Tires, Wheels, & Brakes Discussion about wheels, tires, and brakes for the new MINI.

Street Brake Pads, which & where to buy?

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2006, 12:05 PM
Lowell
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Street Brake Pads, which & where to buy?

Trying to keep a budget buy in mind, yet wanting more than the dusty ole' OEM pads, what's a good set of new pads to look at and where can I get a good/best price on 'em. I am a slightly more agressive than average driver and do no x-cross or racing.

Thanx,

Lowell / BR Green White-Roof '03MC, Sports Pkg., Leather Int., Silver Wheels, TOYO T1R's (Runflats - NEVER AGAIN!).

Old 02-06-2006, 05:50 PM
ScottinBend
6th Gear
Summit racing has Hawk ceramic pads for the MINI for around $175 for both front and rear. You can also check with http://www.jscspeed.com/mini/mini_base.html (vendor) and see what he can do for you. They just did a great deal for me on new rotors and pads.

Old 02-06-2006, 05:52 PM
DarkMiniCooperS
6th Gear
Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts
I've bought the ProMINI stage 2 brake kit in December 2004 and love it! It comes with Mintex RedBox brake pads and they work great. A lot less of brake dust, and a bit more braking power.

Also, consider getting some stainless steel brake lines... it's a great improvment over stock and probably the best "brake mod" I've done to my MCS

Old 02-06-2006, 09:57 PM
Lowell
1st Gear
Are the Hawk's good for street driving, or are they more of a racing pad?

I was thinking Mintex Redbox's and found a mixture of pro's and con's on them at other sites with the cons mainly that "they are hard on the rotors". Thought I'd come here to NAM (favorite) and see if anyone mentioned that problem. Are the ProMINI kits still available, and what other goodies come with it? Interesting about brake line mod as well.

Thanks guys, appreciate the feedback...

Any other opinions on replacement pads out there?

Old 02-06-2006, 10:04 PM
minihune
OVERDRIVE - Racing Champion
Received 67 Likes on 65 Posts
Try calling or email Alex@tirerack.com about the various Hawk pads that fit the MINI, there is a variety.

Mintex redbox will work for relatively cheap, less brake dust than stock pads, reasonably good wear and not hard on stock rotors- should be OK for street use. Performance is similar to stock pads.

EBC green also popular but costs roughly twice that of Mintex Redbox. Much less brake dust than stock, Good brake performance, sometimes squeaky.

Old 02-07-2006, 07:57 AM
Alex@tirerack
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I'd use HPS for street/autocross and HP+ for track.

Alex

Old 02-07-2006, 09:02 AM
francois
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Lowell
Trying to keep a budget buy in mind, yet wanting more than the dusty ole' OEM pads, what's a good set of new pads to look at and where can I get a good/best price on 'em. I am a slightly more agressive than average driver and do no x-cross or racing.

Thanx,

Lowell / BR Green White-Roof '03MC, Sports Pkg., Leather Int., Silver Wheels, TOYO T1R's (Runflats - NEVER AGAIN!).

Here you go: Mintex Redbox for $56, complete, shipped.
Ecartoys.com http://ecartoys.com/epcvsoapimc.epc?...entid=ecartoys

It's so cheap I was afraid it was a scam. But I tried it, it came after a couple of days, I installed it and it works great!

There's over a hundred comments about these pads on this site if you do a search.

regards,
francois

Old 02-07-2006, 05:25 PM
ScottinBend
6th Gear
The Hawk ceramics are great for the street. Just a bit better at the no-dust effect than the HPS and the Mintex.

Old 02-07-2006, 07:07 PM
caminifan
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Here is another vote for ceramic pads. For street driving, and NO DUST, the ceramic pads can not be beat. My personal preference is for the Hawk ceramics pads.

Old 02-10-2006, 10:36 PM
dfoong
Neutral
Originally Posted by francois
Here you go: Mintex Redbox for $56, complete, shipped.
Ecartoys.com http://ecartoys.com/epcvsoapimc.epc?...entid=ecartoys

It's so cheap I was afraid it was a scam. But I tried it, it came after a couple of days, I installed it and it works great!
LOL that is what I thought too until I saw their feedback rating on *b*y. I too bought a set of Mintex from them - received in two days. BTW the link you posted does not show their complete web site. Go for just the www.ecartoys.com for the bigger picture.

I am thinking of picking up their Zimmermann Sport front crossdrilled rotors for $152.42 a pair. I found a 5% off coupon from a Bimmer forum. Anybody think I should not run them with Mintex pads?