Vendor Group Buys Group Buys from the Sponsors of North American Motoring.

Helix | Spring Intercooler Group Buy

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2013, 05:12 PM
jlips
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
is there going to another one soon? :( i missed this one

Old 05-14-2013, 06:28 PM
KilmerPT
5th Gear
Woot! Just got my tracking number by email. Super excited!

Old 05-14-2013, 08:05 PM
BackroadRunner
1st Gear
Mine arrived today - looks great, thanks Helix!
I thought I would be able to get it installed tonight. Had nothing but trouble with the plastic fasteners! They might just as well have been glued together. About half the fasteners broke (and yes I do have a tool for removing them and have done other vehicles in the past). So I have all of the fasteners removed finally, the lights are all disconnected but I can't get the bumper off because of the brake ducts. What do I do to release them? I tried searching the forums but didn't find anything helpful. Kind of bummed, I didn't expect to have such a tough time with plastic fasteners. I helped my son take a bunch out on his Subie recently and we didn't break more than a couple.

Old 05-14-2013, 08:20 PM
Tex6 Hawkeye
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by MCS2011PT
Woot! Just got my tracking number by email. Super excited!
Same here. Should get it Friday!

Old 05-15-2013, 06:20 AM
chrunck
6th Gear
Received 216 Likes on 181 Posts
Originally Posted by BackroadRunner
Mine arrived today - looks great, thanks Helix!
I thought I would be able to get it installed tonight. Had nothing but trouble with the plastic fasteners! They might just as well have been glued together. About half the fasteners broke (and yes I do have a tool for removing them and have done other vehicles in the past). So I have all of the fasteners removed finally, the lights are all disconnected but I can't get the bumper off because of the brake ducts. What do I do to release them? I tried searching the forums but didn't find anything helpful. Kind of bummed, I didn't expect to have such a tough time with plastic fasteners. I helped my son take a bunch out on his Subie recently and we didn't break more than a couple.
I don't know if the Countryman brake ducts are the same, but mine just pulled forward off the car. There weren't any fasteners holding them to the front bumper though, so maybe they are different. If it helps, I have a picture of the brake duct piece in this thread:

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...tion-pics.html

Old 05-15-2013, 06:49 AM
Helix13mini
Former Vendor
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
We have called everyone in this GB to confirm shipping and payment. There are several folks that we were unable to leave messages with, either because their mailbox was full or nonexistent. If you haven't gotten a call from us, give us a ding and we'll get you squared away.

Old 05-15-2013, 02:16 PM
BackroadRunner
1st Gear
Ok, intercooler is in! I would say the car accelerates easier, especially at higher revs. 6th gear speed builds nice from 80 to over 100! Today is cool here, mid 50's to 60 so the car is happy anyways. I did notice that I didn't have any fans run after shutting the car off, even after running it fairly hard. They almost always run when I park it back in my driveway. It will be interesting to see what things are like in warm weather.

I live on a dirt road and there was a lot of dust hidden in the front end. I think the dust may have contributed to the plastic fasteners sticking so badly. When I got done working my hair was even full of dust! When a fender liner would snap major dust clouds erupted!

Helix - The IC was packaged well and arrived quick! Fedex picked up from you at something like 5pm Monday and delivered to me the next day! It fit perfect and looks great, thanks.

Old 05-16-2013, 01:21 AM
neonsteve
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Helix13mini
We have called everyone in this GB to confirm shipping and payment. There are several folks that we were unable to leave messages with, either because their mailbox was full or nonexistent. If you haven't gotten a call from us, give us a ding and we'll get you squared away.
Please check your sales@helix13.com mailbox for a message from me, neonsteve. Paid deposit March 18, 2013, have not received phone call or e-mail. Thanks.

Old 05-16-2013, 07:40 AM
Kelly Beard
2nd Gear
Ok, intercooler is in! I would say the car accelerates easier, especially at higher revs. 6th gear speed builds nice from 80 to over 100! Today is cool here, mid 50's to 60 so the car is happy anyways. I did notice that I didn't have any fans run after shutting the car off, even after running it fairly hard. They almost always run when I park it back in my driveway. It will be interesting to see what things are like in warm weather.

I live on a dirt road and there was a lot of dust hidden in the front end. I think the dust may have contributed to the plastic fasteners sticking so badly. When I got done working my hair was even full of dust! When a fender liner would snap major dust clouds erupted!

Helix - The IC was packaged well and arrived quick! Fedex picked up from you at something like 5pm Monday and delivered to me the next day! It fit perfect and looks great, thanks.

What about your brake ducts though? I'll have to fool with mine, so a little help? Thanks!

Old 05-16-2013, 07:44 AM
Kelly Beard
2nd Gear
Got mine yesterday, so I know what I'm doing this Saturday!

Who has some hot tips? I've watched the Helix video over and over and will be doing so again until Saturday. I have a 2011 MCS so if there are any 'gotchas' on things like removing the bumper cover, etc, I'd appreciate it!

Also, did everyone remove their wheels to get at the wheel well things you need to remove to get at the lighting wiring?

Old 05-16-2013, 08:43 AM
BackroadRunner
1st Gear
I removed the wheels on each side to have more room.
The brake ducts are two pieces with the front piece attached to the bumper cover. After all fasteners have been removed and the fender liner is out of the way you need remove the rear half of the brake duct from the wheel well side. Then pop the front duct through the steel frame by pushing from the wheel well side and the bumper will come off.
When disconnecting the light wiring don't forget the temperature sensor on the passenger side. The temperature sensor wire is also held with a clip to the bumper so take that off.
Everything was pretty much just what the videos and written instructions describe. The instructions from Forge are detailed and worth taking a look at.

Old 05-16-2013, 09:19 AM
Kelly Beard
2nd Gear
I removed the wheels on each side to have more room.
The brake ducts are two pieces with the front piece attached to the bumper cover. After all fasteners have been removed and the fender liner is out of the way you need remove the rear half of the brake duct from the wheel well side. Then pop the front duct through the steel frame by pushing from the wheel well side and the bumper will come off.
When disconnecting the light wiring don't forget the temperature sensor on the passenger side. The temperature sensor wire is also held with a clip to the bumper so take that off.
Everything was pretty much just what the videos and written instructions describe. The instructions from Forge are detailed and worth taking a look at.
"Forge"? Ouch.

Old 05-16-2013, 12:23 PM
veloci1
1st Gear
@Kelly Beard,
how did you re-install the temp sensor?

i have a 2012 Clubman S and i cannot get that sensor to snap back on the bumper.

let me know.

Old 05-16-2013, 12:53 PM
BackroadRunner
1st Gear
When I was looking for info on the brake ducts I came across a thread where someone else recommended the instructions from Forge so just passing along the tip. I found it to be a helpful reference to print and have on hand to make sure I didn't miss a fastener somewhere.

Old 05-16-2013, 01:26 PM
Kelly Beard
2nd Gear
Ah, gotcha. Thanks.

Old 05-16-2013, 01:35 PM
BackroadRunner
1st Gear
Also it gets annoying having to clean my hands before touching my Ipad to play the video again

Old 05-16-2013, 01:44 PM
BackroadRunner
1st Gear
So, I typically run the car hard on my way home every day - live out in the country and have some fun twisty curves that are a blast at speed. Normally the fan(s) run when I park and shut off the car. With the new intercooler they aren't. Does this sound correct? Is it engine temp or something else that triggers the fan?

On a side note, my son said the intercooler really shows through the lower grill when I am driving up the driveway.

Old 05-17-2013, 09:44 AM
Kelly Beard
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by veloci1
@Kelly Beard,
how did you re-install the temp sensor?

i have a 2012 Clubman S and i cannot get that sensor to snap back on the bumper.

let me know.
I've haven't installed mine yet; plan to do so tomorrow with a friend's lift. I think you want to chat with BackroadRunner.

I also ordered NM air charge & discharge pipes since I'll have the car apart.

Old 05-17-2013, 09:51 AM
LarriB
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Installing it wasn't the problem. I just zip tied it back together after I broke it uninstalling it! :-(

Old 05-17-2013, 01:51 PM
BackroadRunner
1st Gear
I didn't remove the sensor itself, just unplugged the wire from it. On my car there is a small clip that holds the wire to the bumper also. I had to unclip the wire in order to move the bumper away from the car. I didn't really look at how the sensor itself was attached so can't comment.

I replaced the hot side boost tube with a one piece unit. The noise reducer section of the original tube has a torx screw that isn't the easiest thing to reach. I can't notice any difference in sound without the noise reducer. I would think air flow would have to be less turbulent with the one piece tube to flow through though!

Old 05-17-2013, 09:42 PM
KilmerPT
5th Gear
Man, you guys are lucky you got yours so quickly, mine is still en route to Cali. Looking at the 21st for delivery. Crossing my fingers that it gets here safe and sound.

Old 05-18-2013, 05:03 AM
dhtguru
Neutral
Should receive mine today.

BackroadRunner - What did you use to replace the down pipe? Something you ordered or did you make your own?

Old 05-18-2013, 05:28 AM
jns2001
2nd Gear
Where do I find the Forge instructions?

Old 05-18-2013, 05:48 AM
Salbotehcow
1st Gear
I'd google Froge .pdf instructions and see where that gets you! I also have good luck using youtube finding good go-bys.

Old 05-18-2013, 06:25 AM
jns2001
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Salbotehcow
I'd google Froge .pdf instructions and see where that gets you! I also have good luck using youtube finding good go-bys.
Thanks for the tip.

Quick Reply: Helix | Spring Intercooler Group Buy