Tires, Wheels, & Brakes Discussion about wheels, tires, and brakes for the new MINI.

First Mini, brake question

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2019, 01:01 PM
suchajerk
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
First Mini, brake question

I hope someone can help. Maybe I'm overreacting or too demanding but I need some advice.

Recently purchased 2019 2 door HT. Brake light indicator noted rear pads need serviced at 11500 miles. Went to my local mechanic who has always served me well. Was told it was too early to need new pads, they then verified the pads weren' ready to be replaced however the brake fluid was low, and they filled it. The pads were worn to a 4. So pads soon but not now. They also advised I take it to the dealer and call MiniUSA because this was too soon and the brake fluid level was questionable. They also suggested the brakes should have a minimum warranty, usually to 12000 miles. I've never had a car need brakes at 12000 miles before so I took their advice.

Made appointment with dealer. Explained the situation. Made it clear going to the dealer was difficult to accomplish because of their hours and I needed to know what they planned to do with a vehicle with the system indicating rear pads service. They said they didn't know until they inspected. I arrived, they saw the light and said you need new brakes. (sigh) No inspection. Wanted me to pay $140 for inspection.

I refused and left very frustrated.

Is this normal behavior from the brakes and the dealer? I love this car.

Cool me off.

Thanks.

Old 07-18-2019, 01:31 PM
Minnie.the.Moocher
OVERDRIVE
Received 570 Likes on 486 Posts
Are you an aggressive driver? The rears on these cars go pretty fast because the system uses the rear brakes automatically to control the car, especially in aggressive driving. I replaced all my brakes at about 16,000 miles. The fronts had plenty of life, the rears still had some time but were worn a lot more than the fronts.

Did you buy this car new or used?

If it is a 2019, I can't believe they threw the diagnostic charge at you, shameful behavior. What crappy dealership was this?

Old 07-18-2019, 01:44 PM
suchajerk
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This vehicle is my commuter. All highway, but SoCal highway. Purchased new.

This dealer does seem to be rather crappy. I have had to question their service with MiniUSA in the past. They made some changes after my complaint, but they don't know who made the complaint.

The vehicle was just in for a 10k oil change and check-up, but apparently the brake fluid wasn't checked.

Old 07-18-2019, 02:53 PM
Capt_bj
OVERDRIVE
Received 281 Likes on 237 Posts
suggestion

learn how to inspect pads yourself . . . then you are less likely to be scammed

requires NO TOOLS for a quick check and just taking off the wheel for a full check (car's jack and wrench)

You can usually see the brake pad thru the wheels of a MINI ..... if you can find the brake assembly looking thru the wheel you are half way home.

If you want part two, just ask . . <or search the other 20 times I've posted it> sorry, I'm grumpy tonight

'teaching' novice MINI DIY folks out of my garage since 2003

Last edited by Capt_bj; 07-18-2019 at 03:07 PM.
Old 07-18-2019, 02:56 PM
sbreech
2nd Gear
Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by suchajerk
This vehicle is my commuter. All highway, but SoCal highway. Purchased new.

This dealer does seem to be rather crappy. I have had to question their service with MiniUSA in the past. They made some changes after my complaint, but they don't know who made the complaint.

The vehicle was just in for a 10k oil change and check-up, but apparently the brake fluid wasn't checked.
Is there another Mini dealership nearby?

Old 07-18-2019, 03:03 PM
Capt_bj
OVERDRIVE
Received 281 Likes on 237 Posts
for the BASIC question of OP

Our R-59 is approaching 35,000 on original pads ......

A bit unusual IME as I've typically had to do a pad swap before 30,000 <typically around 25k> ... but the 59 is probably lighter . . .

in the OLD days

pads and rotors were covered under pre-paid maintenance ... typically dealers found they needed replacement the first visit OUTSIDE of pre-paid

first time I took my 02 in after pre-paid expired I was told 'new pads and rotors NOW'

funny thing was I'd replaced 'em myself not 2 months earlier . . . .

Last edited by Capt_bj; 07-27-2019 at 04:11 AM.
Old 07-26-2019, 07:23 PM
Husky44
5th Gear
Received 231 Likes on 167 Posts
I'd CONTACT MINI USA.

I can't imagine how they can justify not looking at a car under warranty with brake warning light on.

Your mileage seems ridiculously low for pads to be worn, and I've never experienced rears wearing before fronts like that, although with all the computerized stuff now, I guess anything is possible.

I'm not a fan of dealer service departments.