1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

mini misery

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2015, 02:27 PM
runruh
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
mini misery

2003 mini cooper S
Just got this home for my son. Buddy getting rid of it due to electrical problems. After ripping the dash apart and investigating further found roughly a gallon of water soaked up and under the driver side floor mats. Water comming from the sunroof all deverted to interior due to disconnected drain hose above headliner. All the electrical on the left side left of your clutch foot all wet. we started it up...ran well..then smoke began comming out of the above location. turned off the engine and looked for source of smoke. Then the passenger side airbag went off! Luckily no one sitting there! My plan is to dry everything thoroughly and try again.
-anyone have experience replacing an airbag.
-I understand there is airbag control module. Any idea where this is located?
I don't have a manual of anysort yet so am feeling ignorant.

Old 05-21-2015, 03:39 PM
MINI_42
4th Gear
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
Maybe get a manual, like the Bentley service manual. Sounds like you are in for a good ride, I'm afraid. You are not just dealing with auto electrics now, but electronics and computers. It may even be worthwhile paying someone to fix it, but I think it will be very costly. Sorry to say so. Good luck

Old 05-21-2015, 03:49 PM
PelicanParts.com
Vendor
Received 62 Likes on 59 Posts
Don't think we have an article for the passenger airbag, but since you have a project going on with this car, we do have tech articles here that may be of some assistance with other fixes you do. Should be able to get the part for you as well. Oh, and, Welcome to NAM.

-Luccia

888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST
Old 05-21-2015, 06:12 PM
americo11
3rd Gear
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Just wanted to say sorry for your headaches!!!! Hopefully you can get it squared away. I would look for an indy to give it a going over, that's just me! Electrical and computer stuff is best left to someone who know's their way around it. No offense, you may be completely competent, I just would never tamper with it.

Old 05-21-2015, 07:45 PM
runruh
Neutral
thanks for the responses. I pulled apart the 44 or 46 pin connector just under the fuse panel and it is fried...part of the plastic melted ... wow that could be a lot of soldering or a whole new harness!

Old 05-21-2015, 08:22 PM
tsprayfhs
3rd Gear
Your son is going to learn and learn a lot getting this running while working with you. A great father son experience. Motor on.

Old 05-22-2015, 09:18 AM
PelicanParts.com
Vendor
Received 62 Likes on 59 Posts
Originally Posted by runruh
thanks for the responses. I pulled apart the 44 or 46 pin connector just under the fuse panel and it is fried...part of the plastic melted ... wow that could be a lot of soldering or a whole new harness!
Well if you need parts be sure to check out our catalog here. Let us know if you have any questions or need any help.

-Luccia

888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST
Old 05-25-2015, 06:13 AM
Stinch
3rd Gear
Disconnect the battery when working around electrics. I'd recommend a Bentley manual (one on the NAM classifieds now). It has a lot of detailed information. Metal clamp those s/r drain hoses; they seem to come off easy over time with the early MINI's. I have no patience for water in the cabin so I pulled my headliner out to trace down a leak.