R55 :: Clubman Talk (2008+) Discussions revolving around the extended wheelbase Clubman (R55) model.

R55 Clubman or 2010 Prius? What to do, what to do...

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2009, 04:38 PM
inimini2007
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Look at Numbers

75 Replies and almost 1300 viewed your post...

0 Reply and 0 viewed for Prius...

What Prius Owner gets that kind of loyalty from other owners?

I think you answered your own question...

Old 04-21-2009, 04:40 PM
muladesigns1
6th Gear
Originally Posted by inimini2007
75 Replies and almost 1300 viewed your post...

0 Reply and 0 viewed for Prius...

What Prius Owner gets that kind of loyalty from other owners?

I think you answered your own question...
This by far is the best post for this thread hands down!

Old 04-21-2009, 04:42 PM
RandomGemini
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by muladesigns1
This by far is the best post for this thread hands down!
What muladesigns said.

Old 04-22-2009, 01:53 PM
inimini2007
6th Gear
You buy the Prius...You can't post here anymore.

Old 04-22-2009, 02:26 PM
Alphawave
When gas was $3 and rising to $4, I was in the exact same predicament...well almost, I commute from Sausalito to Sacramento 4 days a week (101 to 37 to 80), and the Prius was under consideration soley due to mileage. After reading a few owner's complaints, however (and an actual testdrive) I discovered quickly it wasn't the car for me, based on all the reasons already well-covered in this thread (hiway mpg, soul-less, drive quality, etc,etc.). I do so enjoy leaving them in my wake on the freeways, however, and I have no trouble finding Pelle in a parking lot...unlike a lot of Prius owners (or any other cookie-cuttermobile for that matter). The two cars are polar opposites when driving inspiration is considered...the very small mileage hit (I average 38 mpg with no 'assistance' whatsoever- I drive it like I stole it) made it a no brainer. Now...where to motor next....

Old 04-22-2009, 06:54 PM
trow
1st Gear
Hey Y'all,

I realized I need to put my order in a.s.a.p. so I can get my hands on that baby a.s.a.p.! My doggie came home from surgery today, so I'll have to wait a few days (she's gonna love road tripping in the Clubman .

Pricing came out for the 2010 Prius yesterday.
I was initially interested in the "Prius VI" and that lists at $25,800 !
My configured Clubman comes out slightly over that so there's absolutely no question in my mind (as if there was after all of your testimonials and being true to my heart). Bring on my Clubbie!

Honestly, you have all been incredible with your feedback, I am really grateful for it. It always feels good to explore all aspects of a decision to be sure about a choice. Thanks for helping with the exploration.

Alphawave- Thanks for relating your situation. Btw, I love the quote "I drive it like I stole it"!

Muladesign1 - So very true!

otterdad- Fantastic article. The timing is perfect.

miniclubman- very nice post, glad you could relate. (Go N.Y.! - my home state).

bigsoup- great story about your neighbor!

Sooooo... if I order this week / next week, you think there's any chance I'll have my clubbie for my road trip east in June? If not, it will be all fresh when I get back!

Old 04-22-2009, 06:56 PM
DrewN
6th Gear
Good call trow, good call

Old 04-22-2009, 07:12 PM
trow
1st Gear
Thanks, Drew! Tell your sis she can borrow my Mini next time I'm in Jersey

Old 04-22-2009, 10:05 PM
rasputinj
4th Gear
Welcome to the Clubman Club. The Clubman rocks!!!

Old 04-23-2009, 03:18 AM
DrewN
6th Gear
Originally Posted by trow
Thanks, Drew! Tell your sis she can borrow my Mini next time I'm in Jersey
Awesome, thanks . Hope you're customizing it, btw. If you are, then have fun with it, it's one of the many perks of Mini ownership.

Old 04-23-2009, 05:53 AM
galoki
2nd Gear
Thanks for the response, jointheclubman & rasputinj.

Well, it sounds like the main factor in buying a Mini is fun, and I like fun

What other car are you considering, jointheclubman?

Yes, twisties in the Prius / Insight were a bit uneventful & unresponsive to say the least. Unfortunately I only got to drive the Mini on the freeway - if I would've driven it around here, I probably would have bought it on the spot!

As far as replacing the battery, the Insight's battery is covered for 100k miles, I would think the Prius would be the same. Over 10 years, the car would have far more miles on it though.

Have you heard anything about the Mini in Europe that has similar properties to a hybrid, i.e. charging the battery when braking and shutting off at a stop sign? I can't remember where I read it. I think it's different than the electric Mini. If someone has info. on this, please school me.

The SF Mini get together sounds fun. I'd like to check it out, if I'm mini'd by then or not . Thanks for the info.

I was in SF last week, picking something up in a parking garage. A woman in a mini pulled into the space next to me. Of course I couldn't help but ask her about her cooperS . She was so excited about it, she asked me if I wanted to sit in it and check it out! Two points for nice Mini owners.
You can always wait for the Mini E. that will be Mini's move in the electric hybrid market... so you can get the driving fun and the fuel savings...

Old 04-23-2009, 05:59 AM
galoki
2nd Gear
Hey Y'all,

I realized I need to put my order in a.s.a.p. so I can get my hands on that baby a.s.a.p.! My doggie came home from surgery today, so I'll have to wait a few days (she's gonna love road tripping in the Clubman .

Pricing came out for the 2010 Prius yesterday.
I was initially interested in the "Prius VI" and that lists at $25,800 !
My configured Clubman comes out slightly over that so there's absolutely no question in my mind (as if there was after all of your testimonials and being true to my heart). Bring on my Clubbie!

Honestly, you have all been incredible with your feedback, I am really grateful for it. It always feels good to explore all aspects of a decision to be sure about a choice. Thanks for helping with the exploration.

Alphawave- Thanks for relating your situation. Btw, I love the quote "I drive it like I stole it"!

Muladesign1 - So very true!

otterdad- Fantastic article. The timing is perfect.

miniclubman- very nice post, glad you could relate. (Go N.Y.! - my home state).

bigsoup- great story about your neighbor!

Sooooo... if I order this week / next week, you think there's any chance I'll have my clubbie for my road trip east in June? If not, it will be all fresh when I get back!
good choice!! the delivery time will depend on the Production dates available to your dealership. If you now and get a may prod date, you should expect your Mini in late june... 6 - 8 weeks is the standard turn around. However, that's just a best guess from the dealer.

I was going to order one, but my dealer had one in stock with all the options I wanted excpect the auto wipers/lights. And, they have the special financing this month... 1.9@36m 2.9@48m and 3.9@60m.

Check out the forums in 1st gear, there are some great threads on the whole order process and how to track your mini.

Motor on!

Old 04-23-2009, 06:52 AM
otterdad
3rd Gear
trow,

You will really enjoy your car. Great choice.

Old 04-23-2009, 07:22 AM
ricbow
5th Gear
and no one will say , (hey,that prius is really cute!)

Old 04-23-2009, 09:28 AM
trow
1st Gear
ricbow- you're probably right!

otterdad- Thanks, I think I certainly will enjoy it
rasputinj- Thanks as well!

galoki - Waiting for the Mini E is a possibility (if I could possibly be that patient), but I think I'll wait until they work any kinks out and make improvements / advancements along with the other companies that are headed in that direction.
Thanks for the tip on "1st gear" forums, I just had a marathon session reading a lot of those posts.
That's great you found your Mini on the lot, I have my fingers crossed I'll find my dream Mini on the lot.

Drew- I do indeed want to customize, here's my baby:

Cooper S Clubman
Dark Silver/Pure Silver (or Pure Silver/Silver)
Silver C-Pillars
White Turn Signals
Silver C Pillars
Chrome Mirror Caps
Chrome Line Exterior
Premium
Cold Weather Package
Center Arm Rest
Leather: Lounge Black
Chrome Line Interior
Comfort Access System
Bluetooth w/USB
Rubber Floor Mats

I didn't plan on the S, but for this hilly terrain, I think I'll be glad I did (minus the mpg difference). Funny how priorities can so quickly change!

Old 04-23-2009, 10:14 AM
galoki
2nd Gear
Trow a few suggestions....

1. Rubber floor mats and other easy to install options. You can find them online cheaper. I bought some parts from Morristown Mini for almost 50% less them my dealer.
2. Center Arm Rests. check out the aftermarket models. There is a thread about how the factory arm rests are not very good. They slide open too easily. Mine was installed at the dealer was a aftermarket with a hinge opening system.
3. Shop other Mini dealers. i was able to get few bucks off mine because of competition. Most of the time you pay MSRP.
4. Don't let the dealer charge you for labor on dealer added options.
5. Get the S. WoooHooo!!! I'm averageing 28 to 29 mpg.

good luck!

Old 04-23-2009, 10:52 AM
n733lk
5th Gear
TROW,

GALOKI made some good points regarding aftermarket purchases. Since you have a few days with your doggie recovering, research NAM threads for the options you want; many can be had for less money and better quality than what's offered by MINI.

Since it looks like you've decided on the MINI, it confirms another important attribute of MINI owners, they're SMART, too!

You'll have a blast. You'll have not only a FUN car,, which has been made very clear in this thread, you will also be driving a QUALITY car. You don't retain your resale value year after year for nothing!

Welcome!

Old 04-23-2009, 11:31 AM
ricbow
5th Gear
mini e is purely a test, one year lease @ 900 per month, return to mini at end of contract . off to germany

Old 04-23-2009, 11:35 AM
n733lk
5th Gear
Originally Posted by ricbow
mini e is purely a test, one year lease @ 900 per month, return to mini at end of contract . off to germany
ONLY $900/month? Such a deal!

Old 04-23-2009, 12:40 PM
bigsoup52
6th Gear
You just made my day Punk, uh, I mean Trow! Seriously, I'm happy that you are following your heart first, and all of our good advice 2nd. You have to go with the rare win-win when the opportunity presents itself. We are all getting a buy-buzz high from your upcoming purchase.

Old 04-23-2009, 12:52 PM
trow
1st Gear
galoki- fantastic feedback. Any $ that I can shave off the price is great. As it is, I may have to scale back just a bit.
As far as "shopping the Mini dealers", do you think that necessarily needs to be done in person, or have you heard of anyone who has had success emailing / calling their order in to regional dealers for best price? Can't hurt, I s'pose.

n733lk - Yes, I'll definitely take this time to research the threads.
Now if only I could get paid to surf the forum while helping / tending to my recovering doggie! Thanks for the welcome.

ricbow: Here's what looks to be the E for purchase at 57k . http://www.hybridtechnologies.com/re...flash?id=Flash

http://www.hybridtechnologies.com/products/cars/flash

Suddenly my future Clubman seems more affordable

Old 04-23-2009, 12:56 PM
trow
1st Gear
bigsoup52- Thanks, Punk! So glad I can share my buzz with you .

Yes, if one could remember to follow his/her heart all of the time, life would be that much better (or that much more expensive! )

Old 04-23-2009, 01:57 PM
n733lk
5th Gear
galoki- fantastic feedback. Any $ that I can shave off the price is great. As it is, I may have to scale back just a bit.
As far as "shopping the Mini dealers", do you think that necessarily needs to be done in person, or have you heard of anyone who has had success emailing / calling their order in to regional dealers for best price? Can't hurt, I s'pose.
TROW,

Where are you located? I shopped via the internet 4-5 dealers within a reasonable distance. I happen to have 2 dealerships in my town (very unusual). Anyway, I was able to get money off MSRP on an ordered Clubman, which is virtually unheard of. Neither of my local dealerships were willing to match the deal, so I ended up purchasing 250 miles away.

Old 04-23-2009, 02:12 PM
trow
1st Gear
n733lk- My closest dealership is Sacramento (45 mins. away), then from there, the bay area has about five Mini dealerships (140 miles away from home, no biggie).

My head starts spinnining with all of the online inventory, I'll have to start sorting through it. I'm thinking I'll go in person to a few. That was I can get a feel of the interior details I'm considering.

I would like to buy locally, especially from the dude who originally gave me the test drive. Hopefully he'll take some $ off of the MSRP.
We'll see...

Old 04-23-2009, 02:23 PM
n733lk
5th Gear
Don't be surprised if you find that many of the inventory cars have 'odd' option packages. That was the case here in Houston. I ordered mine and it only took 5 weeks!

Good luck!

Quick Reply: R55 Clubman or 2010 Prius? What to do, what to do...