Vendor Announcements Announcments from the Sponsors of North American Motoring. New products, test results, and more.

M7... 180 Degree F Thermostat

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2004, 12:24 PM
maxmini
6th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by andy@ross-tech.com
Do you happen to have the test data? Here are the results from my car last November:

CO % x liters
Limit = 1.10
Test value = 0.00
PASS

HC ppm x liters
Limit = 275
Test value = 8
PASS

NO ppm x liters
Limit = 3600
Test value = 28
PASS

RPM Reading = 2578
Dilution Reading = 15.4%

The test we did was a quickie favor at no charge so we didn't get a print out. I was more concerned on the car passing or failing rather than actual numbers this time around. We took it in " cold " to make it easier to fail if it was going to but it did pass. I asked the tech where we were in the pass fail range and he said the car was fine but " possibly " lower hence the " dirtier " comment on my part. If others think the actual numbers might be of importance rather than whether it fails or passes I will go back in the near future and give it a actual smog check with a print out. We do find it amusing that this is the first time this question has come up with all of the other products out there already that also affect smog readings but its al part of the fun and games on here . Thanks for the support

Randy
Team M7

www.m7tuning.com

>From: "North American Motoring Mailer" <webmaster@northamericanmotoring.com>
&g

Old 07-08-2004, 12:28 PM
andy@ross-tech.com
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Trippy
Andy: Are YOU willing to install a 180-degree thermostat and compare your car's advance values when running a colder engine?
Nah, I'll pass on that. Someone else can test it on their car.

Old 07-08-2004, 12:33 PM
maxmini
6th Gear
Originally Posted by macncheese
Federal law makes it illegal for ANYONE to tamper with, disconnect, remove or otherwise render inoperative ANY emissions-related control device. Revisions to the Clean Air Act in 1990 further broadened the definition of emissions tampering to include virtually ANY type of engine or exhaust system modification that alters what comes out the tailpipe. That means any nonstock aftermarket part that is installed on your engine must be EPA-approved and emissions legal (except on the exempt vehicles previously noted).
I was referring to the read out numbers being legal which means within range. My car would have a hard time passing a visual test in any event as the nitrous feed and viper cold air intake might look suspicious. The list of items that are CA approved that you can add to your car is very limited and only two come to mind one which is the K&N CAI and our Plasma Booster. I am curious how the authorities would view my Jackson Racing header which was only for track use but I had modified by putting the stock cat back inline.

Randy
Team M7
www.m7tuning.com

Last edited by maxmini; 07-08-2004 at 12:47 PM.
Old 07-08-2004, 12:46 PM
maxmini
6th Gear
Nah, I'll pass on that. Someone else can test it on their car.
Andy how can you let your public down ? They want you to " show them the numbers "

Old 07-08-2004, 12:53 PM
andy@ross-tech.com
6th Gear
Originally Posted by maxmini
Andy how can you let your public down ? They want you to " show them the numbers "
Thanks, but I have already explained my reasons for not doing business with certain companies.

Old 07-08-2004, 01:04 PM
maxmini
6th Gear
Thanks, but I have already explained my reasons for not doing business with certain companies.
Ok as long as you aren't still sore over the " great strut tower debate "
Have a good one .

Randy
Team M7

www.m7tuning.com

Old 07-08-2004, 01:12 PM
andy@ross-tech.com
6th Gear
Originally Posted by maxmini
Ok as long as you aren't still sore over the " great strut tower debate "
Have a good one .

Randy
Team M7

www.m7tuning.com
Out of respect for Mark's site, I am not going to rehash the behavior that resulted in me forming my opinion. You may wish to discuss it with Peter Horvath.

Old 07-08-2004, 01:16 PM
dave
pug poo picker-upper
Received 30 Likes on 18 Posts
Let's have that be the last word on the matter and return to the discussion of the thermostat.

Old 07-11-2004, 10:26 PM
04yellowS
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Trippy
Andy's data confirms the idea that using a colder thermostat MIGHT cause you to restrict the normal range of timing advance values which MIGHT reduce engine performance.
Bottom line is your ECM will control the timing. The ECM will adjust to the cooler engine.

Also, it looks like there is more timing at ~180 than at the ~195-200 degree range...which means more power.

Don't look at the timing in the graph before it gets to 180. Look at the timing at 180 and at 195/200 since that is where the engine will run. It looks like if you can keep the temp at 180 you will have more timing....although it only looks like a few degrees.

That being said though, I go from experience...every vehicle (95 T-Bird, 01 GMC, 02 GMC)that I could put a cooler t-stat in, I did b/c it ran cooler and had a little more power.