Suspension Question before installed front strut brace bar

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2013, 05:22 AM
Z06_Pilot
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question before installed front strut brace bar

Hi folks,

I am going to install the VIP engineering front strut braces and bar, but I have a question. our 2013 CMJCW has a hood seal around each side of the engine. In order to install the bar, I have to either cut into that border on each side or simply take it off.

I would rather just take it off, and it's held in place by those black "button" type of push-in plugs(there are a LOT of these under the hood holding plastic pieces to the frame).

Does anyone know how these come off? I was going to just pry them off with a screwdriver slipped under the lip of each "button", but don't want to break them in case I ever want to put the border back on.

Thanks!

Jeff

Last edited by Z06_Pilot; 08-09-2013 at 05:50 AM.
Old 08-09-2013, 08:26 AM
Braminator
OVERDRIVE
Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts
Its there for a reason. IMO just trim the seal. Wait to you see how it changes the feel and sound of your MINI when it is on.

Old 08-09-2013, 09:02 AM
v10climber
6th Gear
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
The center smaller button comes out first. Then you can remove the rest of the clip. It's pretty self explanatory once you get the first one out. Swing by an auto parts store and pick up a clip remover. Very handy to have around. Example picture below....

Old 08-09-2013, 09:44 AM
Z06_Pilot
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Braminator
Its there for a reason. IMO just trim the seal. Wait to you see how it changes the feel and sound of your MINI when it is on.
yea, good point...I was actually thinking this after I posted it...just a small slit in each one is all I will need....

thanks for the reality check....can't wait to get it on. Going to have the nm engineering 22mm rear anti-sway put on next week, so, short of putting on coil-overs, I think the suspension should be pretty sweet....

Just in time for our Dragon trip in Early September...

Old 08-09-2013, 09:46 AM
Z06_Pilot
5th Gear
Originally Posted by v10climber
The center smaller button comes out first. Then you can remove the rest of the clip. It's pretty self explanatory once you get the first one out. Swing by an auto parts store and pick up a clip remover. Very handy to have around. Example picture below....

It's funny, I am accustomed to the plugs you describe, and I was checking them out this morning and I swear I could not see where there was an inner plug that you pull to release the pressure....It was early before my wife went to work and I was using the light in the garage, so I will check more closely later.

Didn't know they made a tool for this...could have saved me LOADS of swear words over the years !!

thanks very much.

Jeff

Old 08-09-2013, 05:07 PM
minibluez
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Z06_Pilot
Hi folks,

I am going to install the VIP engineering front strut braces and bar, but I have a question. our 2013 CMJCW has a hood seal around each side of the engine. In order to install the bar, I have to either cut into that border on each side or simply take it off.

I would rather just take it off, and it's held in place by those black "button" type of push-in plugs(there are a LOT of these under the hood holding plastic pieces to the frame).

Does anyone know how these come off? I was going to just pry them off with a screwdriver slipped under the lip of each "button", but don't want to break them in case I ever want to put the border back on.

Thanks!

Jeff
I'm sure you can't wait! I didn't know there was a front brace kit. Thought it was just the front bar. I can't see it on their site so I'm sure I'm blind or missing something. Can you share a link please?

Old 08-09-2013, 05:59 PM
Z06_Pilot
5th Gear
Originally Posted by minibluez
I'm sure you can't wait! I didn't know there was a front brace kit. Thought it was just the front bar. I can't see it on their site so I'm sure I'm blind or missing something. Can you share a link please?
Maybe my bad with terminology. they call it "strut bar and tower plates"...I always called the whole package a strut brace since it is a bar bracing between plates mounted on the struts, but maybe that is something else???? Anyway, here you go...

http://www.vipcustomparts.com/JCW%20...an%20parts.htm

Old 08-09-2013, 06:01 PM
Z06_Pilot
5th Gear
Just to let you know, cutting was definintely the way to go...i got a very sharp linoleum cutting knife and just notched a couple of U shaped cuts on each side...actually looks pretty stock!

took all of 15 minutes to install...

Old 08-10-2013, 11:52 PM
minibluez
2nd Gear

Maybe my bad with terminology. they call it "strut bar and tower plates"...I always called the whole package a strut brace since it is a bar bracing between plates mounted on the struts, but maybe that is something else???? Anyway, here you go...

http://www.vipcustomparts.com/JCW%20...an%20parts.htm
Ah ok, got it. It's on my list for sure. Hope you like yours!

Old 08-11-2013, 03:43 AM
Camthewookie
3rd Gear
Really interested to hear some feedback on how the car feels after this and the rear sway bar, but on otherwise factory suspension. I am thinking about something to try to reduce body roll on my JCW without changing springs and struts. The car actually handles phenomenally well but I wouldn't mind a little less roll under initial turn-in.

Old 08-11-2013, 08:28 AM
Z06_Pilot
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Camthewookie
Really interested to hear some feedback on how the car feels after this and the rear sway bar, but on otherwise factory suspension. I am thinking about something to try to reduce body roll on my JCW without changing springs and struts. The car actually handles phenomenally well but I wouldn't mind a little less roll under initial turn-in.
Hi Cam,

well you will get your wish with this. I truly didn't think it would make a whole lot of difference, even though people here and elsewhere said it would. After all, it's just a strut bar, not a "direct" suspension upgrade like an anti-sway bar or springs. WOW, what a difference, for street driving anyway. I immediately ran some of the twisty roads I know so well, I actually almost turned in TOO much on several initial corners.

I was accustomed to having to put some real effort into the initial turn-in of the wheel, especially at speed as the front end was trying to wash out. Now, the front just rolls in where I point it immediately, with no barking at all. It really is stunning.

Like others have said, it makes the rear end feel a tad sloppy as result with the OEM ASB.

I will be getting my 22mm rear ASB put on in the next week or so, and am hoping for more improvements.

Without a doubt, the best $200 you can spend on handling improvement and so freakin' easy to install. The VIP parts fit absolutely perfectly.

Old 08-11-2013, 09:17 AM
Braminator
OVERDRIVE
Just to let you know, cutting was definintely the way to go...i got a very sharp linoleum cutting knife and just notched a couple of U shaped cuts on each side...actually looks pretty stock!

took all of 15 minutes to install...
Pic?

Old 08-11-2013, 09:24 AM
Camthewookie
3rd Gear
Hi Cam,

I was accustomed to having to put some real effort into the initial turn-in of the wheel, especially at speed as the front end was trying to wash out. Now, the front just rolls in where I point it immediately, with no barking at all. It really is stunning.
This is exactly the feeling I want to improve. Upgrades like this always make me wonder, though: Why isn't it this way from the factory? The incremental cost to add a strut tower brace has to be pretty minimal. Are there major trade-offs? Is the improvement in handling only in the "feel" or could it be quantified on the track?

Ultimately, I'm a gearhead, so if it improves the feeling of the car it's probably worth it whether the handing improvement is quantifiable.

I'm looking forward to an update after you get that rear sway bar installed.

Old 08-11-2013, 12:33 PM
Z06_Pilot
5th Gear
here are a couple of awful camera pix, but it's what I had at hand!

Certainly nothing fancy.

As far as track quantifiable. I assume it must be since a lot of the high end track and supercars have them(Ford GT, Viper, ZR1, etc), but certainly I don't know that it would add much increased stability in track conditions without other upgrades in place as well, you know?

I will certainly post my feelings about the 22mm rear ASB once I get it installed.

Jeff

Attached Thumbnails Question before installed front strut brace bar-strut-bar.jpg   Question before installed front strut brace bar-strut-bar-2.jpg  
Old 08-11-2013, 12:41 PM
Braminator
OVERDRIVE
Looks great. Good luck. Now go motor on!

Old 08-21-2013, 02:19 PM
Eds not-so-red MINI
5th Gear
Hi Cam,

well you will get your wish with this. I truly didn't think it would make a whole lot of difference, even though people here and elsewhere said it would. After all, it's just a strut bar, not a "direct" suspension upgrade like an anti-sway bar or springs. WOW, what a difference, for street driving anyway. I immediately ran some of the twisty roads I know so well, I actually almost turned in TOO much on several initial corners.

Like others have said, it makes the rear end feel a tad sloppy as result with the OEM ASB.

I will be getting my 22mm rear ASB put on in the next week or so, and am hoping for more improvements.

Without a doubt, the best $200 you can spend on handling improvement and so freakin' easy to install. The VIP parts fit absolutely perfectly.
VIP oughtta be sending you a commission. I just ordered me a strut bar for the Paceman.

Old 08-21-2013, 05:33 PM
Braminator
OVERDRIVE
IMO This is a part needs to not be looked at as a dress up item. It does make a difference IMO. Maybe not so much to some in handling but it make a structural difference again IMO. Some of my creaks and rattles went away after installing one. Just saying.

Old 08-21-2013, 05:35 PM
Z06_Pilot
5th Gear
IMO This is a part needs to not be looked at as a dress up item. It does make a difference IMO. Maybe not so much to some in handling but it make a structural difference again IMO. Some of my creaks and rattles went away after installing one. Just saying.
Well, let me tell you. Assuming someone is going to order a bar as a "dress up item", the VIP is NOT the one you want. It's probably the most unassuming strut bar I have ever seen....every simple round bar....nothing fancy...

Old 08-21-2013, 05:37 PM
Braminator
OVERDRIVE
Well, let me tell you. Assuming someone is going to order a bar as a "dress up item", the VIP is NOT the one you want. It's probably the most unassuming strut bar I have ever seen....every simple round bar....nothing fancy...
I was meaning it in a general way as there are many bars on the market. Having the right one can make the difference.