MOTD accommodations wanted/available

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2008, 03:36 AM
cabriopilot
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MOTD accommodations wanted/available

If you are in need of MOTD accommodations or you have a reservation you would like to offer up this is the place to post it.

For those that are in need of accommodations don't forget to checkout snooters list of local lodging at www.minisonthedragon.info/lodging.html

Last edited by snooter; 05-03-2009 at 05:05 PM.
Old 11-18-2008, 09:10 AM
davavd
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I am looking for a Fontana room w/ 2 beds for Wed. - Sat.

Old 12-07-2008, 05:46 AM
Locust
3rd Gear
If anyone is interested in staying at a Bed & Breakfast in Bryson City then please visit http://www.folkestoneinn.com There still seems to be plenty of rooms to choose from for MOTD 2009 and it does not appear to be too far from the Fontana.

Old 12-07-2008, 07:17 AM
Warped1966
5th Gear
I'm interested in a room at Fontana in the lodge or one of the smaller/inexpensive cabins. I'd rather not have one of the cabins that people say are horrible though.

Old 12-11-2008, 12:29 AM
BillTheCat
4th Gear
I know there are still many off-site accomodations available for 2009, but I really do prefer to stay in a cabin at Fontana. And silly me, I tried to book for 2009 when I checked in 2 days ahead of the 2008 event. All booked, except for a lodge room or two.

So I am hoping that someone who reserved a cabin larger than they need will want to take on a roommate to cut costs. Mind you... I no longer own a MINI, so you'd have to deal with the shame of having a Mazdaspeed3 parked outside your cabin. But I use minimal bathroom time, keep fairly quiet, and will respect all boundaries, etc, etc.

If you have room in a Fontana cabin, PM me here and I'll get back with you ASAP.

Old 12-11-2008, 05:09 AM
cabriopilot
6th Gear
Originally Posted by BillTheCat
And silly me, I tried to book for 2009 when I checked in 2 days ahead of the 2008 event. All booked, except for a lodge room or two.
I'm assuming that you are not interested in a lodge room since you didn't book one of those but did you place yourself on a waiting list for a cabin?

I know there have been a few cabin openings since MOTD a friend of ours got one back in August.

Only 138 more days till MOTD 2009

Old 12-16-2008, 01:01 AM
MUShadd
6th Gear
I need help deciding on a place. Since Fontana claims to have no openings, where else can i stay? I want to be as close as possible to Fontana and all the other MINI owners. I have been to the dragon before, but not MOTD, nor have i spent the night anywhere other than Gatlinburg and Pigeon Forge. So far I've considered Tapoco village and Deal's gap motorcycle resort (havent checked if they even have openings.)

I need a place that can sleep four. Not a fan of rustic...I like amenities, lol. I grew up in rural west virginia...I've experienced enough rural areas and wilderness for one lifetime. I realize cell service isn't a likely option, but I don't think I could survive more than 2 days without my laptop and wifi. Since there are 4 of us, price is no object, but cheaper is always better.

Anyone have any suggestions, advice? Also, what nights do most people reserve? check in wed or thursday, and checkout sunday or monday?

Originally Posted by BillTheCat
Mind you... I no longer own a MINI, so you'd have to deal with the shame of having a Mazdaspeed3 parked outside your cabin.
One person staying with me has a speed3 too, so you won't be the only one there.

Old 12-16-2008, 03:38 AM
Fatherdeth
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by SnYpR
I need help deciding on a place. Since Fontana claims to have no openings, where else can i stay? I want to be as close as possible to Fontana and all the other MINI owners. I have been to the dragon before, but not MOTD, nor have i spent the night anywhere other than Gatlinburg and Pigeon Forge. So far I've considered Tapoco village and Deal's gap motorcycle resort (havent checked if they even have openings.)

I need a place that can sleep four. Not a fan of rustic...I like amenities, lol. I grew up in rural west virginia...I've experienced enough rural areas and wilderness for one lifetime. I realize cell service isn't a likely option, but I don't think I could survive more than 2 days without my laptop and wifi. Since there are 4 of us, price is no object, but cheaper is always better.

Anyone have any suggestions, advice? Also, what nights do most people reserve? check in wed or thursday, and checkout sunday or monday?
Hey Snyp, go on ahead and try tapoco lodge. It's not far from Fontana, and it's on the Dragon. http://www.tapocolodge.com
The last time I checked, they still had openings. They are not expensive either. I was going to stay there, but I promised my daughter I would take her to Disney World either before or right after MOTD, so I am camping instead to save some money. Can't promise you anything about wi fi though . Oh, and I need to see your car while you are there. We talked a while ago about the APC taillights. I still haven't gotten around to painting mine, and would like to get some pointers if possible.

Old 12-16-2008, 04:16 AM
cabriopilot
6th Gear
Reponse for SnYpR

SnYpR your choices of places to stay are not limited by those actually having vacancies, get yourself
on a list for the places you would really like to stay at and be patient.
Normally within the last month or two before the actual event you'll start to see those that can't make it for
one reason or another start to post their cabins or rooms for either Tapoco Lodge or Fontana Village.
Just keep a vigilant eye out for these posting as they always come up and go quickly.
As fatherdeth suggested, you should try and see if Tapoco Lodge still has openings.
Tapoco Lodge normally has the second largest group of MINI's after Fontana Village so you'll be in great company.
Tapoco Lodge is actually the closest lodging to the Dragon itself and I believe they also have wifi.
If they don't offer wifi you can always hangout at the lodge at Fontana where you'll find everyone uploading their pictures at the end of each day.

If you need a list of local lodging you can checkout Snooters list at minisonthedragon.info/lodging.html

Old 12-16-2008, 12:04 PM
MUShadd
6th Gear
Thanks guys, I have made reservations at Tapoco, and added myself to the wait list at Fontana. When is the very first event of the Dragon? I dont think an itinerary has been made yet, and I want to make sure I'm there for everything. Wasn't sure if my first night should be the 28th or the 29th.

Fatherdeth, I'll be more than happy to show you the tails. Ive actually planned on changing them with something else. if i do, i'll still bring them with me so you can have a look. maybe even try them out on yours if you want.

Old 12-16-2008, 12:17 PM
cabriopilot
6th Gear
Wasn't sure if my first night should be the 28th or the 29th.
The official start is the 29th but a few of us start to show up as early as the 27th
and have pre-MOTD parties, dinners, drives and trips to get things rolling.
The event itself has grown from 3 days to 5 days, so who knows maybe someday it
will be a week long festival just like Fantasy Fest down in Key West.
I'm on vacation for the two weeks surrounding the event so I always show up early
and I'm always surprised to find that others have gotten there before me.

But I guess the final answer is that the event itself does not start till the 29th.
So checking-in to the hotel on the 28th would have you there for the morning of the 29th.

Only 133 more days till MOTD 2009

Old 12-17-2008, 12:48 AM
Fatherdeth
6th Gear
Thanks guys, I have made reservations at Tapoco, and added myself to the wait list at Fontana. When is the very first event of the Dragon? I dont think an itinerary has been made yet, and I want to make sure I'm there for everything. Wasn't sure if my first night should be the 28th or the 29th.

Fatherdeth, I'll be more than happy to show you the tails. Ive actually planned on changing them with something else. if i do, i'll still bring them with me so you can have a look. maybe even try them out on yours if you want.
Thanks SnYpR. Glad you got the reservation.

Old 12-17-2008, 03:08 AM
MUShadd
6th Gear
one last question, has a time been set for the first event? I am only a few hours away. so I may be able to save a nights stay or two depending on what time the first and last events are held.

Old 12-18-2008, 11:40 AM
lilliux
3rd Gear
Just booked one of the new pool cabins at the Fontana. Unfortunatly, I'll only be able to be there the 1st thru the 3rd and "Cerridwen" my MINI won't be able to make it all Hope, she doesn't get to mad at me

Old 12-18-2008, 01:25 PM
cabriopilot
6th Gear
one last question, has a time been set for the first event? I am only a few hours away. so I may be able to save a nights stay or two depending on what time the first and last events are held.
I believe Snooter will be posting a tentative schedule of events in January.
But you can send him a PM to verify the times with him directly.

Only 131 more days till MOTD 2009

Old 12-31-2008, 06:35 AM
Burno
2nd Gear
Microtel has rooms and there cheep 270 for the whole event the 29th to the 3rd

Last edited by snooter; 12-31-2008 at 09:17 AM.
Old 01-01-2009, 09:21 PM
HalAC
5th Gear
I'm considering on attending MOTD. Looking for a room at the Econo-Lodge in Townsend for Friday and Saturday nights. I'm hoping someone will cancel and let me know via PM.

Thanks in advance.

Old 01-01-2009, 09:26 PM
MoxieMini
6th Gear
Hey guys, I've never been to MOTD before, but I'd really like to go this year. Anyone know if there are any camp grounds near the main site? I think this may be my excuse to get that new tent I've been wanting.

PS - Where can I get more info on the event?

Old 01-01-2009, 09:29 PM
Oxybluecoop
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Tampoco still has a few cabins and econo lodges left.It's about 20 mins from fontana and 5 min from the dragon.

Old 01-02-2009, 04:40 AM
snooter
Mr. MOTD
Originally Posted by MoxieMini
Hey guys, I've never been to MOTD before, but I'd really like to go this year. Anyone know if there are any camp grounds near the main site? I think this may be my excuse to get that new tent I've been wanting.

PS - Where can I get more info on the event?
Answers to all the above can be found HERE. At the bottom of the "Lodging" tab is some campground info.

Old 01-02-2009, 09:31 AM
MoxieMini
6th Gear
Originally Posted by snooter
Answers to all the above can be found HERE. At the bottom of the "Lodging" tab is some campground info.
Sweeeeeeeet! Thanks, man.

Old 01-04-2009, 08:52 AM
JIM_GRAHAM
4th Gear
Originally Posted by MoxieMini
Hey guys, I've never been to MOTD before, but I'd really like to go this year. Anyone know if there are any camp grounds near the main site?
I just got off the phone with a woman at the Fontana and she said that they still have camp sites available.

I am looking for a room at the Fontana if someone cancels. Please PM me if you want to cancel your room and I will take the reservation off your hands.

Old 01-05-2009, 05:23 PM
HalAC
5th Gear
Got Reservations!

Woot!

Just got off the phone with Microtel in Robbinsville and have a room for Friday and Saturday nights. I'm starting to get really pumped about this event. This will be my first trip to the Dragon.

Old 01-12-2009, 05:53 PM
marybeth26
Neutral
This is my first MOTD I have booked a "rustic" cabin at fontana. Does anyone have any pointers for me? Oh and could I set up a tent outside the cabin?

Old 01-12-2009, 06:23 PM
cabriopilot
6th Gear
Originally Posted by marybeth26
This is my first MOTD I have booked a "rustic" cabin at fontana. Does anyone have any pointers for me? Oh and could I set up a tent outside the cabin?
I don't see why you couldn't set up a tent outside of the cabin, but you might want to ask Fontana Village just to make sure its OK.

Quick Reply: MOTD accommodations wanted/available