Tires, Wheels, & Brakes Discussion about wheels, tires, and brakes for the new MINI.

Brake warning light & unable to turn off traction control

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2013, 07:11 PM
k_h_d
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Brake warning light & unable to turn off traction control

During one run at my autocross today a weird warning came on. It was the BRAKE and then the brake symbol in the center of the tach. When this happened it would not allow me to turn off traction control. From the owners manual the following is a picture of what I think was being shown. Its either one of the two pictures, I think its the one that says worn brake pads but not sure. I checked brake fluid level and all is fine. Brake pads are thicker than half pad. When I check the service info on the OBC for the brakes it says 14,000 miles left on the front and 28,000 miles left on the rear. I have 10,200 miles on the car.

On the second set of 4 runs there was no warning lights and traction control was off like normal.

Would any information be stored to be read with a code reader?

Attached Thumbnails Brake warning light & unable to turn off traction control-screen-shot-2013-07-28-at-9.05.18-pm.jpg   Brake warning light & unable to turn off traction control-screen-shot-2013-07-28-at-9.06.06-pm.jpg  
Old 08-09-2013, 08:07 AM
John@ATLMINI
Banned
Originally Posted by k_h_d
During one run at my autocross today a weird warning came on. It was the BRAKE and then the brake symbol in the center of the tach. When this happened it would not allow me to turn off traction control. From the owners manual the following is a picture of what I think was being shown. Its either one of the two pictures, I think its the one that says worn brake pads but not sure. I checked brake fluid level and all is fine. Brake pads are thicker than half pad. When I check the service info on the OBC for the brakes it says 14,000 miles left on the front and 28,000 miles left on the rear. I have 10,200 miles on the car.

On the second set of 4 runs there was no warning lights and traction control was off like normal.

Would any information be stored to be read with a code reader?

I'm not aware of any information being stored to be read later with a code reader. Have you experienced any problems since? During normal driving conditions? I'd seriously consider taking it in under warranty. This is a scary thing to happen so early in the MINI's life.

Old 08-09-2013, 09:04 AM
v10climber
6th Gear
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Never had any issues on our fJCW and we've got hundreds of auto-x runs on it.

Old 08-09-2013, 01:50 PM
k_h_d
6th Gear
Originally Posted by John@ATLMINI
I'm not aware of any information being stored to be read later with a code reader. Have you experienced any problems since? During normal driving conditions? I'd seriously consider taking it in under warranty. This is a scary thing to happen so early in the MINI's life.
Its not happened since. The car has been rock solid. I am thinking its just some sensor with a faulty connection or something, possibly the sensor at the brake reservoir. The reservoir is full so I doubt high G turns would set off a low brake fluid warning. If it happens again I will be worried about it but so far 10,500 miles of no problems.