Suspension Springs, struts, coilovers, sway-bars, camber plates, and all other modifications to suspension components for Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S (R56), and Cabrio (R57) MINIs.

Suspension Megan CO Diagnosis- Do you concur?

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2013, 05:09 PM
IzzyG
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Megan CO Diagnosis- Do you concur?

Just installed the rears(didn't have enough time for fronts) and a 22mm H sport RSB and adjustable control arms. Time was tight at the end of the day so wanting to make sure I could at least drive home, I buttoned it all up without going for a test drive. The CO is about 2 inches shorter than OEM length but I'm unsure if it'll give equivalent drop. It was just a starting point. Anyways, on the drive home, I hear a repeating sound(kinda like thump thump thump). Frequency increases with speed and definitely worsens on left turns(kinda goes away on right turns) The sound also seems to be coming from right side. I left camber as neutral as possible since I'm sure I had to adjust once springs settled(the CO is a used set with 20-30k miles) but looks in good shape.

So I'm thinking the tire is rubbing against something. But I'm unsure why it would only be the right side. I did notice that the left side had more positive camber(was planning to adjust when I got home) so maybe it's rubbing on top side? Any thoughts? Do you concur based on the few obscure symptoms that I noted? I won't be able to take it apart till Friday but wanted to see if I'm way off.(or if there something about the Megans I haven't heard of)

Old 01-31-2013, 11:25 PM
MNIPWR
5th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I have Megan coilovers. The right spring might have less tension on it so the balance is off. Try tightening it and making sure both are the same length.

Old 02-01-2013, 04:11 PM
IzzyG
6th Gear
Originally Posted by MNIPWR
I have Megan coilovers. The right spring might have less tension on it so the balance is off. Try tightening it and making sure both are the same length.
I figured it was because some lining was loose and rubbing on the wheels. Got that solved. However, now I'm chasing down some coil binding. It seems to be coming from front left so I took it apart, cleaned thoroughly and greased. A whole day of blissful creak-less peace. However, I jacked up the other side(passenger) to run some lines under the vehicle and now the coil binding creaks are back. ARGH. What is going on?!?!

I jacked up the drivers side back again thinking it could have been over compressed and wanted to reset it but it's still there. I'm unsure which side it's coming from but I'm thinking driver's side still. Maybe the passenger side has to settle?

Old 02-02-2013, 03:12 AM
MNIPWR
5th Gear
Was it a popping sound? If so you need to grease the bushing where the rod goes through the camber plate.

Old 02-02-2013, 04:08 AM
IzzyG
6th Gear
Originally Posted by MNIPWR
Was it a popping sound? If so you need to grease the bushing where the rod goes through the camber plate.
It's not a popping sound. It sounds just like coil binding. Very obvious at low speeds while I'm turning the wheel. ;(

Old 02-02-2013, 10:52 AM
MNIPWR
5th Gear
Head its the shaft of the strut binding. You need to take that bushing apart and grease it. You are supposed to do this before you install them. Megan has a sheet on there website showing where to grease.