Suspension Video: Bilstein HDs vs non-sport (Rears)

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2016, 04:56 AM
eg3
2nd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Video: Bilstein HDs vs non-sport (Rears)

I just received and got installed the Bilstein HD dampers for my CMS. I didn't have time to test it throughly but when compared to non-sport, I can confidently say that they're much better. The jumpiness is gone, they're stiffer but they don't crash as the non-sport did. Btw, I'm riding on a lowered CM with H&R springs so I can't comment on a non-lowered car. Below is a video where I hand-press both dampers. It's shocking that I can press the non-sport dampers that easily with hand. I wonder how Mini thought these would act when carrying 500 kilos of axle load.

https://eg3.smugmug.com/photos/i-7KM...KMpjPm-960.mp4

Old 05-14-2016, 07:34 AM
pj.rodriguez
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just wondering how you like the HD's after some time now? Especially on the H&R springs. Looking to get into the Countryman at some point and suspension is the first thing on my list. Are the H&R springs specific to the countryman with the added weight? Haven't looked into it much yet.

Old 05-14-2016, 08:03 AM
eg3
2nd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by pj.rodriguez
Just wondering how you like the HD's after some time now? Especially on the H&R springs. Looking to get into the Countryman at some point and suspension is the first thing on my list. Are the H&R springs specific to the countryman with the added weight? Haven't looked into it much yet.
Let's start with hor H&R springs ride first:

My CM has non-sport suspension. That is, the dampers are softer and front/rear anti roll bars are smaller. With H&R springs, ride is a little firmer on regular roads but harsh on uneven pavement. The front dampers work well enough with firmer springs but rear is very jumpy unless the road is absolutely smooth. I think sport suspension would work better but with regular non-sport, I don't recommend H&Rs without changing the dampers as well

Now, with just changing the rears with Bilstein HDs, it's a night and day difference. The jumpiness goes away, handling is much better with firmer rear and the car feels much balanced. This should be the minimum you should do. I think it'd be much better if it's all around HDs but if you want to try it out, start with rears first.

Finally, I'll say that I got rid of the H&Rs at the end. The roads we have in Istanbul is absolutely crap and the extra firmness H&Rs add is not worth the loss of comfort on bad roads. I just added a 23mm rear sway bar, the Bilsteins I kept and the car handles good enough with regular springs.

If you'd ask me what should be the order of modifying a non-sport CM suspension, I say Bilstein HDs first, sway bar next and a front strut brace next. Unless you want to lower your car, H&Rs , IMO, is not absolutely necessary.

I hope this helps.

The following users liked this post:
SunBird (11-22-2019)