Tires, Wheels, & Brakes Discussion about wheels, tires, and brakes for the new MINI.

Sumitomo HTR A/S PO2

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2018, 05:46 PM
Jeffob5
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sumitomo HTR A/S PO2

After lots of indecision and back and forth on replacement tires for my 2013 ClubmanS, I decided to save some money and get another set of the HTR's from TireRack. I put these onto a couple of small SUVs with pretty good results and the $66 per tire price was too good to pass up. I went to 215-45-17 sizing to get a bit more rubber and sidewall trying to improve over the rough riding run flats

Anyone have any experience with these on their minis?

PS - I took them over to Costco for install and after taking my order and leaving the car, called twice. First time to tell me that these were not runflats. I said, yes I know - that's the idea and they reluctantly said "ok". 5 minutes later they called again said they would not install 215's on this car. I had to pick it back up and go home with the new tires uninstalled!

BTW - I went to Costco because they only charge $60 all in and use Nitrogen to inflate the tires...but now I have to find another installer.

Old 02-13-2018, 12:07 AM
minihune
OVERDRIVE - Racing Champion
Received 67 Likes on 65 Posts
Yes, costco has rules about using non OEM tires and tire sizes. Each shop may vary a little but most times they balk.

In my area Costco does this- will order and install OEM tire size and runflats for 16" wheel sizes and larger. Will use non runflats if you bring a working spare tire and wheel in the car at the time of installation. Costco will install 215/45-17 tires on your MINI wheels if you bring in just the wheels even if you say it's for a MINI although you can easily say its for a Miata or Honda. I've done all of these options successfully.

HTR A/S PO2 is a good budget value tire for the price. Tirerack test results show it's decent enough.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests...y.jsp?ttid=204

Another option is Kumho ecsta 4X II for $99 each, a much better tire but costs more.

Old 02-13-2018, 06:41 AM
chipfiev
3rd Gear
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
I had those tires on my '15 S Hardtop. They were decent enough. Ride was so much better than the runflats but I wished they had gripped a bit better in the wet. Couldn't beat the price though. A great value but I'm not sure I would have bought them again.

Never ran them in the snow if that matters.

Old 02-13-2018, 01:16 PM
minihune
OVERDRIVE - Racing Champion
Received 67 Likes on 65 Posts
Unless you are on a tight budget looking at basically only value tires I think that any MINI benefits from the best tires you can afford.

The car has so much potential getting good tires really helps. But getting lesser tires can hurt a bit and take away some of that performance and handling edge. Just something to keep in mind.