R55 :: Clubman Talk (2008+) Discussions revolving around the extended wheelbase Clubman (R55) model.

R55 Clubman or 2010 Prius? What to do, what to do...

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2009, 10:37 AM
ftttuhzbmcs
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I was getting my daughter's 2008 Civic serviced last week so I was wasting time looking at their inventory. I noticed something I thought was strange. The new Insight, which has a way better front end than the Prius got a little worse fuel mileage than the Hybrid Civic. The dealer told me that it is geared for the person with over extra $1,000.00 to spend for the hybrid Civic. I still think that a vehicle built as a fuel miser hybrid gets beaten by a regular vehicle turned hybrid. Oh, I just found out a couple of weeks ago that the Prius has the same engine as the Ford Escape hybrid. My buddy had one and it is weird to look into the engine bay and see "air" where the transmission should be.

Last edited by ftttuhzbmcs; 05-05-2009 at 02:40 PM.
Old 09-05-2010, 09:26 AM
praecurvo
3rd Gear
Old thread, but I just found it.
We just bought a '10 prius and can honestly say it is phenomenal! It is the perfect around town form of transportation until the EV models come out. I am currently looking for the MCS for myself, but there is nothing that can replace our prius. It is an experience all unto itself.
aaron

Old 10-16-2015, 10:32 AM
trow
1st Gear
Wow, this is now a 5 year old thread, but I wanted to follow up on my original post.

We eventually ended up with both cars- me with the Clubman S, and my husband with the Prius. They both are great cars in their own way. We just recently sold the Prius.

In a very simple nutshell:
Mini = Fun and Fast
Prius = Easy and Economical

They are both two completely different cars to drive, obviously. As a daily driver where we live in California the Mini is a dream. I don't need to tell this crowd how it handles. It's a joy to drive. I'm glad I ended up slurging on the interior with leather seats, nice trim, etc..

For the 10 hour commute to downtown Las Vegas that I do 1-2x a month, the Prius was a blessing to put it in drive and go. Yes, the Mini is faster, but quite honestly, for a long drive like that, I was more comfortable after unfolding myself from the Prius over the Mini after so many hours. That being said, I've done the trip with my Clubman and arrived a LOT faster!

We recently sold the Prius because my man bought a pick up truck for towing. It was hard for me to let go of that car, but I'm still so glad to have the Mini as my primary car especially since I had the tow hitch installed to tow my 1971 Boler.

As for towing with the Clubman, I took a fun trip through Arizona in February with my dog and my Clubman S towed beautifully. I've never experienced so many polite drivers in my life!

Here's a link to an image: https://instagram.com/p/yd7RqoD0SQ/?...tianaspaulding and here's another one here:

My 2009 Clubman S towing a 1971 Boler Travel Trailer

So, that's the update. Happy travels, Friends!

Old 10-17-2015, 04:31 AM
TorchMINI
4th Gear
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Nice, photo! How much weight are you towing there? Looks to be near 1500 lbs.?
You picked a good car. Be sure to change your oil and transmission fluids on the frequent side to keep that engine feeling young.
Thanks for the update.

Old 10-17-2015, 09:06 AM
hsautocrosser
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Prius and base hardtop replaced by VW Jetta hybrid and Roadster S here.

Old 10-18-2015, 02:53 PM
trow
1st Gear
Thanks for the tip! I just got the oil changed this month. I'll get the transmission fluid done too.

Many Boler owners say this trailer is 900 pounds. The GVW is listed as 1250. The trailer is pretty basic / original inside, most of what I need for camping I keep in the cargo box. I don't tow all the time, so hopefully it's not taking too much of a toll on my Mini. This combo really does tow like a dream!

Originally Posted by TorchMINI
Nice, photo! How much weight are you towing there? Looks to be near 1500 lbs.?
You picked a good car. Be sure to change your oil and transmission fluids on the frequent side to keep that engine feeling young.
Thanks for the update.

Old 10-18-2015, 02:54 PM
trow
1st Gear
Originally Posted by hsautocrosser
Prius and base hardtop replaced by VW Jetta hybrid and Roadster S here.
That's a great combo!

Old 10-20-2015, 12:10 AM
rasputinj
4th Gear
Clubman any day of the week over the Prius, I have not given up on life yet to go with a Prius.

Old 10-20-2015, 02:49 AM
rikaro
2nd Gear
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
It's funny how different these 2 cars are.

I personally don't think going for a prius is giving up on life.

The Prius is a great A to B car. In fact IMO I do think it's one of the best and reliable car on the market for the job. 200-300k miles with barely any issues. Surprisingly most of them still on original battery and mpg is still similar. Also people tend to look down on Prius owners but I mean if you're asking then I don't see a problem with that.

On to the Mini. I love and enjoy the moment owning this car. There are times that the car drives me crazy. Mostly maintenance issues. I have an hatchback but I wish I got a clubman instead :(

Personally if I were you, I'll go for 2 cars, 1 fun weekend car and 1 Prius. If you can only own 1 car, I'd go for the Mini.

Old 12-22-2015, 06:49 AM
J Free
3rd Gear
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Old 12-22-2015, 07:15 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 1,973 Likes on 1,772 Posts
Originally Posted by trow
Wow, this is now a 5 year old thread, but I wanted to follow up on my original post.

We eventually ended up with both cars- me with the Clubman S, and my husband with the Prius. They both are great cars in their own way. We just recently sold the Prius.

In a very simple nutshell:
Mini = Fun and Fast
Prius = Easy and Economical

They are both two completely different cars to drive, obviously. As a daily driver where we live in California the Mini is a dream. I don't need to tell this crowd how it handles. It's a joy to drive. I'm glad I ended up slurging on the interior with leather seats, nice trim, etc..

For the 10 hour commute to downtown Las Vegas that I do 1-2x a month, the Prius was a blessing to put it in drive and go. Yes, the Mini is faster, but quite honestly, for a long drive like that, I was more comfortable after unfolding myself from the Prius over the Mini after so many hours. That being said, I've done the trip with my Clubman and arrived a LOT faster!

We recently sold the Prius because my man bought a pick up truck for towing. It was hard for me to let go of that car, but I'm still so glad to have the Mini as my primary car especially since I had the tow hitch installed to tow my 1971 Boler.

As for towing with the Clubman, I took a fun trip through Arizona in February with my dog and my Clubman S towed beautifully. I've never experienced so many polite drivers in my life!

Here's a link to an image: https://instagram.com/p/yd7RqoD0SQ/?...tianaspaulding and here's another one here:

My 2009 Clubman S towing a 1971 Boler Travel Trailer

So, that's the update. Happy travels, Friends!

Nice update , great pic with the clubman hauling a trailer.

Like this .

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 12-22-2015, 10:42 AM
Chris62401
1st Gear
We have a 2012 Prius and a 2012 Mini Cooper clubman. The Prius is no fun to drive.