Suspension Springs, struts, coilovers, sway-bars, camber plates, and all other modifications to suspension components for Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Suspension How difficult are coilovers to install?

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2017, 07:06 PM
minihoon
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How difficult are coilovers to install?

So this is my first post but i am ordering raceland coilovers for my 05 cooper s. I really want to install them myself with the help of a friend, however both of us are noobs. The only thing i've done to the car is put on some new wheels(esm 007). Anyway this is my first car so i don't have too much experience. My question is how difficult would it be for two noobs to install raceland coilovers on my 05 cooper s. I really do not want to bring it to a shop.

Old 04-04-2017, 07:32 PM
-=gRaY rAvEn=-
Received 64 Likes on 54 Posts
Seen some cases where pinch bolts break off = PITA if that happens. In that case, if a DD, get some of that hardware from your MINI dealer ahead of time. It will limit your down time since most of that hardware will not be in their inventory.

And unless your MINI has been under a good maintenance plan by the PO, betting most of the bolts under the car will be tough to remove. Get a can of PB Blaster. Determine what bolts you will be removing ahead of time and over a few days start spraying them down.

Check youtube for a DIY on a 1st Gen MINI. I think I saw one...And you will need to have an alignment done by someone familiar with the car.

Old 04-04-2017, 07:36 PM
-=gRaY rAvEn=-
PS: Did they come with front camber plates?....didnt see those included with that brand/package.

Old 04-04-2017, 07:50 PM
minihoon
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by -=gRay rAvEn=-
PS: Did they come with front camber plates?....didnt see those included with that brand/package.
I don't think they do, i only plan on going about an inch and a half lower though would i need camber plates?

Old 04-04-2017, 08:10 PM
-=gRaY rAvEn=-
There are many kits on the market that come with camber plates for fronts. You will need those if going lower than 25mm or 1/2 inch. ( Isnt much )

Since the CO's you ordered were not part of the kit. Here is link for set from Waymotorworks. This particular set while inexpensive are prone to some rusting issues, but that can be remedied with periodic sprays of WD40 when you detail the car.

http://www.waymotorworks.com/ireland...s-r50-r53.html

You will ALSO need a set of adjustable lower rear control arms or that negative camber in the back will tear up a set of tires in 1000 miles.. Just get the lowers for now, you will be fine.

http://www.waymotorworks.com/h-sport...ber-links.html

Then get a proper alignment by a BMW or MINI dealer....

Old 04-04-2017, 09:05 PM
Scooter24
4th Gear
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
The job isn't bad to do as long as you don't have issues getting bolts out like stated above. Soak bolts with a penetrating oil and it's pretty straight forward.

Old 04-05-2017, 12:07 PM
NC TRACKRAT
6th Gear
Received 200 Likes on 147 Posts
I guess my question is why coil-overs? Are you going to be using the car on the track? If not, lowering springs, some good camber plates up front and lower control arms in the rear will save you a lot of money and be a relatively easy install. You can get almost 2 degrees neg. camber in the front and, depending on the springs you select, give you the drop you desire along with a more comfortable ride. Add a good adjustable rear bar and you're in for some inexpensive fun.

Old 04-06-2017, 05:20 PM
-=gRaY rAvEn=-
After having been in/driven 1st and 2nd gen MINI's with; JCW Suspensions, those with lowering springs, and those with adjustable coil-over suspension. I put my money on the JCW Suspension or going with a mid/upper grade adjustable kit.

Way has this KW kit that uses the stock front camber plates....maybe give him a call
and tell him what you are looking for in ride quality ect.

http://www.waymotorworks.com/kw-vari...r50-52-53.html

PS: KW supports our JCW Racing Team, LAP Motorsports.

Old 04-06-2017, 06:00 PM
bavmotors
6th Gear
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
My advice would be have A Torch handy, especially if it's the first time these parts are being replaced. Otherwise it's a pretty straight forward job, nice to have a helping hand also. Even a small propane torch helps, just takes longer.