Travel Stories Have an interesting trip in your MINI that you want to share with others? Post it here!

Boating: MINI Stile!

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2019, 01:47 PM
maccoder
3rd Gear
Received 64 Likes on 51 Posts
Boating: MINI Style!

Here is how I transform my 2013 R56 MCS into a boat carrier whenever I want to go fishing:

Driving MINI for 7 years developed an obsession for compact things in me, that's why I was looking hard for a perfect boat to carry with my car.
I settled on porta-bote - the foldable boat that is light, but very durable. The big advantage is it can be folded flat to a size of a surfboard, meaning I can carry it on my roof rack.
So removable seats and transom (plus bunch of other stuff) go into roof box. And the boat itself is attached to Thule kayak stackers.
I am using OEM roof racks and cargo box. And to mount stackers the way I wanted I bought a few extra parts and made a small modification.

By default Thule 830 Kayak Stacker is using universal mounting system, but the bracket are shaped with the curve that is not creating a very convincing grip against flat bars, and 8 wing nuts are not looking very nice.
Plus, the small wind deflector at the bottom of the front bar is exactly where I need the stacker to be mounted, so it would damage it overtime.
In order to have a better mounting solution I bought Thule XADAPT11 kit, which was almost perfect match to the stacker except mounting holes didn't align completely.
So I drilled additional holes and with the help of 4 Thule track nuts I now have an install I am very happy with:

Original XADAPT plate

Additional holes drilled

Stacker attached to plate

Bottom view of plate with stacker attached

Plate attached to a roof bar

Closer view

MSC resting on the beach while boat is on water (this is from very first trip - stackers are still attached with original brackets that I replaced later).

I carry 5HP outboard in the back of the car. Boat is quite light - I can lift it myself and strap to the stackers. Being using this setup for 2 seasons now.
I always draw a curious crowd every time I assemble/disassemble my boat at the dock. But the punchline is when I pull with my MINI to pick it up!

Last edited by maccoder; 08-23-2019 at 08:10 AM.