Tires, Wheels, & Brakes Discussion about wheels, tires, and brakes for the new MINI.

New rims and tires question: buy new TPMS or reuse with rebuild kit?

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2009, 08:23 PM
aafflyer
5th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
New rims and tires question: buy new TPMS or reuse with rebuild kit?

So I've finally decided to ditch the run flats on my 16" S-Winder tires and as long as I'm making the change I'm going with some new Enkei PKR 17" wheels. I'm pairing them up with the BFG g-Force Sport. I'm not looking to discuss the merits of the wheel choice or the tire choice, as for me it was a painful process to get to this decision point (i.e. should I do it? Yes, no, yes, no, etc), not to mention 16" vs 17" and run-flats vs non-run flats.

I've really got an excellent deal from Discount Tire that has always treated me well on all my cars over the years.

As of right now, I've got the order written to install new TPMS sensors in the new tires, thus leaving the nine month "old" sensors in the stock tires as is. My plan is to run with the new wheels and tires for awhile to make sure I am really happy with the switch to 17" (and the switch to non run-flats), and then probably put the stock wheels and tires up for sale (either through NAM or Southern California Mini Maniacs club). It's going to take a few days until the wheels get to the store, so I have until then to decide on changing the TPMS decision.

Since Discount Tires sold me the new TPMS sensors for $160 and the TPMS rebuild kit would be $20 (plus I'm not sure if they would charge me labor for dismounting the TPMS from the old tires, remounting the tires, and re-balancing), it seems like $140 is not a bad price to leave the original tires alone. Plus it seems when and if I sell the tires, there is some extra value in having the TPMS included with the sale, i.e. I should recapture some if not all of the $140 at that point.

So, my question is to those of you who have gotten new wheels and tires: have your moved your TPMS system or bought new sensors?

Old 06-30-2009, 02:01 PM
rallymaniac
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
since you're ditching RFT tires i don't see the point of spending money on the TPMS. You will notice the flat anyway since it will be not RFT tire anymore. I don't have TPMS on my summer wheels and I don't have the light or anything. Just an unecessary cost IMHO.

Old 06-30-2009, 02:32 PM
slinger688
6th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
I bought new sensors because I use both sets of rims, one for winter and one for summer. This may be a consideration for you as well.

On an 09 MCS, the TPMS light will turn on if you do not have sensors. Whether it is annoying is your call if you decide to keep the 17" and did not put the sensors in.

On the used market, it does seem like the TPMS sensors add a little to the price of the wheel/tire set but may not be the $140 you mentioned.

Old 06-30-2009, 02:34 PM
slinger688
6th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by rallymaniac
since you're ditching RFT tires i don't see the point of spending money on the TPMS. You will notice the flat anyway since it will be not RFT tire anymore. I don't have TPMS on my summer wheels and I don't have the light or anything. Just an unecessary cost IMHO.
Rallymaniac, you do not have TPMS in your 2006 r50 so you do not need to spend money on them.

Old 07-01-2009, 10:47 PM
aafflyer
5th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I've decided that I'm going to go with new TPMS sensors for the new wheels and leave the old stock wheels as is. This way they are all set if I ever want to put them back on (or buy some 16" non run flats for the wheels).

And if I sell the S-Winders someone gets a deal in that the tires are ready to go for the buyer.

Charlie

Old 03-05-2010, 12:07 PM
rallymaniac
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by slinger688
Rallymaniac, you do not have TPMS in your 2006 r50 so you do not need to spend money on them.
umm actually I do and i did get a light when I got the flat in my winter tire on stock rims with TPMS sensors. there is also the "clear the light" switch next to my parking brake.