Tires, Wheels, & Brakes Discussion about wheels, tires, and brakes for the new MINI.

Warning: Failing EBC Pads Aren't Isolated!

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2014, 01:36 PM
neonsteve
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Below is the response I received from EBC Brakes regarding NRS on Greenstuff, Redstuff, and Yellowstuff pads, and how to determine if Ultimax pads (O.E.-style formulation) are Ultimax (1) or Ultimax2. Sounds like NRS won't be used on existing pad models for quite a while:

As of now the only pads we are making with the NRS Hook system are the brand new part numbers for new vehicles models and the ExtraDuty truck pads. We will slowly be phasing the NRS hooked backing plates into all of the pads we make but as of now it’s just the brand new never been made before part numbers.
NRS backing plates typically can be identified by looking at the back of the pads under. An NRS brake pad will have no holes in the backing plate underneath the shim. A conventional backing plate has 2-6 large holes in the backing plate that the pad material is pressed onto and molds into the holes for better bonding along with a resin bonding agent, see attached picture.
All the Ultimax pads being sold are the Ultimax 2 version, since 2012.
Let me know if this helps.

Best Regards,

Ben Lappin
www.ebcbrakes.com
EBC BRAKES USA, Inc

Stay updated with the latest EBC news-http://ebcbrakes.com/ebc-news/

Please consider the environment before printing this e-mail
EBC Brakes USA Inc sales@ebcbrakesusainc.com Tel: 702 826 2400 Fax: 702 826 2401 This email is from EBC Brakes USA Inc , but expresses the views of the sender & not necessarily the views of the company. The email & any files transmitted with it are confidential to the intended recipient at the e-mail address to which it has been addressed. It may not be disclosed or used by any other than that addressee, nor may it be copied in any way. If received in error, please notify james@ebcbrakes.com quoting the name of the sender. Please note that although this mail item has been virus checked, we cannot accept any responsibility for any transmitted viruses. It is, therefore, your responsibility to scan any attachments. Any Price or delivery terms quoted in this Email are only estimates unless endorsed an officer of the company or the Chairman from their own personal email addresses.

Attached Thumbnails Warning: Failing EBC Pads Aren't Isolated!-conventional-backing-plates.jpg  

Last edited by neonsteve; 03-12-2014 at 01:39 PM. Reason: Added photo from EBC showing conventional pad backing plates
Old 03-12-2014, 02:07 PM
neonsteve
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by WayMotorWorks
We've sold hundreds of sets of EBC pads without issue. This is the 3rd set I seen someone complain about, 2 sets by the same person so that is an odd coincidence?? From looking at this set it looks like they were pretty worn to begin with.
I ask how long the car had been sitting before driving it off and having them come apart? Because I have seen pads rust to rotors and chunk apart because they were stuck.
I would be interested in hearing what EBC says after seeing the pads as they have always been good to deal with.

I'm going to continue selling them as they've proven to been good pads with how many I've sold. Just hope isolated cases like this don't ruin a good product.
This post helps my faith in the EBC pads. I just purchased my first set of Greenstuffs for my wife's Jetta, and have been contemplating the Redstuffs for my Mini when it's due for pads. I am glad to have Way Motor Works participating in these forums!

Old 03-12-2014, 05:44 PM
danjreed
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I've run them for years on other cars... I don't brake lightly... But then again I downshift.. And I don't track the car.. Never had an issue. (Green stuffs).

Old 03-12-2014, 08:07 PM
ashchuckton
5th Gear
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
I'll use them when they upgrade red stuffs with the new mounting system. Not willing to risk using EBC pads until then.

Neonsteve thanks for filling is in.

Old 03-12-2014, 09:44 PM
minsanity
6th Gear
Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
^+1

Old 03-13-2015, 10:50 AM
GBSC
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Time to bring this thread back to life

I'm writing to you on behalf of the Global Brake Safety Council (GBSC), which was established with the intent to uphold the highest standards in brake safety.

One of the reasons for the friction material falling off the disc brake plate is the excessive rust build-up between the backing plate and the friction, causing what's known as "rust jacking". This is becoming more of an issue because friction manufacturers are using mill scale steel, commonly referred to as 'black steel', which contains a layer of oxides. This layer, if not properly removed, will be trapped under the friction layer during the manufacturing process. These oxides turn to rust and cause separation between the disc brake plate and the friction (rust jacking), which eventually leads to the friction falling off. This is obviously a major safety concern!

Currently, aftermarket manufacturers of disc brake shoes are self regulated and are expected to engage in 'responsible' manufacturing. With more and more manufacturers moving production to low cost countries such as China and India to cut operating cost, they are also cutting corners and jeopardizing the quality of their disc brake shoes and your safety.

The solution is simple: Friction manufacturers MUST use disc brake steel that is free of any mill scale or oxides. This steel is referred to as "pickled and oiled" steel, which goes through a process of acid wash to remove all mill scale and contaminants from the steel.

GBSC has released a detailed report on this safety issue in the brake industry and is currently engaging government and lawmakers to raise awareness on this issue and set legislation for all North American manufacturers to adhere to.
Please visit our website www.gbscouncil.com for more info and to download the full report.

Furthermore, friction lining is bonded to the backing plate using a layer of glue. The glue is activated during the curing process, which occurs under high heat and pressure.

However, this bonding method is known to fail, especially when subjected to high levels of heat cycles, such as racing and track applications.

As pointed out earlier in this thread, a superior and proven method of attachments is a type of mechanical attachment, called NRS. This attachment method consists of metal hooks penetrating into the friction material, creating higher shear values and a much stronger bond with the lining.
For more information on NRS technology, visit NUCAP NRS