Suspension Springs, struts, coilovers, sway-bars, camber plates, and all other modifications to suspension components for Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Suspension How difficult are coilovers to install?

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2017, 06:54 PM
minihoon
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How difficult are coilovers to install?

I am pretty set on ordering race land coilovers for my 05 cooper s. However im a total noob at working on cars(it's my first car). My friend intends to help me install the coilovers, but he also has little experience with this. So my question is how difficult will coilovers be to install between two noobs? Or would i be better off bringing it to a shop as all i have done so far to the car is put on new wheels(esm 007). Tools shouldn't be a problem i'll buy whatever i don't have.

Old 04-04-2017, 09:48 PM
Minnie.the.Moocher
OVERDRIVE
Received 570 Likes on 486 Posts
Overview of process http://www.meganracing.com/tech/inst...l%20coil-overs

I don't consider it noob territory.

Old 04-05-2017, 12:45 AM
808R53
3rd Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Utube

Old 04-06-2017, 10:36 AM
Gitmoe
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Coilovers aren't that bad. I've done them on several cars. I'll be doing my R53 soon finally. You'll want one of these... https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-...300491931~oem/

The upper front strut nut is weird on the MINI. It's the first time I've ever needed a special tool to do a coilover install. The danger is the compression bolt in the front knuckle. If you break that head off you're pretty screwed. I've heard they can be tight and a pain to get loose.

Old 04-06-2017, 10:56 AM
MrBlah
6th Gear - AX Champion
Received 264 Likes on 210 Posts
pretty easy, a little more tricky if you do alignments yourself

Old 04-06-2017, 11:22 AM
gumbedamit
5th Gear
Received 96 Likes on 87 Posts
Originally Posted by Gitmoe
Coilovers aren't that bad. I've done them on several cars. I'll be doing my R53 soon finally. You'll want one of these... https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-...300491931~oem/

The upper front strut nut is weird on the MINI. It's the first time I've ever needed a special tool to do a coilover install. The danger is the compression bolt in the front knuckle. If you break that head off you're pretty screwed. I've heard they can be tight and a pain to get loose.
The "Pinch Bolt"?
If that is what you are talking about , YES, if you break the head off that bolt, you are screwed....I broke mine off replacing my struts, had to get another knuckle after spending too much time trying to drill it out when I could have just spent $40 and 30 mins getting another knuckle. Make sure you spray tons of penetrating oil before attempting. A impact wrench is your BEST friend....

Old 04-06-2017, 01:52 PM
Guke
1st Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by gumbedamit
The "Pinch Bolt"?
If that is what you are talking about , YES, if you break the head off that bolt, you are screwed....I broke mine off replacing my struts, had to get another knuckle after spending too much time trying to drill it out when I could have just spent $40 and 30 mins getting another knuckle. Make sure you spray tons of penetrating oil before attempting. A impact wrench is your BEST friend....
I can also confirm this. Broke the head off of BOTH pinch bolts. Took surprisingly little force with a breaker bar. I sprayed penetrating oil and everything. It feels like its coming out then POP!... luckily I was already replacing the knuckles, ball joints and wheel bearings and installing coilovers.

Old 04-07-2017, 06:22 PM
Chris Fit Taylor
Neutral
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Super easy

My brother and I worked on my R53 last August. Purchased some Megan euro street II from ECS Tuning and we installed everything in front of the house WITHOUT power tools in 1.5hours. He did the back I did the front. Then used Groupon to get a $50 alignment from sears. Haha 😂🤣😭