Tires, Wheels, & Brakes Discussion about wheels, tires, and brakes for the new MINI.

Hub Centric Rings

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2003, 01:51 PM
Grinder
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I recently purchaced a set of Centerline RPM wheels, with a centerbore of 72.62mm. Since the MINI needs 56.1mm, I also ordered a set of rings to make the wheels fit properly. They forgot to send them!!! I'm really anxious to get my new wheels on, so I want to know what my options are. Should I:

1) Use the wheels for a few days without the hub centric rings.
2) Pry off the hub centric rings from the 15" Sport Edition Fox 2 winter wheels that I have and put them in the Centerlines.
3) Just wait it out for the new rings to arrive.

For option 2, i suppose I'd need to know the centerbore of those. Anyone know? Dan?? I'd also need to know how to take them out and put them in the Centerlines.

How bad is option 1 for the wheels/car? Garfield on MINI2 said he used his wheels without the rings for quite a while, and even AutoXed them a couple of times. Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Old 03-05-2003, 04:48 PM
Alex@tirerack
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
1) I would not advise running without rings, your lug centric, wich could be potentailly dangerous(weight on lugs) or annoying. (possible vibrations)

2) I would not pry hub rings, they can be damaged, and if yo get them off there is a chance they will seat loosely on the next aplication. If you must remove them, try penetrating oil and a rubber mallet, or piece of soft wood as a pry lever. These wheels don't use spring retaining ring clips.

3) I would wait for the new rings, if you can.

The centerbore of the Fox wheels 72.2 mm. If your Speedline's are 72.26 these will fit close, but not tight. The Fox wheels are a press in fit, but we do not know what the ring retention method of the centerlines.

Sometimes the wisest choices are not allways chosen,
I would wait it at all possible

Dan

>>I recently purchaced a set of Centerline RPM wheels, with a centerbore of 72.62mm. Since the MINI needs 56.1mm, I also ordered a set of rings to make the wheels fit properly. They forgot to send them!!! I'm really anxious to get my new wheels on, so I want to know what my options are. Should I:
>>
>>1) Use the wheels for a few days without the hub centric rings.
>>2) Pry off the hub centric rings from the 15" Sport Edition Fox 2 winter wheels that I have and put them in the Centerlines.
>>3) Just wait it out for the new rings to arrive.
>>
>>For option 2, i suppose I'd need to know the centerbore of those. Anyone know? Dan?? I'd also need to know how to take them out and put them in the Centerlines.
>>
>>How bad is option 1 for the wheels/car? Garfield on MINI2 said he used his wheels without the rings for quite a while, and even AutoXed them a couple of times. Any thoughts?
>>
>>Thanks!
[

Old 03-05-2003, 07:37 PM
Grinder
3rd Gear
Darn! I was hoping you'd say it was fine! Grrr.. So how do I install these rings when the new ones finally do arrive?

Old 03-05-2003, 07:44 PM
nfo
6th Gear
hey grinder!
how do you like the Sport Edition Fox 2 ?
i'm concidering getting these in 17"s,
do you like the look of the centerline's better?
can i check out some photo's with the Sport Edition Fox 2 's?????
thanks!