Tires, Wheels, & Brakes Discussion about wheels, tires, and brakes for the new MINI.

Goodyear policy on non-runflats on MINIs, etc.

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2014, 04:03 PM
hsautocrosser
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Goodyear policy on non-runflats on MINIs, etc.

Yesterday I discovered that TireRack.com now says my local installer and other Goodyear Service Centers will not install non-runflats on cars originally equipped with runflats.

I went to the Goodyear website and clicked the button labeled "Let us find the right tire for you" button. For my S Roadster they recommended two runflat and two non-runflat models.

So I asked them what their real policy is. Here is the reply:

Goodyear Tire & Rubber Company Consumer Relations 728 200
Innovation Way Akron, OH 44316-0001 Voice #: 800.321.2136 Fax #:

Hello R......,

You are allowed to install non-runflat tires on a vehicle that originally came equipped with runflat tires as long as it meets or exceeds the manufacturer recommendations for load range and speed rating. If you do choose to install non-runflat tires on a vehicle that came equipped with runflat tires, you must be aware that your vehicle does not come with a spare tire and Goodyear will not be responsible for any sort of road side assistance or towing fees if you are stranded due to a tire failure.

Thank you,
I........
Consumer Relations

So, instead of taking loose wheels with the old tires down to them, I'll be driving on them in my MINI armed with this email.

Old 11-16-2014, 07:04 PM
The Meal
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I saw this as a informational warning on Tire Rack when trying to select a local shop to install new wheels and tires. Based on that warning I selected a different local shop.

Old 11-16-2014, 07:23 PM
hsautocrosser
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Stopped by my installer yesterday and asked. The guy said he answers the question frequently, and that they have always replaced runflats with non-runflats at the customer's request.

I sent an email to TireRack's sales manager pointing out that no one can possibly know how many sales are lost due to misinformation steering people away.

Old 11-17-2014, 08:49 AM
minihune
OVERDRIVE - Racing Champion
Received 67 Likes on 65 Posts
Goodyear is not the only shop that will refuse to mount non runflats on a car that comes OEM with runflats.

Costco and others have the same policy.

You can check with your shop or ask if they will accept loose wheels to do the swap.

Also note that if you have TPMS, you can replace maintenance parts on the TPMS at the time of tire mounting. This may extend the life of your TPMS if you don't change tires that often.

Costco also has another rule, If your MINI came with runflats and you already have switched over to non runflats, they will only install non runflats if you have a spare tire in the car at the time of tire replacement. Otherwise you can bring in loose tires.

Old 11-17-2014, 10:03 AM
RDY4TKF
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Costco would only replace mine run flats with non run flats if I had a spare tire in the car.