Tires, Wheels, & Brakes Discussion about wheels, tires, and brakes for the new MINI.

Pics of R53 rims on an R56?

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2010, 09:24 AM
spurvis
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pics of R53 rims on an R56?

I'm pondering the purchase of a set of R53 S-Lites with near new Pirelli HP summer non-run flats. I realize these rims are THE heaviest rims MINI has made, but the price is THAT good and cheaper than buying just 4 new tires.

So is there anyone out there willing to post any pics of a set of S-Lites (or any R53 rim) on an R56? It would be nice to see what it would look like. Thanks in advance for your efforts. Cheers!!

Old 07-07-2010, 12:08 PM
Herleman
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
No pictures, but...

You will have issues with the TPMS system. Gen 2 and Gen 1 use different systems and the Gen 2 system will not fit well on most Gen 1 wheels.

No real issue as long as you ae aware of it and are willing to accept the potential loss of that system (and can tolerate the little triangle on you gauge cluster).

Old 07-07-2010, 12:52 PM
Porthos
OVERDRIVE
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Pre TPMS build on his MCS so he will be fine.

Old 07-07-2010, 01:04 PM
Herleman
5th Gear
Oops -- my bad. I didn't notice the 07 part.

Old 07-07-2010, 01:46 PM
david in germany
5th Gear
How about R50 wheels (R88 double spokes) on my R56?
All you need to do is add the TPMS monitors.

Old 07-07-2010, 01:49 PM
OctaneGuy
Vendor & Moderator :: MINI Camera and Video & c3 club forum
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
There might be some sizing issues on the lug bolt holes. I'm actually having my R53 wheels drilled out as we speak to fit my R55. To do so, they had to remove the tires, and in that process found two of my rims were severely bent, so they are fixing that as well. I knew about the damage before, just didn't know anyone that could fix it!

Anyways, I will have some pix probably tomorrow of my R53 rims on my R55, lol....close.

Richard

Old 07-09-2010, 11:37 PM
manish
2nd Gear
i did not realize gen 1 rims would have a problem with gen2 mcs!!! i bought a used set of 5 star bullets 17" for my 08 mcs. does anyone know if the tpms will transfer over to the bullets?

Old 07-10-2010, 07:49 AM
OctaneGuy
There are two potential issues. The gen 1 wheels changed from 2006 onwards to 14mm lug bolts. Prior to that they were smaller diameter 12mm. I had an '05 MCS with the 12mm so I just got my rims back.

Also, in order to mount the stock TPMS, the wheels are supposed to be designed for mounting them. Apparently it's a flat edge on the inside of the rim where the TPMS can be mounted to.

With that in mind, on my 2010 Clubman S, I was surprised that I don't have any lights or warning dings on since I put my old wheels on without TPMS. Well, I've got an aftermarket Hella TPMS system in, but I don't think or know if it's compatible, but there haven't been anything out of the ordinary since I mounted them!

Stock wheels

With my R53 Custom Painted Wheels

Originally Posted by manish
i did not realize gen 1 rims would have a problem with gen2 mcs!!! i bought a used set of 5 star bullets 17" for my 08 mcs. does anyone know if the tpms will transfer over to the bullets?

Attached Thumbnails Pics of R53 rims on an R56?-img_3758.jpg   Pics of R53 rims on an R56?-img_3814.jpg  
Old 07-10-2010, 08:04 AM
Oxybluecoop
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Old 10-04-2010, 07:23 AM
spurvis
3rd Gear
Thank you!

Sorry for the delay in getting back to this post. I want to thank you all for posting your pics and comments. I was able to score a set S-Lites with the original Pirellis on them for $100! Bonus is the tires are almost new with many, many miles on them to go still. These are gonna turn into my Dragon wheels/tires.

Attached Thumbnails Pics of R53 rims on an R56?-100_1523-2.jpg   Pics of R53 rims on an R56?-100_1525-2.jpg  
Old 10-04-2010, 08:38 AM
ngweibing
6th Gear
looks great and a great deal

Old 10-04-2010, 09:25 PM
ED955S
5th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
So S-Lites from pre-facelift R53 fits R56. Myth busted.

Old 10-28-2010, 04:39 PM
TBangin23
4th Gear
Originally Posted by spurvis
Sorry for the delay in getting back to this post. I want to thank you all for posting your pics and comments. I was able to score a set S-Lites with the original Pirellis on them for $100! Bonus is the tires are almost new with many, many miles on them to go still. These are gonna turn into my Dragon wheels/tires.
What was the date of built on your car? Do you have the annoying little triangle light on because the TPMS isn't compatible? I'm doing the same exact thing you did, upgrading to the R53 S-Lite rims. (except the ones I'm getting are black.) I wasn't sure if there was a way to disable the system? (in worse case scenario.) Any insight is appreciated! :]

Old 11-01-2010, 05:24 PM
spurvis
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by TBangin23
What was the date of built on your car? Do you have the annoying little triangle light on because the TPMS isn't compatible? I'm doing the same exact thing you did, upgrading to the R53 S-Lite rims. (except the ones I'm getting are black.) I wasn't sure if there was a way to disable the system? (in worse case scenario.) Any insight is appreciated! :]

My R56S is a 10/07 build and it came equipped the new type of TPMS, so when I took my 17in Crown Spokes and swapped them out with the 17in S-lites, the TPMS warning light now stays on at all times. At first, I thought it would be annoying, but it turns out that it doesn't at all and I'm already used to the warning chime the alert uses on start up. I don't prefer the alert going off all the time, but the TPMS monitors are just too expensive to install into the S-lites, so I live with alert. No biggie.

I also just purchased a set of Yokohama AVID ENvigor tires for my 16in X-lites (V-spoke) rims to use in the winter, and of course, there is no new style TPMS monitors, so I continue have the warning light. It would seem, those lights will be on until I replace the tires on the 17in Crown Spokes some day. I hope my babbling has helped you. lol

Old 11-01-2010, 06:02 PM
OctaneGuy
You might want to take another look at the available TPMS sensors. To my knowledge there were only two of them, Pre 2010 and after. The units before 2010 are half the price ($170) of the units for 2010 ($320+) and after. I've got the newer style.

Before 2007 as in 2002-2006, the first gens didn't have TPMS sensors in the wheels....so unless you're talking about a new style and old style for 2007 models?? I'm confused.

Richard

Originally Posted by spurvis
My R56S is a 10/07 build and it came equipped the new type of TPMS, so when I took my 17in Crown Spokes and swapped them out with the 17in S-lites, the TPMS warning light now stays on at all times. At first, I thought it would be annoying, but it turns out that it doesn't at all and I'm already used to the warning chime the alert uses on start up. I don't prefer the alert going off all the time, but the TPMS monitors are just too expensive to install into the S-lites, so I live with alert. No biggie.

I also just purchased a set of Yokohama AVID ENvigor tires for my 16in X-lites (V-spoke) rims to use in the winter, and of course, there is no new style TPMS monitors, so I continue have the warning light. It would seem, those lights will be on until I replace the tires on the 17in Crown Spokes some day. I hope my babbling has helped you. lol

Old 11-01-2010, 06:07 PM
TBangin23
4th Gear
Originally Posted by OctaneGuy
You might want to take another look at the available TPMS sensors. To my knowledge there were only two of them, Pre 2010 and after. The units before 2010 are half the price ($170) of the units for 2010 ($320+) and after. I've got the newer style.

Before 2007 as in 2002-2006, the first gens didn't have TPMS sensors in the wheels....so unless you're talking about a new style and old style for 2007 models?? I'm confused.

Richard

Well when I had my 2003 R50, it had TPMS on it. They then changed the settings/components with 2007 they upgraded to a newer system. They weren't/aren't compatible with older rims.

Old 11-01-2010, 06:18 PM
OctaneGuy
Right, that's what I'm saying. Your 2003 R50 had a different system that didn't use sensors in the wheels. So any wheel could be mounted. Your 2007 actually has sensors that replace the valve stems and you're a bit more limited, but still most wheels can be used as long as the lug holes are 14mm and the rim is close enough to the valve stem hole to mount the sensor to.

My wheels were originally on my R53 and were made before the TPMS sensors were on MINIs, so it doesn't have a flat spot to mount the sensors to, but they mounted just fine and work perfectly.

So I'm saying that you CAN get your wheels to work, you just need to add the OEM TPMS sensors for pre 2010 models...if you look hard...you can probably find all 4 for less than $120....

Richard

Well when I had my 2003 R50, it had TPMS on it. They then changed the settings/components with 2007 they upgraded to a newer system. They weren't/aren't compatible with older rims.

Old 11-01-2010, 06:22 PM
TBangin23
4th Gear
Isn't there going to be an issue then with mounting the system to the rims? I thought i hear somewhere that the rims had almost like an edge for the system to mount to, or rest on? I have no idea, lol. Thats why i was asking. Haha.

Originally Posted by OctaneGuy
Right, that's what I'm saying. Your 2003 R50 had a different system that didn't use sensors in the wheels. So any wheel could be mounted. Your 2007 actually has sensors that replace the valve stems and you're a bit more limited, but still most wheels can be used as long as the lug holes are 14mm and the rim is close enough to the valve stem hole to mount the sensor to.

My wheels were originally on my R53 and were made before the TPMS sensors were on MINIs, so it doesn't have a flat spot to mount the sensors to, but they mounted just fine and work perfectly.

So I'm saying that you CAN get your wheels to work, you just need to add the OEM TPMS sensors for pre 2010 models...if you look hard...you can probably find all 4 for less than $120....

Richard

Old 11-01-2010, 06:56 PM
OctaneGuy
Ok for reference, this is the 2010 sensor

This is my wheel. Notice how the hole is close to the level of the rim..that is...if you stick your finger through the hole, you can feel the rim close by. That's what makes my wheel suitable for using the TPMS sensors. Wheels specifically designed for TPMS sensors have a flat spot on the rim or pad that the sensor sits on.

With the sensor attached

Isn't there going to be an issue then with mounting the system to the rims? I thought i hear somewhere that the rims had almost like an edge for the system to mount to, or rest on? I have no idea, lol. Thats why i was asking. Haha.

Attached Thumbnails Pics of R53 rims on an R56?-dsc_4579_2.jpg   Pics of R53 rims on an R56?-dsc_4593.jpg   Pics of R53 rims on an R56?-dsc_4597.jpg  
Old 11-01-2010, 07:11 PM
TBangin23
4th Gear
ohhh! gotcha. okay, so then i could purchase a set for my s-lites i'm getting. another question for whoever.. when the valve stem needs replace. can i go to any garage? or am i gonna need a special one, from MINI?

Old 11-01-2010, 07:28 PM
OctaneGuy
Exactly, you can purchase a set of 4..just make sure to get it for your model year, pre 2010. The valve stem and sensor are both parts of the TPMS sensor...any good wheel shop can get those sensors for you for much less than the dealership. I got mine mail order, but should have checked with my local wheel guy first because he was able to get them $80 cheaper.

But as far as installation is concerned, the same shop that mounts and balances your tire can mount the sensors.

Richard

ohhh! gotcha. okay, so then i could purchase a set for my s-lites i'm getting. another question for whoever.. when the valve stem needs replace. can i go to any garage? or am i gonna need a special one, from MINI?

Old 11-01-2010, 07:43 PM
TBangin23
4th Gear
Damn.. Well, I need a new valve stem on the one tire I have on the car now. Does that mean I'll need to get another TPM thing too to replace it all? Or can the garage just replace the valve stem in there?

Last edited by TBangin23; 11-01-2010 at 07:44 PM. Reason: Spelling.
Old 11-01-2010, 07:51 PM
OctaneGuy
Oh I misunderstood. What makes you think you need a new valve stem? If it's just a regular valve stem, you can get that from any tire shop. I didn't see in this thread about you posting about a broken/bad valve stem though.

If you have the TPMS system on these wheels, you will need to get the valve stems only that are for the factory TPMS as they screw into the sensor bodies.

Damn.. Well, I need a new valve stem on the one tire I have on the car now. Does that mean I'll need to get another TPM thing too to replace it all? Or can the garage just replace the valve stem in there?

Old 11-01-2010, 07:57 PM
TBangin23
4th Gear
Oh, sorry. Basically two stories to it. I was curious about getting the monitors for the S-Lites I purchased. But, on the sidewinders that are on my S now, the one cap will not come off for the life of me, or the three garages I took it to. Tires not up to correct pressure, so they said they would have to replace the valve stem. Just making sure they can swap it out? Or am I going to need to purchase a new set up. I just wasn't sure if the valve stem came in the monitor like molded into it? Or how that works. That's were the second story came from.. Haha. Sorry for the confusion. :X

Old 11-01-2010, 09:48 PM
nics.sd
3rd Gear
R90 on a 2011 R56?

I have a similar question, I don't want to start a new thread so I'll just post it here.

Will R90 BBS wheels fit in my 2011 R56? And about the TPMS, can I just use the sensors that I have in my wheels and transfer them to the R90s?

TIA!

Quick Reply: Pics of R53 rims on an R56?