Tires, Wheels, & Brakes Discussion about wheels, tires, and brakes for the new MINI.

Cost for new tires on an '04 S

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2014, 02:34 PM
fugger
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cost for new tires on an '04 S

Gonna take a risk here without searching...

(Tires have a little over 20,000 miles)

So my TPMS light came on (Mini might call it something else, but that's what my other cars have called it). Checked out my tires and lo' and behold my front-right tire was pretty bald.

Seeing how these are run-flats, economically speaking, what should my next course of action be? I remember in my AWD Subaru it was recommended that I replace all four tires at the same time. Should I be doing the same with the Mini's? Can I change just the one tire without screwing up the alignment?

Or should I even go with a replacing all four tires wit regular non-runflats; will that be cheaper still?

Old 01-14-2014, 02:55 PM
minihune
OVERDRIVE - Racing Champion
Received 67 Likes on 65 Posts
Check all of your tires. If right front is worn then it is likely left front is worn similarly.

If you don't rotate tires then fronts will wear out fast compared to rears.

18000 miles is how much you have on these tires or total miles on your MCS?

If you need runflats then replace with at least two runflats. Otherwise if all tires are worn out then replace all four with runflats or non runflats of your choice.

Where do you live? Any driving in the snow or very cold weather? If no temps under 40 degrees year round then you can get summer tires, otherwise stick to All Season tires.

What size wheels do you have? 16" or 17".

If 16" then you can use the following tire sizes-
195/55-16 (common for runflats, some non runflats are available)
205/50-16
205/55-16

If 17" wheels then-
205/45-17 (common for runflats and good selection of non-runflats)
215/45-17

Prices vary depending on which tire you choose, they can range from less than $100 per tire to $180+ per tire for non runflats.

Runflats start at (for Bridgestone RE960AS RFT)-
195/55-16 $141 each
205/45-17 $161 each

Old 01-14-2014, 05:11 PM
fugger
1st Gear
Thanks for the informative post. I have both 18k on the car and on the tires. I live in a sunny area w/ no snow. Looks like I'm on 205/45R-17's.... That's the funny thing: the front-right is bald and seeing some metal, but the rest of the tires are of equal and good tread.

So you're saying that if I wanted to keep going with the run-flat route, I should replace at least two of them (preferably the front two)? Do I have to go with the same make/model of the tires?

Originally Posted by minihune
Check all of your tires. If right front is worn then it is likely left front is worn similarly.

If you don't rotate tires then fronts will wear out fast compared to rears.

18000 miles is how much you have on these tires or total miles on your MCS?

If you need runflats then replace with at least two runflats. Otherwise if all tires are worn out then replace all four with runflats or non runflats of your choice.

Where do you live? Any driving in the snow or very cold weather? If no temps under 40 degrees year round then you can get summer tires, otherwise stick to All Season tires.

What size wheels do you have? 16" or 17".

If 16" then you can use the following tire sizes-
195/55-16 (common for runflats, some non runflats are available)
205/50-16
205/55-16

If 17" wheels then-
205/45-17 (common for runflats and good selection of non-runflats)
215/45-17

Prices vary depending on which tire you choose, they can range from less than $100 per tire to $180+ per tire for non runflats.

Runflats start at (for Bridgestone RE960AS RFT)-
195/55-16 $141 each
205/45-17 $161 each

Old 01-14-2014, 06:57 PM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts
I would change them all....just due to age.
Regardless of tread left on ANY tire.....
Max safe life of a tire is ABOUT 6 years from when it enters service or 10 years from production date....and you are above BOTH of those if they are the factory tires (likely 2003 production date I bet!!) Yikes!!
The fact you have wires sticking out....damm lucky.....wonder if you have other missed items making the car a very $$$$ time bomb.....
Most folks switch to regular tires...carry a 12 pump, some tire slime and get AAA towing/roadside...
Cuts the cost of tires by about 50% compared to runflats...
But runflats have gotten better.....so argument to get regular tires for a better ride is not as strong...today it is there, but mostly a $$ issue....runflats still are not "quite there" ride wise, cost more, and have a minimal selection....but some folks like the idea of not having to stop....

Old 01-14-2014, 11:41 PM
fugger
1st Gear
Changing out the run-flats is a sure thing for the future. It's just that I'm strapped for cash right now and just need something to keep me going for the next 2-3 months or so... So I'm thinking about keeping the run-flats for now (instead of replacing all of them w/ regular tires).

I should probably change the front two tires if I went this route, right? Not sure if it's safe to change out just the bald tire. (Front-right is bald while the front-left is fine)

EDIT: Oh shoot.... I completely forgot I had a $100 Costco gift card. And I think Costco sells tires!

Originally Posted by ZippyNH
I would change them all....just due to age.
Regardless of tread left on ANY tire.....
Max safe life of a tire is ABOUT 6 years from when it enters service or 10 years from production date....and you are above BOTH of those if they are the factory tires (likely 2003 production date I bet!!) Yikes!!
The fact you have wires sticking out....damm lucky.....wonder if you have other missed items making the car a very $$$$ time bomb.....
Most folks switch to regular tires...carry a 12 pump, some tire slime and get AAA towing/roadside...
Cuts the cost of tires by about 50% compared to runflats...
But runflats have gotten better.....so argument to get regular tires for a better ride is not as strong...today it is there, but mostly a $$ issue....runflats still are not "quite there" ride wise, cost more, and have a minimal selection....but some folks like the idea of not having to stop....

Last edited by fugger; 01-14-2014 at 11:55 PM.
Old 01-15-2014, 04:37 AM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
99% sure Costco will not install ANYTYING BUT OEM SIZE and tire type....
Some installers will only install what came with the car for legal reasons...many Costco/big chain stores take this stance....
Tirrrack prices (quoted above) are about 70% of loacal tirevplaces, plush shipping and install...
If talking safety....
Car should be parked or towed if cords are poking out....
Any tire is likely to blow if driven at any speed...ozone attacks rubber..and that is why even the ones with tread are dangerous.....

Old 01-15-2014, 04:43 AM
JAB 67
6th Gear
Received 57 Likes on 50 Posts
Go on ebay and see if you can find a good used tire that matches what you have. But you still need to determine why you experienced such wear on one tire; sounds like an alignment problem and/or damaged suspension component to me.

Old 01-15-2014, 04:43 AM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
Reality is...you can get 4 NEW regular tires...mounted...for (in all liklyhood) less than 2 runflats.....

Old 01-15-2014, 03:24 PM
minihune
OVERDRIVE - Racing Champion
Received 67 Likes on 65 Posts
Originally Posted by fugger
Thanks for the informative post. I have both 18k on the car and on the tires. I live in a sunny area w/ no snow. Looks like I'm on 205/45R-17's.... That's the funny thing: the front-right is bald and seeing some metal, but the rest of the tires are of equal and good tread.

So you're saying that if I wanted to keep going with the run-flat route, I should replace at least two of them (preferably the front two)? Do I have to go with the same make/model of the tires?
Carefully inspect the left front tire for any wear that is more than about 4/32" tread left. If it is at that level it is time to replace it.

If the treads are low on the left front then replace the two front tires with the same tire whether Summer or All Season Runflats. You would want to use the same class of tire as the rears so what is the name of that tire?

Going the runflat solution-
Replace two front tires with Bridgestone RE960AS RFT in 205/45-17 at $161 each plus shipping plus mount and balance. Given your excessive wear on one tire you should do a 4 wheel thrust alignment by a brake and alignment shop, call around for competitive prices, about $100. This will ensure that the new tires will wear evenly. It is very likely that by the time your rear tires are showing enough wear to replace them, the fronts will need to be replaced as well.

Going with non runflat solution (on a budget)-
Kumho Ecsta PA31 (High Performance All Season tire), new tire model
205/45-17 at $85 each for all four wheels, 500 treadwear
Still need mount and balance, and alignment. Possible one shop can do all this for you.

Tirerack test results for the PA31-
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/...y.jsp?ttid=179

Summer tire options will give you slightly better handling but may wear out faster and are not for cold weather. Wet handling varies with each tire so check tire surveys on tirerack.com, call Alex at 4294 for more info.

The runflat solution is a little less expensive because you only have to mount and balance two wheels not four. Overall, the non runflats will give you longer treadlife and a more comfortable ride for daily driving. However you need to be prepared in case you get a flat. Fix a flat can, cell phone and AAA or carry a compact spare tire in the boot covered in a plastic bag plus a jack and tire iron.

Old 01-15-2014, 09:03 PM
fugger
1st Gear
^ wish I got your message sooner...

Update for you guys:

Got four cheap tires that for some reason have decent ratings (GT Radials). Installed w/ replacement warranty from America's Tires all for $450 after tax.Tacked on another $65 for an alignment at some other shop. (America's Tires doesn't do alignments). Total damage was $515.

As far as how bad my alignment was, I got a print out from the shop with a diagram that I'll upload when I get the chance. Here's a few numbers that were marked in the "red" in case anyone's interested:

Before
Left Front toe: 0.26
Right Front toe: 0.08
Steer Ahead: 0.09

After
Left Front toe: 0.14
Right Front toe: 0.15
Steer Ahead: 0.00

What's bugging me is that I'd hoped that my TPMS light (which was on for the past two days... I assumed it was my tires that were going bad), is STILL BLINKING. It's driving me insane. Is this something that needs to be a hard-reset through the dealership? Or are my sensors dying?

Last edited by fugger; 01-15-2014 at 09:17 PM.
Old 01-16-2014, 02:34 AM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
Push the button next to the handbrake... And drive a few feet.
The system needs to be reset after a flat or new tires....your car does not have tpms sensors, but uses the abs system to calculate tire rpms....and then determines if you have a flat. With regular tires...be sure to check your psi's monthly....the indirect system in fine for Runflats, but too slow for normal tires.
Congrats on getting you car safe with new tires. Enjoy!!