Suspension Springs, struts, coilovers, sway-bars, camber plates, and all other modifications to suspension components for Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Suspension Powerflex or OEM Control Arm Bushings?

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2014, 01:34 PM
Courtois
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Powerflex or OEM Control Arm Bushings?

My MINI mechanic suggested I replace the control arm bushings on my 2004 MC, 40K miles, sport suspension plus. Should I go with Powerflex polyurethane bushings or OEM rubber bushings? Is there any increase in vibration felt in the steering wheel with the Powerflex bushings?

It seems most folks like the Powerflex bushings (https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...-feedback.html), but every so often I'll see a post that mentions problems:

"After driving around with lubed urethane bushings for 5K miles, I can tell you that they squeak & transfer more NVH which causes your dash to rattle/squeak more. This has always been my experience with urethane bushings but after hearing everyone on the Web say how great they are, I wasted hours of my time to make my car worse than stock."
(https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ll-joints.html)

I use the MINI for TSD rallies, a few solo events a year, but mostly for transportation, although it's not a daily driver. I've been very happy with the OEM sport suspension plus, so I hesitate to make any changes, but I don't want to miss the chance to improve things if the Powerflex bushings really are better.

Thanks for your thoughts,

Marty

Old 06-12-2014, 03:42 PM
Rich.Wolfson
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Courtois
My MINI mechanic suggested I replace the control arm bushings on my 2004 MC, 40K miles...Thanks for your thoughts,
If you don’t go with PowerFlex you will be replacing these bushings every 40,000 miles. Do you want to do that? The urethane may actually last as long as the car.

Mine have never made a squeak and I would never recommend OEM on LCA bushings EVER!

///Rich

Old 06-12-2014, 04:07 PM
kazlot
4th Gear
Powerflex or OEM Control Arm Bushings?

I use the MINI for TSD rallies, a few solo events a year, but mostly for transportation, although it's not a daily driver. I've been very happy with the OEM sport suspension plus, so I hesitate to make any changes, but I don't want to miss the chance to improve things if the Powerflex bushings really are better.
Thanks for your thoughts,
Marty

Why change if you're happy. Is it really an improvement for a few events a year if the rest of the time it's not an improvement.
Everybody has a difference of opinion on how much NVH is acceptable and if you're concerned don't use aftermarket.

Now having said all that of course the Powerflex LCA bushings are an improvement
just like polyurethane lower engine mounts and transmission mounts are an improvement.

If your mechanic is recommending new LCA bushings even stock ones will be a noticeable improvement.

Hope this helps...

Old 06-12-2014, 05:19 PM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts
Powerflex....basicly a lifetime part.
NVH change was not noticeable IMO....very subtile at best/worst.

Old 06-12-2014, 06:43 PM
Melangell
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You really have no idea (nor sought to really research)... Endearing...

Old 06-12-2014, 07:10 PM
Sideways
1st Gear
Do it!
I'm about to replace my PowerFlex LCA bushings at about 90,000 mi. on the car (2008 MCS - had em' in my R53 also). I had them installed @ ~15,000 mi. and I still consider them one of the most essential mods, especially for the R56. The stock "tuned for runflats" bushings in the R56 are crap - even softer than the R53. IMHO that's the main reason that everybody said the electric power steering in the R56 sucked. Very little increase in NVH and much more precise steering are the benefits. Not a cheap mod, but if you have to replace yours anyway, PowerFlex 100% all the way.

I do a dozen to 20 autocrosses a year and we have some pretty nasty roads in central Mass (daily driver). So, while they might not be "lifetime" parts, I'd say they start off much better & last about twice as long as the stock bushings.

Old 06-15-2014, 02:14 PM
ashchuckton
5th Gear
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
I have the Powerflex control arm bushings. I'm very sensitive to NVH. IMO they don't add any, go for it.

Old 06-17-2014, 11:38 AM
Courtois
1st Gear
Thanks to everyone for your thoughts on this. I know this topic has been discussed a lot, and the evidence is overwhelmingly in favor of Powerflex bushings, but the occasional negative comment sticks in my mind.

In terms of NVH, I could live with an increases in Noise and Harshness, but I really don't want to feel any Vibration, particularly through the steering wheel. In your experiences with Powerflex LCA bushings, did you notice any increase in vibration through the steering wheel?

Thanks again!

Marty

Old 06-17-2014, 11:47 AM
c0op3r
5th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Is this a real question? Cause it should not be!

(say it in an Obi Wan Kenobi voice) Trust the mechanic and the parts will be be with you . . .

Old 06-17-2014, 11:54 AM
Swimbaxter
4th Gear
You will never get 100% of the people on here to agree on 100% of anything however Powerflex in this circumstance is all but unanimous as a recommendation. That's as good as you will ever get for a rec. I have done it and didn't notice any NVH. This is clearly the way to go.

Old 06-19-2014, 06:34 PM
CARdiac
5th Gear
I am a +1...did the poly on my S the same time MINI did the stock on my wife's S...time to replace the wife's, mine are still good. No road noise that I noticed....no squeaking, I am very happy with mine- not so much with my wife's

Last edited by CARdiac; 07-08-2014 at 06:22 AM.
Old 06-24-2014, 11:28 PM
jgk6502
3rd Gear
Another option is, instead of stock OEM rubber bushings, ask your mechanic about higher-end rubber bushings.
The reason I suggest this, is because when I took my MINI in for an inspection, the mechanic suggested to replace the bushings. I asked if he recommended Power-flex and he said that they use bushings meant for BMWs that fit the MINI. Better quality rubber. It was a highly recommended shop in my area too.
I ended up changing them myself, and it was the first major car work I did other than changing engine and trans fluid. Took me forever, but the results were great. And you definitely need a press if you go the rubber route.

Old 07-05-2014, 06:57 PM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor
Received 757 Likes on 618 Posts
Go with the Powerflex Bushings. We install them on every MINI and have done hundreds of sets with not one problem.

HOTCHKIS | DDM | CRAVEN | AKRAPOVIC | NM ENGINEERING | MEGAN | FORGE | IE | OS GIKEN | POWERFLEX and more