Tires, Wheels, & Brakes Discussion about wheels, tires, and brakes for the new MINI.

Who makes a good set of wheel spacers?

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2013, 09:47 PM
CynMini
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Who makes a good set of wheel spacers?

For my '05 S. I need and have a generic set of 3mm spacers on the front and I want to replace them with something better.

If I were to go with 5mm spacers would I need longer wheel bolts? I don't have any spacers on the back, so I'll probably put 5mm ones on the rear.

Old 07-25-2013, 11:57 PM
Melangell
6th Gear
Really????

Old 07-26-2013, 12:55 AM
ltjpunk7
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Melangell
Really????
Hahaha.

Sent from my iPhone using NAMotoring

Old 07-26-2013, 03:35 AM
danjreed
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
H&R, Forge Motorsport, 42 Draft Designs..

http://otisincla.com/ carries extended wheel bolts.

Old 07-26-2013, 09:15 AM
CynMini
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Melangell
Really????
Originally Posted by ltjpunk7
Hahaha.

Is there some kind of problem with me asking this?

Old 07-26-2013, 09:49 AM
ltjpunk7
4th Gear
Originally Posted by CynMini

Is there some kind of problem with me asking this?
It's just that you if searched "spacers" or really anything along the lines of your question, you get a bunch of threads with the answer. Even if you don't want to use the search feature on this website, if you Googled it you'd probably get a link to a thread on NAM with the answer. That's preferred rather than starting a new thread to ask the same question that's been answered a bunch of times already. It's simply online forum courtesy.

Old 07-26-2013, 09:49 AM
psichick
3rd Gear
why are you purposely putting wheel spacers on, and putting larger ones on than needed? wheel spacers are never a good idea even when needed, and even more so if you're just going it for looks. they put excess wear on the studs/bolts and can cause premature failure which can lead to disastrous results. just get a set of wheels that actually fit the car.

Old 07-26-2013, 09:51 AM
psichick
3rd Gear
It's just that you if searched "spacers" or really anything along the lines of your question, you get a bunch of threads with the answer. Even if you don't want to use the search feature on this website, if you Googled it you'd probably get a link to a thread on NAM with the answer. That's preferred rather than starting a new thread to ask the same question that's been answered a bunch of times already. It's simply online forum courtesy.

sigh. don't even bother. you'll just get the argument that "it's just as easy to post the question than it is to search for it" even though it's faster to search and the rest of us don't have to see the same thread 239472039842 times. people are just lazy.

Old 07-26-2013, 10:50 AM
CynMini
6th Gear

I did a search last night and only got a couple of threads, which didn't help me. I searched a couple minutes ago and got a lot of threads. So, I already ordered a set of 5mm spacers and longer bolts from Turner.

Originally Posted by psichick
why are you purposely putting wheel spacers on, and putting larger ones on than needed? wheel spacers are never a good idea even when needed, and even more so if you're just going it for looks. they put excess wear on the studs/bolts and can cause premature failure which can lead to disastrous results. just get a set of wheels that actually fit the car.
I put coilovers on and need the spacers to clear the fronts. Iv'e already had 2 sets of new wheels given to me, way back in '04 when I ordered the car. So, I'm not buying new wheels. And, I decided to also put spacers on the rear to match the front. I'm not worried about 5mm spacers causing any problems. Plenty of people have done it with no problems.

Old 07-26-2013, 01:33 PM
danjreed
6th Gear
Originally Posted by psichick
(Eye roll).

Don't ever go to a VW show..

Excuse me, I'm off to hit a school bus with my stretched tires and blacked out side markers.

5mm spacers are harmless.

Now 50mm spacers... now your talking wheel bearing city

Old 07-26-2013, 05:16 PM
CynMini
6th Gear
Originally Posted by danjreed
(Eye roll).

Don't ever go to a VW show..

Excuse me, I'm off to hit a school bus with my stretched tires and blacked out side markers.

5mm spacers are harmless.

Now 50mm spacers... now your talking wheel bearing city
Thank you!

I wouldn't own a VW if you paid me a lot of money.

I've pounded stiffly suspended cars on a daily basis on canyon roads for a half million miles and I've never had to replace a wheel/wheel bearing/bolt or stud or any other part that a 5mm spacer may cause to fail. That's the last thing I'm worried about.

It would have been nice that, instead of being dicks and complaining about my post, that a couple people above would have guided me in the right direction.

Thanks to those that took the time to give me an answer. It was very helpful! I ended up ordering H&R spacers and some longer bolts From Turner

Old 07-26-2013, 06:44 PM
ltjpunk7
4th Gear

Thank you!

I wouldn't own a VW if you paid me a lot of money.

I've pounded stiffly suspended cars on a daily basis on canyon roads for a half million miles and I've never had to replace a wheel/wheel bearing/bolt or stud or any other part that a 5mm spacer may cause to fail. That's the last thing I'm worried about.

It would have been nice that, instead of being dicks and complaining about my post, that a couple people above would have guided me in the right direction.

Thanks to those that took the time to give me an answer. It was very helpful! I ended up ordering H&R spacers and some longer bolts From Turner
I wasn't being a ****. Just commenting that the search feature is underutilized. I swear its comical at times. At the end of the day, do you think it makes any difference in my life if you search or post a question? Haha. No. It's just that it's the same thing every day. Would be nice to see new material on the site. I search before asking questions. I expect the same from everyone else. No harm dude. It's an online forum. Not everything in my life. Glad you could find the info.

Hopefully you can find the search button too.

Old 07-26-2013, 07:48 PM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor
Received 757 Likes on 618 Posts
We have some great 5mm spacers, I've actually been able to machine them down to 3mm for the race car when I needed them.

HOTCHKIS | DDM | CRAVEN | AKRAPOVIC | NM ENGINEERING | MEGAN | FORGE | IE | OS GIKEN | POWERFLEX and more
Old 07-26-2013, 09:46 PM
dannyhavok
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I don't get people who need to police the threads to remind people of the search function. Just don't click on the thread, man. There are 10,000 threads about "which tire is best," and it's all ad clicks and site revenue hat keeps this place running.

I have 5MM H&R spacers, they seem to do the trick.

Old 07-26-2013, 10:08 PM
CynMini
6th Gear
^ Good to hear that, because that's what the brown Santa is going to deliver.

Old 08-02-2013, 10:05 AM
CynMini
6th Gear
Got the H&R 5mm spacers in last night, along with some longer bolts. I went for a nice spin last night and made it back without any wheel bearings exploding. Lol. Here's a couple pics, wheels are 15x7, ET 40 Team Dynamics PR1s and the car is lowered less then an inch. I think I'm going o set it down a little further this weekend.
Name:  2ed4de41e926599d18098f6cd5ffbcff_zps69278199.jpg
Views: 157
Size:  2.56 MB
Name:  f8d24b1053396b74c6dcbccaf37d53c2_zps4c08db91.jpg
Views: 155
Size:  2.75 MB

Old 08-03-2013, 06:02 AM
MKIR53
1st Gear
^ Good to hear that, because that's what the brown Santa is going to deliver.
dannyhavok is dead on. The arrogance of a few douchebags on this forum is remarkable. They are the same douchebags that only post because they want to be the smartest kid in the room all of the time. They get pissed because all they really want is for someone to comment on their comment and tell them how knowledgeable they are. It's called a FORUM for a reason, Itpunk7, psichick and danjreed (aka-" Eye roll" What are you? 12?). A forum is a discussion, not a catalogue.
If people want to start a new thread to ask a question they need an answer to, then who cares? If you don't like it, don't look at it.
Now, go take some classes together in good manners and stop being dicks.

Last edited by MKIR53; 08-03-2013 at 06:22 AM.
Old 08-03-2013, 06:25 AM
danjreed
6th Gear
Originally Posted by MKIR53

dannyhavok is dead on. The arrogance of a few douchebags on this forum is remarkable. They are the same douchebags that only post because they want to be the smartest kid in the room all of the time. They get pissed because all they really want is for someone to comment on their comment and tell them how knowledgeable they are. It's called a FORUM for a reason, Itpunk7, psichick and danjreed (aka-" Eye roll" What are you? 12?). A forum is a discussion, not a catalogue.
If people want to start a new thread to ask a question they need an answer to, then who cares? If you don't like it, don't look at it.
I'm sorry... I was helping... I gave places/brands... Read the entire thread.. My eye roll was directed at the post above mine claiming instant death from spacers..

Perhaps my sarcasm was not strong enough about running into a school bus.

Old 08-03-2013, 08:19 AM
ltjpunk7
4th Gear
Originally Posted by MKIR53
Whoa, buddy. Chill out. Please go back and read my comments before you drag me into the "bully" category.

How is me suggesting using the search function a form of trying to be the smartest guy in the room? I was just trying to help the general public out by explaining forum etiquette in case the guy is new to online forums.

But I'm glad that there's a NAMer out there with the courtesy to police the people that police the people that don't have courtesy. God, I'm so freaking smart. Smartest in the room, hopefully. :r oll::rol l:

Old 08-03-2013, 12:45 PM
CynMini
6th Gear
Originally Posted by danjreed
I'm sorry... I was helping... I gave places/brands... Read the entire thread.. My eye roll was directed at the post above mine claiming instant death from spacers..

Perhaps my sarcasm was not strong enough about running into a school bus.
No, you were perfect!

Old 08-03-2013, 12:56 PM
CynMini
6th Gear
Whoa, buddy. Chill out. Please go back and read my comments before you drag me into the "bully" category.

How is me suggesting using the search function a form of trying to be the smartest guy in the room? I was just trying to help the general public out by explaining forum etiquette in case the guy is new to online forums.

But I'm glad that there's a NAMer out there with the courtesy to police the people that police the people that don't have courtesy. God, I'm so freaking smart. Smartest in the room, hopefully. :r oll::rol l:
Just so you know, I've been on various forums, as long as forums have been around. I did state somewhere that I did a search and only came up with a couple of threads that did not help me. Later, after panties became bound up, I did another search and found a lot more. I'm not sure what happened when I did my first search. I did think it was kinda weird that not much came up. But, I also know that traffic here has been a lot less then it used to be a few years ago, so I decided to go ahead and ask the question. Also, I wanted to get these ordered and on as soon as I could. I was using some cheap generic spacers on the front that Colin just happened to have when he installed my coilovers. I kinda forgot that I needed to replace them, so I decided to get to it as soon as I could, before something bad happened. And it didn't take long for someone here to point me in the right direction. So, thanks for your help. For you other guys, if you just would have pointed me in the right direction, it would have been over and done with, with a thank you from me.

Old 08-03-2013, 01:08 PM
CynMini
6th Gear
And another thing: Things do change. New products come out, new technologies come out, new ideas, the possibilities are endless. So, it never hurts to ask the same question. One time I asked a question on a KTM forum, when I bought my new bike. I had to do a bunch of stuff to make it run right on the street. A guy, ten minutes from me was like: Come on over, I've done that stuff plenty of times. He helped me out, I bought him lunch and beer and everyone was happy. He didn't complain that the questions had been asked before. Could you imagine if a question could only be asked once on a forum. I would become a pretty boring place with no traffic. Not good for the owners of the forum.

Old 08-03-2013, 08:13 PM
ra2fanatic
6th Gear
Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Boy this thread landed in left field. Well I'm glad you got your 5mm spacers. I have the same H&R 5mm spacers. To clear my Stoptech's though, I had to run a minimum of 8mm in the front, so I opted for a 10mm Ichiba spacers. They're a 2piece design. Then I went with a 3mm Akata spacer in the rear to reduce the imbalance from the spacer in the front. Not perfect, but it has served me well on the track.

I see you're local too. Hopefully I run into you one of these days. A buddy of mine has a meet in the 626 for BMW folks, so hopefully I can get some MINI people to come out too!

Old 08-03-2013, 08:41 PM
dpcompt
5th Gear
Received 104 Likes on 74 Posts
discussion and arrogance

Originally Posted by mkir53
dannyhavok is dead on. The arrogance of a few douchebags on this forum is remarkable. They are the same douchebags that only post because they want to be the smartest kid in the room all of the time. They get pissed because all they really want is for someone to comment on their comment and tell them how knowledgeable they are. It's called a forum for a reason, itpunk7, psichick and danjreed (aka-" eye roll" what are you? 12?). A forum is a discussion, not a catalogue.
right on!!!!!!!!!!!!