Tires, Wheels, & Brakes Discussion about wheels, tires, and brakes for the new MINI.

8in wide in the front and 9in wide in the rear?

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2004, 04:54 PM
lurch70
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
d6-mcs ... I say go for it. I would never do it myself, and would laugh my *** off if one of my friends did it, but since you are 20 ... heck ... go for it

10 years from now you will look back at this mod and go ... "what was I thinking?"

Old 06-14-2004, 05:22 PM
peterwhit
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Would like to see those pictures when you get them. Hope those tires don't rip.

Last edited by peterwhit; 06-14-2004 at 05:24 PM.
Old 06-14-2004, 08:55 PM
d6-mcs
4th Gear
porsches push everywhere escpecially when it has 350 n/a bhp, with 8.5 wide in front and 11 wide on rear, it understeers. believe, not fun in a 40k car. my wheels should be here in a week or so. hopelly before the cruise at evolution sport in everett, wa. i hope they dont rub either man, s03's arent cheap. thanks for the reply guys. .later

chris

Old 06-15-2004, 05:16 PM
no_affiliation
5th Gear
Originally Posted by d6-mcs
thanks man. i can tell that the younger amount of people are give me props for and i thank you for that. one reason why i am doing this not to have the stance but the fact that i have found that the back end of my car comes out on my a lot, i push my mini and i bet most of you do too but understeer to me is a lot easy to get a handle of then you back end coming around on you.
chris
The old people on this board think things should only be 1 way and when things are different they slam it. We got alot of negative remarks on our new interior, but you know what at a Mini Reunion we got Best of Show for the Cooper class... it's hard to tell in the pic but it's BRG with silver marblizer. Anyway, keep it young and stretch that tire :smile:

Old 06-16-2004, 10:37 AM
d6-mcs
4th Gear
yea i understand that the younger group and the older group of people on these forums have different ways of looking at things, most of the younger group wants everything carbon fiber, big wheels, big suspension, and everything that look awesome, where the older group want small wheels and racing slick to go autocross and so on and so forth. personnal i think that interior is the crazy looking thing i have ever seen and i bet it look awesome in person, but i am sure that there are people that dont like it, but putting some one down on something they want to do or have done is stupid. thanks for the reply

chris

Old 06-28-2004, 10:27 AM
d6-mcs
4th Gear
well i did it, 8 in front and 9 in rear, no rubbing, no handling problems, nothing. took to leavneworth yesterday did some high speed corning, handles awesome, for all that said it wouldnt, did about 90 to 100 mph around most corners, still on stock suspension. good job i went with s03's other wise probably would handles different, should have pics soon.

chris

Old 06-28-2004, 11:10 AM
M1N1GUN
2nd Gear
Good on ya Chris, can't wait to see your pics i'm sure it'll look wicked. Deep dish mesh-style all the way for me. The pic of the wheels you were getting has broken, if memory serves me they were Keskin 17"s, is that right?

Old 06-28-2004, 11:10 AM
Bisch
6th Gear
Can't wait for pics!

Old 06-28-2004, 02:38 PM
goin440
6th Gear
They've been stretching kart tires on wider rims for some time. A kart is a kart, right? (aka "live a little")

Hurry and get those pics up... I saw a v-dub a few days ago with a similar tread. Looked good IMO.

Old 06-28-2004, 10:48 PM
Rally@StanceDesign
Former Vendor
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Eager for pics congrats on not being a typical mini clone

Old 06-28-2004, 11:39 PM
Flatsix
2nd Gear
Dude! I'm really glad to hear you went through with it! Cant wait to see pictures. I'm about to get a new set of 18's and this may convince me to do the euro stretch on them.

Old 06-29-2004, 01:29 AM
minihune
OVERDRIVE - Racing Champion
Received 67 Likes on 65 Posts
well i did it, 8 in front and 9 in rear, no rubbing, no handling problems, nothing. took to leavneworth yesterday did some high speed corning, handles awesome, for all that said it wouldnt, did about 90 to 100 mph around most corners, still on stock suspension. good job i went with s03's other wise probably would handles different, should have pics soon.

chris
d6-mcs,
Mission accomplished!
You did it. Good for you and you ARE the first.
I've been following this thread and studying what you are doing.
I see what you are getting at. Having the stock suspension helps with the clearance I would think. I agree that the S-03s are a big plus- good choice.
Those are nice looking rims- props to you.
Looking forward to some pics.

Old 12-22-2004, 01:42 PM
scooby
3rd Gear
Hey D6 that is a great look you have there and i am after the same wheels albeit not with stretched tyres :D

Ive been quoted £950 for the wheels 8x17 and 9x17 without tyres from a BMHeaven

It is a class look but do you think the wheels will look just as good on non stretched tyres

Maybe we can get more love if i go non stretched !! :D

Let the haterz hate we know it looks awesome!! :D

Old 12-22-2004, 02:14 PM
04yellowS
3rd Gear

chris
Of course, this is said just to make you look right.

There's NO WAY that the MINI handles better like that.

Old 12-22-2004, 02:44 PM
IanF
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Chitown_COOP
I'm confused by a lot of things in this thread, and I'm feeling like I'm middle aged at 27?! I have never heard of stretching tires before, and I don't really know why that would be a cool look. I thought that big wheels/low-profile rubber was the haps. You learn something new every day, I suppose.
...and I'm way over the hill at 34... although I have heard of tire stretching... through the Vortex... which is also why I am a VW owner (g/f has the MCS) who hangs out in a MINI forum... Even the worst thread flaming here is down-right polite compared to that forum...

Old 12-22-2004, 03:25 PM
RHT3
2nd Gear
skateboard days, etc

Grew up in a hot rod town full of drag cars, t-buckets, cal bugs etc. (Wide rears, narrow fronts) Had a skateboard with big wide wheels in the rear and narrow up front (It was 1975--think "Dog Town and Z Boyz").

I can't wrap my head around the whole "stretched tires" thing. And I have a very large head. . . Still, I say go for it if you like the look.

Old 12-22-2004, 03:32 PM
minimort
5th Gear
I'm not getting the wider rears on a FWD car... once modded we need more traction at the front, not the back, but then again, that could just be me.

Notice, it's been a few months, and no pics

Old 12-22-2004, 03:57 PM
greven
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by minimort
I'm not getting the wider rears on a FWD car... once modded we need more traction at the front, not the back, but then again, that could just be me.

Notice, it's been a few months, and no pics
As a young person(20), I'd have to say this is a dumb idea if it makes the car more dangerous.

Personally, I think it looks ugly and stupid, but most of the car mods I see do the same. I'm not a fan of neons, most non-stock aero kits, wings on the back, most decals, non-normal seats, etc. This fast and the furious crap must end.

Old 12-22-2004, 03:59 PM
ZAMIRZ
5th Gear
Originally Posted by greven
As a young person(20), I'd have to say this is a dumb idea if it makes the car more dangerous.

Personally, I think it looks ugly and stupid, but most of the car mods I see do the same. I'm not a fan of neons, most non-stock aero kits, wings on the back, most decals, non-normal seats, etc. This fast and the furious crap must end.
Amen

Old 12-22-2004, 04:10 PM
minimort
5th Gear
I agree for the most part, some aftermarket seats are pretty nice though, like some Cobras and the Sparco Milano's. Not too into the neon though, gotta give you that one, and I like my spoiler as is

Old 12-22-2004, 04:32 PM
mini giant
4th Gear
first of all, for pics just look up his s/n. he has posted many pics in many different threads. and for all the people that say it effects the car in a negative way, which i am pretty sure it does, please read back at the post where he clearly sates that he is doing it strictly for show/cruise purposes, and is not worried about the handling characteristicss of the car. and for the people that are still flaming him for doing it, to each his own. i am sure that just about everyone here has something on their car that someone does not agree with

and just for your info, i believe he has posted the car for sale, sheesh

p.s.- i think it looks really good

Old 12-22-2004, 04:47 PM
minimort
5th Gear
took to leavneworth yesterday did some high speed corning, handles awesome, for all that said it wouldnt, did about 90 to 100 mph around most corners, still on stock suspension. good job i went with s03's other wise probably would handles different, should have pics soon.

chris
Sounds like he's only interested in cruising and show to me...

Old 12-22-2004, 04:49 PM
minimort
5th Gear
one reason why i am doing this not to have the stance but the fact that i have found that the back end of my car comes out on my a lot, i push my mini and i bet most of you do too but understeer to me is a lot easy to get a handle of then you back end coming around on you.
hmm... that sounds like he is doing it for performance reasons...

then again, I could be wrong

Old 12-22-2004, 11:04 PM
Rally@StanceDesign
Former Vendor
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by minimort
hmm... that sounds like he is doing it for performance reasons...

then again, I could be wrong
Performance would mean:
-Light wheels as opposed to heavy
-not wider in the rear (sways are for adjustments)
-not slammed to the point that the car scrapes and rubs
-not "polishing" the intercooler to the point that its function is harmed

I'm totally cool with people who are just interested in the looks of their car. In many cases cars can be a work of art that you are making beautiful. More power to those people. I just wish they wouldnt be so afraid to admit that performance isnt at the top of their list.

I believe that he could reach those speeds....but if he could then im sure any performance modded mini could reach those speeds and go higher. I just like to remember the sig line "If you arent scraping, then you arent low enough"

I like the look of the car...the rims are dead sexy. Just dont pretend its for performance reasons.

Old 12-23-2004, 12:25 PM
scooby
3rd Gear
Anyone after pics here is the link

now tell me those wheels dont look AWESOME!

http://www.mkippen.com/gallery/carshoots/mini/Mini.htm

Mine are on order in Jan 4th :D

9x17 at rear
8x17 at front

but not stretched tyres

Quick Reply: 8in wide in the front and 9in wide in the rear?