Suspension Springs, struts, coilovers, sway-bars, camber plates, and all other modifications to suspension components for Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Suspension Suspension help

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2004, 08:56 PM
miniotto
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Suspension help

I have an 04 cooper non-S without the sport suspension. If I get the H&R sport springs will I have to get new struts for it? Or If I get any lowering springs will I have to get new struts? How about bump stops do I have to cut them? I'm looking to lower it a little bit not slam it to the ground. I pretty much just want to get rid of "the gap" I don't want that tucked in look. I don't mind getting a little harsher ride but not to the point where I'll get bruised kidneys from it though. I'm running with S-lites with 215/45/17 Toyos. Will there be a problem with rubbing? Any suggestions on which springs to get and any other info would be great. Thanks to all.

Old 11-29-2004, 09:11 PM
dave
pug poo picker-upper
Received 30 Likes on 18 Posts
I would also look at the H-sports and the M7 springs depending on how much drop you want.

The stock struts will be just fine with the H&R's, H-sports, or M7 springs. FWIW, I have almost 40,000 miles on my stock struts with the H&R's.

Old 11-29-2004, 09:19 PM
kenchan
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
H-Sports also come with very detailed illustrated instructions and new
bumpstops. If you prefer to keep your boots on the dampers, then you
will car a part of the stock bumpstops that hold the boot in place. The
ride is a little firmer than stock, but it rides quite well.

I would also recommend checking out www.outmotoring.com Alta lowering
springs. I think they have them on sale too. :smile:

Old 11-29-2004, 09:25 PM
tontobird
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't know much about the M7 springs, but when the 2 basic choices were H-sport or H & R, H & R springs were known to give more lowering. My MINI Cooper S has H & R springs and has almost 37,000 miles on the original struts. To give you an idea of how low my H & R springs are, I cannot fit my fingers in the "gap" btw. the wheel and the fender flare in the rear. I also have the S-lites, with Yokohama AVS ES100s in 215/45/17. I had a little bit of rubbing the first day (in July) with those tires, and then it went away never to come back. That's been my experience. Good luck.

Old 11-29-2004, 09:31 PM
Rally@StanceDesign
Former Vendor
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Here is a pic of my non-s cooper on H&R's (its hard to find pics of non-S's it seems)

(the back sits a little higher then yours may because i have been removing weight from the rear and its slowly getting taller back there :smile: )

Stock struts are strong enough to use the lowering springs on them. I personally love my H&R's. I wouldnt trade them unless i went up to coilovers. Although i do plan on getting some Koni's in the future...but thats just for the adjustability they offer

Old 11-30-2004, 04:30 AM
onasled
Banned
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by miniotto
I have an 04 cooper non-S without the sport suspension. If I get the H&R sport springs will I have to get new struts for it? Or If I get any lowering springs will I have to get new struts? How about bump stops do I have to cut them? I'm looking to lower it a little bit not slam it to the ground. I pretty much just want to get rid of "the gap" I don't want that tucked in look. I don't mind getting a little harsher ride but not to the point where I'll get bruised kidneys from it though. I'm running with S-lites with 215/45/17 Toyos. Will there be a problem with rubbing? Any suggestions on which springs to get and any other info would be great. Thanks to all.
If you click on my link below, you can see photos of my Mini with H-sports.

They lowered my car just as you described and they ride great. I do hit the bump stops though on hard bump on our rough roads here in CT.
I also run 215/45/17s on my car, but they are on Kosies and it dose rub in the rear. BUT don't let this deter you as the plastic wheel well can be trimmed easy enough. Fact is that you may not have a problem with yours.
I highly recommend this mod. I would also urge you to consider doing a rear sway bar and lower control arms at the same time. The sway bar is about the best handling mod that you can do. Recommend the H-Sport comp myself.
Even though you are just lowering the car about 1"- 1.5" with the H-Sports, your rear camber will be off quite a bit. This is not a problem for the car, and it will handle OK (actually might make the front push too much), but it's the possible un-even tire wear you need to watch. This is why you may want to consider a lower control arm mod.

Old 11-30-2004, 10:29 AM
tontobird
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Good point about the control arms. I had to have rear lower adjustable control arms added as my camber was way too negative and I was getting markedly uneven tire wire in the back.

Some people with springs that don't lower the car as much have skipped them and just rotate a lot. It depends on your car and how it comes out.

Old 11-30-2004, 11:19 AM
sfjames2
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hello miniotto, I'm riding on m7 springs and love the way they've been performing. I have a MCS and would say the I'm about a half inch lower than RallyMini all the way around.
I'm suspecting RallyMini is a bit higher because the Coopers are a bit lighter than the MCS. hope I helped, good luck.

btw, I'm running on stock runflats using a 15mm spacer at each corner and do not rub.