Tires, Wheels, & Brakes Discussion about wheels, tires, and brakes for the new MINI.

Wash DC '03 MCS needs Tires & Front Rotors

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2009, 11:54 AM
SemperGumby27
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wash DC '03 MCS needs Tires & Front Rotors

I'm sure that this has been done before but my futile attempts at searching has turned up nothing.

I have a 2003 CooperS and found out from the inspection today that I need tires and front rotors. Here's my questions:

1. I just moved from South Carolina to Washington, DC so I do not know but I assume that I need "snow" tires. Is this correct and if so what type should I look at? My commute is 45 miles one way so it has to have good life to it.

Also, if I need snow tires, when do I put them on? I am thinking about getting them now on the OEM rims so in the spring I will purchase another set of rims and a summer tire. Would it be too premature to put them on now?

2. Being the front rotors need to be replaced what is a good set up for a daily driver that will hopefully see the dragon next spring? Drilled? Slotted?

Thank you for your help!

Old 09-18-2009, 12:44 PM
NightFlyR
6th Gear
I would not used Drilled Rotors have seen a few bad things happen with those, Slotted or stock is normally fine unless you are doing heavy track.
As for Snows, I would say yes for sure get a dedicated set, to early right now to put them on, Normally i wait till the 2week of November but that depends on were you live. Currently i am running the general Atimax Artic, they have been very good, they are NOT run Flats. Check out Alex at tirerack, he will set you up with a good package.

Old 09-18-2009, 01:28 PM
DaCrema
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I second Tire Rack but if you want to help a local business talk to Radial Tire in Silver Spring, MD (
[SIZE=2][/SIZE][SIZE=3]). They have been good friends to sports car owners for a long time, support the local SCCA, and have good prices. I find it best to deliver the wheels and pick them up at a later date other wise get there early.[/SIZE]
The winters here are mostly wet with lots of ice that melts shortly after sun up. Going with snow tires are a good idea still, and likely could wait until late Nov. If you have a nice warm place to mount them Dec. Most people here use all season tires in the winter and I know of people who run performance tires year around in the DC area but if you have to travel far, or if you live west or north of DC, you would be pushing your luck.
If you happen to be one of those who absolutely must be at work no mater what the weather is - get snows instead of all season tyres. Also plan to get to work early. You should bring food, sleeping bag and good book. At our office we keep people where they are rather than risk injury (the record so far is 52hours on duty). It is best not to be on the road when a snow flake falls in this town. People here are from all over the country (well world really) some know how to handle snow and ice. Some know how to handle snow. Some think they do. The rest are just out of their minds.
John

Last edited by DaCrema; 09-18-2009 at 01:35 PM. Reason: snow
Old 09-18-2009, 01:41 PM
slinger688
6th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
I think the snow situation is not too severe in Washington DC so if you are comfortable with snow drving, you could possibly get away with good all season tires. Do not use high performance summer tires as they tend become hard and to lose grip when it is cold.

Dedicated snows as suggested by JRoca will help if you are not confident with snow driving. If you have snows, wait till perhaps end November, early december to put them on and remove them in early-Mid April. Generally, snows should not be driven when the temperatures are consistently above 45-50 degrees F.

Old 09-22-2009, 04:04 PM
ignote
5th Gear
I run dedicated performance in the Summer and have a spare set of snows for the Winter. I usually wait until the day before they are calling for snow before I switch the wheels. Usually takes 30 minutes in the garage.

Old 09-23-2009, 04:45 AM
SemperGumby27
1st Gear
Thank you everyone for the info. At this point I think I have to get all weather because I need them this week rather than waiting until mid November. Guess I'll be getting a set for snow and then another for Spring/Summer after that! The wife is going to love this! lol