Tires, Wheels, & Brakes Discussion about wheels, tires, and brakes for the new MINI.

Yokohama Avid Ascend

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2013, 05:49 AM
Yehuda
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yokohama Avid Ascend

I had to replace the 175/65/15 Continentals (all-season, not run-flats) that came with my 2013 Clubman because of some road damage.

The new set is all-season Yokohama Avid Ascend, same size as the originals. The car feels a little lighter with the Yokohamas, a little more "tossable." I like the new feel, although the difference is subtle. Technical reviews say these tires have especially low rolling resistance, while gripping more tightly on curves because oil from orange peels is infused into the rubber, a "breakthrough formula." The low-rolling-resistance claim may be true -- they do feel more eager to roll than the originals at the same inflation. There may be a difference in gas mileage, but I haven't noticed it yet -- I've only had them a few days, and mileage seems about the same.

As for holding tighter on curves, they seem fine, very competent, but I haven't done anything very radical so I can't really say. Certainly no complaints.

First day out, I drove in light snow -- no problem.

These are very quiet tires. I thought the originals were pretty quiet too.

They are slightly asymmetrical -- meaning they must be mounted with the side labeled "outside" on the outside. Check to make sure they are mounted correctly -- my dealer mounted them backwards at first, and had to do it over.

I commute about 70 miles a day -- part city streets, part fast interstate. These tires won't revolutionize motoring, but I'm happy with them. They seem a good choice for the Clubman. I like them.

Old 12-29-2013, 03:18 PM
minihune
OVERDRIVE - Racing Champion
Received 67 Likes on 65 Posts
When replacing OEM 15" tires you do not need to stay with 175/65-15 size although the dealership will offer them.

The following tire sizes are fine with OEM 15" wheels-
185/65-15
195/60-15
205/55-15

Yokohama Avid Ascend (H or V speed rated) is a Grand Touring All Season tire.
It comes in 195/60-15 for $76 each, 740 treadwear, H speed rated.

Tirerack test results-
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/...y.jsp?ttid=166
Compared to other tires in this class, Ascend is more of an economy tire OK in the snow but not as good on ride comfort/noise or in the wet.

There is also an Avid Ascend that is T speed rated and is a Standard Touring All Season tire. 175/65-15 for $79 each, 800 treadwear

Tirerack test results-
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/...y.jsp?ttid=161
This ascend was OK compared to the other tires tested except for wet performance, it was OK for snow.

Most times when replacing OEM tires you want tires that are at least of the same or better speed rating. For MINIs that would at least an H speed rated tire or better whether for a base cooper (any model) or Cooper S. A T speed rated tire can be used but isn't an OEM replacement, I am surprised that a tire shop allowed this.

As you can see with the prices all around $75-80 per tire you can many choices.

If you want to stay with 175/65-15, in Grand Touring All Season tires there is-
General Altimax HP $68 each, 440 treadwear, H speed rated
Tirerack test results-
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/...y.jsp?ttid=152
Altimax HP good in dry or wet but not as good in snow, also treadwear not as high.

In 195/60-15 and Grand Touring All Season tires-
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/survey...wws=N&showcm=N
Bridgestone Turanza Serenity Plus $97 each, 600 treadwear, H speed rated.
It costs more but is a leader in this class.

If you prefer 175/65-15, Yokohama also makes-
Avid ENVigor (H or V speed rated), High Performance All Season tire
$80 each, 560 treadwear, H speed rated
Tirerack test results-
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/...y.jsp?ttid=179
In this same tire class there is also-
Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3
175/65-15 $92 each, 500 treadwear, H speed rated
A new well reviewed HP all season tire choice.

And while not as good a value Continental has-
ContiProContact (Grand Touring All Season tire)
175/65-15 $99 each, 400 treadwear, H speed rated, Low rolling resistance
Tirerack test results-
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/...y.jsp?ttid=138

So what does it mean to be T speed rated, this is a common speed rating for tires meant for family sedans or Minivans. Speed ratings are not solely for how fast you drive your vehicle but for how well the tire resists heating up when driven. W and Y rated tires are more durable when driven hard (Cooper S) while H and V rated tires are slightly less durable. If you never drive over the speed limit you're probably OK.

What does it mean to be a Grand Touring vs Touring vs High Performance tire? Generally the MINI does well with more performance oriented tire classes including the better Max and Ultra High Performance Summer and All Season tires. You can use a Grand Touring All Season tire for more comfort and longer treadwear, while a High Performance All Season tire has some performance and less emphasis on comfort with moderate treadwear.

For those that want to drive in some snow, an Ultra High Performance All Season tire or Grand Touring all season tire are good choices, the former with good handling and the later with good comfort. While you can choose tires from other classes they may be nearly the same price and not offer good value by comparison.

The common OEM MINI 15" tire is the Continental ContiPremiumContact 2 Grand Touring summer tire-
see
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/survey...ay.jsp?type=GT

Old 12-30-2013, 06:30 AM
Yehuda
2nd Gear
Would replacing with larger size tires (generally) reduce gas mileage?
Another question: The T speed rating is for a sustained speed of up to 118 mph -- which is faster than I have ever driven this car, or ever expect to. Yet the T rated tire gives a longer tread life than those with higher speed ratings. This seems like a good trade-off for a commuter car. Am I missing something (aside from the fun of going 120)?

Last edited by Yehuda; 12-30-2013 at 07:05 AM.
Old 12-30-2013, 07:14 AM
-=gRaY rAvEn=-
Received 64 Likes on 54 Posts
The MINI sizes of tires, 175/65/15, 195/55/16 and 205/45/17 are predominately MINI sizes so the availability of our choices using those sizes are limited. Presently I don't think anyone manufactures OEM Countryman size tires in non runflat for the 17's, at least not yet. So you see what we are up against.

What most folks will do to find a better selection of tires, is to range up one size width and then go down one size for sidewall. This keeps the rev. per mile more accurate reducing speedometer error. So 195/55/15 would be closer to what you have now.

You can use this tire calculator to map that out. Tire Calculator

But, I believe your 15 OEM wheels are just 5.5" wide. Going with too wide a tire for width of wheel reduces longevity/use of the tire, and when it comes to the Clubman models, the rear tires take a helluva beating already. I often see Clubmans sporting aftermarket non MINI size tires on OEM wheels having premature uneven tire wear. Owners definitely not getting their monies worth by going wider.

Additionally, just doing so in those ranges for "added road grip" appeal will not yield you better traction. Going up in width will typically increase rolling resistance, increase heat and typically reducing MPG and does nothing for added traction. When it comes to tires, there is no substitute for using the correct size tires for your application and a good four wheel alignment done by a professional.

Right now, judging MPG for your new tires will be a bit difficult to calculate if not impossible. Most gas pumps have winter conditioned fuel for sale, so reductions in your MPG are there already....

Keep us posted on your likes/dislikes on this tire as I always have a ear open for new options.

Old 12-30-2013, 07:27 AM
Yehuda
2nd Gear
Any thoughts on my other question? A T speed rating for longer tread life, versus the benefit of a speed rating for faster than I will ever drive?

Old 12-30-2013, 05:07 PM
minihune
Originally Posted by Yehuda
Would replacing with larger size tires (generally) reduce gas mileage?
Another question: The T speed rating is for a sustained speed of up to 118 mph -- which is faster than I have ever driven this car, or ever expect to. Yet the T rated tire gives a longer tread life than those with higher speed ratings. This seems like a good trade-off for a commuter car. Am I missing something (aside from the fun of going 120)?
What do you mean by larger? wider tire tread or taller tire diameter?

Wider tires like 195/60-15 will tend to be lower profile than OEM for 15" and give better handling and a mildly stiffer ride. Taller tire diameter will affect speedometer and odometer accuracy but it's not a big amount unless you go a lot taller than 24.3".

If you want to reduce gas mileage then use a heavy wheel, heavy tire, wider tire tread for greater rolling resistance and soft rubber for more grip.

Although T speed rating seems more than you will need it is not that you are using speeds up to the speed rating limit but that the tire itself is more or less able to handle heat when operating at it's designed limit whether that is due to higher speed or higher loads. Think of the speed rating as a rough guide to the tire's ability to handle being stressed, one of the ways to measure that stress level is to speed up which generates heat. So speed rating can be a rough gauge to measure heat tolerance.

The T speed rating is independent of the treadwear rating. You can find T rated tires with more and with less treadwear in the same and different tire classes. Treadwear has to do with the tread design and the rubber compounds used to make the tire.

For the MINI, you want a street tire that is at least OEM speed rated which is at least H speed rated. You can use a T speed rated tire but it's not recommended and not up to OEM spec so any tire shop will not want to consider it.

Again, the MINI is a very capable car and will benefit from using the best tires you can afford for it. You want better handling and a blend of comfort and treadlife for the weather conditions you drive in. Getting generic or cheap tires makes no sense since for the same price you can usually find decent tires that meet or exceed OEM specs.

For speed ratings of W and Y, these tires are more capable for higher performance driving, not necessarily to the highest speed of the tire's rating but to be durable for use at higher speeds such as on a track.

Old 12-31-2013, 04:23 AM
Yehuda
2nd Gear
Thank you for your very thorough replies. Had I read this before I bought the tires, I suppose I would have done the responsible thing and looked for H rated -- but meanwhile, I do like the lighter quicker feel they give the car. For safety's sake, though, I will try to keep it under 90 -- even if it means riding the brakes.

Last edited by Yehuda; 12-31-2013 at 04:30 AM.
Old 12-31-2013, 10:48 AM
minihune
Thank you for your very thorough replies. Had I read this before I bought the tires, I suppose I would have done the responsible thing and looked for H rated -- but meanwhile, I do like the lighter quicker feel they give the car. For safety's sake, though, I will try to keep it under 90 -- even if it means riding the brakes.
Did a tire shop do the mounting? They should have picked up the difference in Speed rating if they knew which car the tires were going on.

Tire shops are taught to use tires that are of at least OEM ratings for size, load, speed rating, and tire diameter. They won't mount anything that doesn't meet the OEM specs unless you are mounting tires on a free rim and they can't see the car. This is due to liability risk.

Old 12-31-2013, 12:06 PM
Yehuda
2nd Gear
My local favorite garage -- which does tires too. Do you think T rated tires are dangerous?

Old 12-31-2013, 01:03 PM
minihune
My local favorite garage -- which does tires too. Do you think T rated tires are dangerous?
I assume your shop did not mention that the tires were rated T, if so then they trust you. No T rated tires are not dangerous or they would not be made and sold for vehicles.

see
http://www.michelinman.com/tires-101...read-life.page

MINIs use tires rated H and higher, not T and lower (only S rated).
I have used T rated tires for a family Minivan and it was a bare bones tire. The Minivan was not good handling nor fast so the tires worked but only barely, just basic transportation.

The MINI is a very good handling car (even OEM from the factory) by any measure, better tires usually results in better handling, acceleration, braking, etc. It is worth the effort to choose the tire that best suits your driving requirements.

S and T rated tires meet the minimum requirements for use on the street with family sedans and Minivans. If you drive only the speed limit and like you would a basic family sedan then a T rated tire will be fine, not dangerous.

see also-
http://www.carbibles.com/tyre_bible.html
They mention H speed rated tires make up 63% of all tires sold vs S/T at about 37%.