What price should I ask?

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2018, 11:14 AM
FunToMini
3rd Gear
Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
What price should I ask?

I recently put new wheels/tires on my Mini, and I'd like to sell the stock 16" wheels with stock tires and TPMS sensors. They only have right around 1200 miles on them since purchasing the car new. The wheels are black. Cant remember what name Mini calls these wheels. Haven't taken pics yet, but wanted to get opinions here on what I should ask for them price wise. They're in like-new condition.

Old 05-04-2018, 11:23 AM
njaremka
Alliance Member
Received 1,714 Likes on 1,381 Posts
Selling OEM wheels can be tricky...

If the tires have some life left in them, find out the new retail price, and figure 50-75% cost. Might be easier to sell the wheels if the tires are off. BUT, it depends if you find the right buyer.

If the wheels are absolutely flawless, you "Might" be able to get $150-200 each. If they show any kind of wear, you might get between $100-150 each.

Old 05-04-2018, 11:27 AM
StephenM
2nd Gear
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Can't help with the pricing, but I seem to remember you have Victory Spokes.

Old 05-04-2018, 11:32 AM
FunToMini
3rd Gear
Tires are like new. Wheels are about a 9/10. But I hear ya and understand how it might be difficult to find a buyer. I will put them on ebay and here, but as local pick up. Thanks for input!

Originally Posted by njaremka
Selling OEM wheels can be tricky...

If the tires have some life left in them, find out the new retail price, and figure 50-75% cost. Might be easier to sell the wheels if the tires are off. BUT, it depends if you find the right buyer.

If the wheels are absolutely flawless, you "Might" be able to get $150-200 each. If they show any kind of wear, you might get between $100-150 each.

Yes! Victory spokes. Thank you.

Originally Posted by StephenM
Can't help with the pricing, but I seem to remember you have Victory Spokes.

Old 05-04-2018, 12:28 PM
cyow5
2nd Gear
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Making them local pickup only will really limit your market. Since they have tires on them, that actually simplifies shipping - just plastic wrap with some heavy cardboard on the face, and the tire acts as the rest of the package. There are some how-to's on it for more details but this is how Tire Rack does it, and this opens you up to a ton more buyers.

Edit - ship at buyers expense, of course.

Old 05-04-2018, 12:42 PM
Minnie.the.Moocher
OVERDRIVE
Received 570 Likes on 486 Posts
Devils advocate for realistic pricing - which I can't tell you how much.

From what I've noticed people tend to list OEM wheels at much higher prices then they eventually sell for. Since so many people take them off and replace, the market is pretty limited. If I want an extra set of winter wheels I can usually find something from someone who has traded or turned in a leased car. At that point they are sitting in the garage taking up space so they are more flexible on price.

Last set (17") I bought cost me $500 and the guy would have probably taken less.

Yours are in better shape with newer tires, etc. But then again they are RF's which people don't seem to want.

Old 05-04-2018, 03:51 PM
FunToMini
3rd Gear
That's a good idea. Will keep this in mind. Thanks.

Originally Posted by cyow5
Making them local pickup only will really limit your market. Since they have tires on them, that actually simplifies shipping - just plastic wrap with some heavy cardboard on the face, and the tire acts as the rest of the package. There are some how-to's on it for more details but this is how Tire Rack does it, and this opens you up to a ton more buyers.

Edit - ship at buyers expense, of course.

Honestly, I'm not trying to rip anyone off with some exuberant price. Just whatever they're worth, but probably a little less. And I honestly didn't realise they were RunFlats. Ha!

Originally Posted by Minnie.the.Moocher
Devils advocate for realistic pricing - which I can't tell you how much.

From what I've noticed people tend to list OEM wheels at much higher prices then they eventually sell for. Since so many people take them off and replace, the market is pretty limited. If I want an extra set of winter wheels I can usually find something from someone who has traded or turned in a leased car. At that point they are sitting in the garage taking up space so they are more flexible on price.

Last set (17") I bought cost me $500 and the guy would have probably taken less.

Yours are in better shape with newer tires, etc. But then again they are RF's which people don't seem to want.