the battery, the Insight's battery is covered for 100k miles, I would think the Prius would be the same. Over 10 years, the car would have far more miles on it though.

Have you heard anything about the Mini in Europe that has similar properties to a hybrid, i.e. charging the battery when braking and shutting off at a stop sign? I can't remember where I read it. I think it's different than the electric Mini. If someone has info. on this, please school me.

The SF Mini get together sounds fun. I'd like to check it out, if I'm mini'd by then or not . Thanks for the info.

I was in SF last week, picking something up in a parking garage. A woman in a mini pulled into the space next to me. Of course I couldn't help but ask her about her cooperS . She was so excited about it, she asked me if I wanted to sit in it and check it out! Two points for nice Mini owners.

Old 04-18-2009, 04:47 AM
ScottRiqui
OVERDRIVE
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Since it sounds like you're talking about almost 500 miles of interstate driving each week, be sure to find out how the Prius does on the highway as far as fuel economy goes. Since you don't do much braking on the highway (thus no recharging the battery from the regenerative braking system), many of the hybrids don't do much better than conventional cars on long freeway drives.

But if you do get a Prius, don't worry about the battery pack replacement cost. The packs are good for at least 8-10 years, and the price for a replacement Prius pack is already under $2500. By the time you'll need one, they'll probably be less than half that.

Old 04-18-2009, 06:09 AM
bahollings
3rd Gear
This is an easy one, I think your comparing apples to oranges. One is fun to drive, great looking, good handling, stands out in a crowd, it also gets decent mpg, you don't see it at every stop light and the other is .................
well, frumpy, frugal, practical and dare I say boring???????

Old 04-18-2009, 06:15 AM
KdF
2nd Gear
I must admit the Pirus is one Butt Ugly Automobile. I don't understand why Automakers must make every fuel efficent car look like dirt. The only reason I got the Mini is because it has character and style. That comes from a retro look that is eye appealing. Same reason I bought a 2006 Mustang GT. If these designers would get off their "Borg" attitude on looks then we might see some real pleasing autos. Sometimes I think they all need to take a refresher course in "Clue-Rake" 101.

Old 04-18-2009, 06:18 AM
ScottRiqui
OVERDRIVE
Well, I think the 2010 Prius is a marked visual improvement over the earlier generations, but you're right - to a certain extent, going for the lowest possible drag coefficient does somewhat dictate the overall shape and proportions of the car, and those proportions aren't always the most visually-pleasing.

Old 04-18-2009, 06:23 AM
KdF
2nd Gear
Yes, But Scott....appealing is what actually drive sales. Look at GM, they have been producing the same looks for 43 years, and it finally bit them in the butt.

Old 04-18-2009, 06:32 AM
ScottRiqui
OVERDRIVE
Well, they may not appeal to you and me, but Toyota has sold 1.2 million Priuses (Prii?), and I don't exactly see them languishing on the dealer lots. That's not to say they couldn't sell even more if they with different styling, but the Toyota designers have obviously decided how far away from the "ideal" aerodynamic styling they're willing to go for right now.

Still, the styling for the hybrids is getting better each year. Remember the first Honda Insights with the "wheel spats" that enclosed the top half of the rear wheels behind the body panels?

Old 04-18-2009, 06:36 AM
KdF
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by ScottRiqui
. Remember the first Honda Insights with the "wheel spats" that enclosed the top half of the rear wheels behind the body panels?
Yes, and it's still going to take years of therapy to get over that one.

Old 04-18-2009, 06:58 AM
DrewN
6th Gear
You gotta enjoy what you drive, bottom line. I'd easily sacrifice the MPG for actually enjoying what I drive everyday.

For some people, though, autos are nothing more than appliances. If you're in this group get a Prius.

Old 04-18-2009, 08:03 AM
Kimbo80
4th Gear
Trow,

All three are great cars but all different animals. I don't think I can drive any other car after my JustaClubman (non S) because of the handling alone. It gets good gas mileage too, which is also a plus. As for the Prius and Insight, they are great, reliable and fuel efficient cars, but they have no soul (I'm coming from a '02 Accord Coupe). The steering on those two Japanese cars feel numb and disconnected to the road, especially the Prius.

One think you have to consider is gas is more expensive in Cali, and it is highly recommended to run premium in the MINI. I believe the Prius and Insight run on regular. As for the post with the Prius' rolled over on mountain roads, you have to take that with a grain of salt and look at the big picture. The lurking variable is that there are just a lot more Prius' on the road compared to MINI's, especially on the West Coast.

Ultimately the decision in yours, but I love my Clubman.

Old 04-18-2009, 08:21 AM
trow
1st Gear
I know, I know, they (hybrids) aren't the prettiest things on the road, that's for sure. Maybe all the reason to get a Mini now - let science and design find a good balance in the next few years and come up with an attractive hybrid.

Scott, good point about looking into the actual highway mileage for the Prius, I'll look into that. The point of having no soul and no connection to the road are good points. I've only driven stick shifts since I was 16 and losing that connection when driving the hybrids was a downer.

Kimbo, thanks for the objective feedback. Yes, it's the premium gas that's a concern. $2.58 a gal. is fine today, but it was over $4 a gal. not so long ago.

Yes, bottom line is lots of miles, versus really fun miles & beautiful aesthetics at a higher price (gas & initial cost).

Thanks.

Old 04-18-2009, 08:37 AM
jedm3
2nd Gear
Look at your long term cost of ownership. I get 31-32 mpg mixed aggressive driving with my clubbie s. It will take a while to see if these cars are good to 200k without major work but if you assume a clutch but all major components are ok. The cost is minimal. if you take the cost of 1 battery pack even at $1500 against miles driven at 4-5 mpg better, I think your payback on the Honda is quite long.
Basically, consider your true TOTAL cost of ownership over vehicle lifetime. That will tell the full story.
John

Old 04-18-2009, 09:00 AM
oldsbear
6th Gear
Just out of break-in craziness, Lolly gave me 40 mpg last night, and a very fun drive. Get the Clubman.

Old 04-18-2009, 09:39 AM
Dr Obnxs
Former Vendor
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
On this one...

i'd say go with the Clubbie... My Mom has been into advanced vehicles for a while (EV1, first and second gen Prius). My wife got a base clubbie in September... On the freeway at about 65 MPH we get over 40 mpg.... We live in hills and she has a short commute, and gets about 36 MPG combined. (it would be higher if my wife could master less agressive launch techniques!)

If you keep the options limited, you can get the Clubbie for very cheap (ours was 22.6k). The Prius is a techno wonder, but the actual dollar savings from gas isn't as high as you think it may be... The clubman is very versatile as well, so there is little given up except for some rear seat access.

Matt

Old 04-18-2009, 10:23 AM
trow
1st Gear
You guys are great motivators. I love to hear the 40mps stories. That makes the decision easier.

Keeping the options limited would be tough, but doable. Ohhhhh but those lounge leather seats (heated), chrome details inside and out, sunroof and...so many other delicious options.

I think I'll have to go for the Clubbie- life is short, enjoy the ride- & my husband can get the Prius in a few years . By that time he'll probably want a Mini of his own!

Do y'all secretly work for mini or what?! You're good!

Old 04-18-2009, 10:32 AM
iwashmycar
6th Gear
Received 102 Likes on 92 Posts
Good choice. live a little lol

Old 04-18-2009, 11:36 AM
bimmermeup
1st Gear
You made the right choice

I'm sure we've both made the right choice. Can't wait for mine to get here...

Quick Reply: R55 Clubman or 2010 Prius? What to do, what to do...