Suspension Springs, struts, coilovers, sway-bars, camber plates, and all other modifications to suspension components for Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S (R56), and Cabrio (R57) MINIs.

Suspension Strut Socket Alternatives?

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2018, 06:58 PM
KrisHorton
1st Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Strut Socket Alternatives?

Hey all, I apologize in advance if this has been discussed. I've done some searching and haven't found a straight answer.

I have a set of Megan Euro II coil overs for my R53 and this weekend looks like it'd be a perfect opportunity to install them as I'm generally very busy and have a little free time. A friend and I were planning on tackling the install in my garage, at least until I started seeing comments about needing a BMW strut socket tool. I have a feeling that I won't be able to get my hands on one in the next 36 hours, so I wanted to post up and see if there are workable/reasonable alternatives to having this tool.

I have both pneumatic and electric impact guns, but I believe this route is generally frowned upon.

Any input is much appreciated and again, sorry if this is a silly or needless question.

Old 06-22-2018, 03:23 AM
cristo
Alliance Member
Received 203 Likes on 167 Posts
An deep offset box wrench can work depending on the angle of the offset.
A vice grip on a socket (may need to grind two flat spots for better purchase of the vice grip) with an allen down the center can also work.

Old 06-22-2018, 03:31 AM
njaremka
Alliance Member
Received 1,715 Likes on 1,382 Posts
If the Megan’s have top hats on them, no need for the strut tool. The strut tool is for removing the top strut mount front the strut.

Old 06-22-2018, 08:12 AM
gumbedamit
5th Gear
Received 96 Likes on 87 Posts
Two things: You have a R53?, you're posing is in 2nd Gen.

I used a box wrench and an Allen Key to tighten the top of my strut. Spray up your Pinch Bolt the night before, I've been down that road..

Old 06-22-2018, 08:13 AM
KrisHorton
1st Gear
Originally Posted by njaremka
If the Megan’s have top hats on them, no need for the strut tool. The strut tool is for removing the top strut mount front the strut.
By top hats, do you mean the adjustment *****? I noticed the nut on the top of the Megans is about an 18 or 19mm as well, so it seems the 21mm strut tool would be completely pointless. The Megans have camber plates, etc. so I thought it might be different.

I should also note that this is for an R53...sorry about that. Realized after posting that I'm in the Gen 2 section. Thanks for the info though, I appreciate it!

Old 06-22-2018, 08:15 AM
KrisHorton
1st Gear
Originally Posted by gumbedamit
Two things: You have a R53?, you're posing is in 2nd Gen.

I used a box wrench and an Allen Key to tighten the top of my strut. Spray up your Pinch Bolt the night before, I've been down that road..
LOL yeah sorry about that. Realized shortly after I posted. Thanks for the heads up on the pinch bolt too! I was going to put the car up tonight so I can start early tomorrow. It's going to be about 112 degrees out, so the earlier I can start the better.

Old 06-22-2018, 08:23 AM
njaremka
Alliance Member
Received 1,715 Likes on 1,382 Posts
Euro 1:

Euro 2:

The front Megan coilovers come with the strut mounting plate. No need to dismantle the stock strut to install the Magans. If you have the Euro 2 set, you even have the rear top hat, so no need to dismantle the rears.

This thread is moot.

Old 06-22-2018, 08:38 AM
KrisHorton
1st Gear
Originally Posted by njaremka
Euro 1:

Euro 2:

The front Megan coilovers come with the strut mounting plate. No need to dismantle the stock strut to install the Magans. If you have the Euro 2 set, you even have the rear top hat, so no need to dismantle the rears.

This thread is moot.
Hey I've never been so happy to hear my thread is moot. lol

Thank you for the clarification though.

The following users liked this post:
njaremka (06-22-2018)