Suspension Springs, struts, coilovers, sway-bars, camber plates, and all other modifications to suspension components for Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S (R56), and Cabrio (R57) MINIs.

Suspension ST Coilovers installed, some thoughts and pictures

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2012, 12:55 PM
MINI Kapone
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by simplybao
That's me Been out that road. I've been out on many of the roads around here. So you still in Tulsa? Whatcha doing now? You have a MINI now?
I knew it! It's not the most common name in Fay.

Yeaaah man!! Lovin my MINI. Had it bout a year now. I had been looking for one since 2009. Had to move back to Tulsa after the new ownership shut down my store. It sucked shutting the store down, but it is what it is. I'm selling homes now. Been doing that like 6 months or so.

How's Fay treating you? How long have you had the MINI?

Old 01-24-2012, 01:55 PM
simplybao
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by MINI Kapone
I knew it! It's not the most common name in Fay.

How's Fay treating you? How long have you had the MINI?
Still awesome here. Miss your store though! I've had the MINI since July and I LOVE it. I don't get to drive it much because I'm on the road all the time for work, but I drive it every chance I get when I'm home.

Old 01-24-2012, 05:08 PM
Digitys
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Can't wait for these to come in. Hope they do before the weekend...

Old 01-24-2012, 05:29 PM
simplybao
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Digitys
Can't wait for these to come in. Hope they do before the weekend...
You're going to love them! After a few months on mine, I still can't believe how well they ride.

Old 01-24-2012, 07:54 PM
MINI Kapone
2nd Gear
Still awesome here. Miss your store though! I've had the MINI since July and I LOVE it. I don't get to drive it much because I'm on the road all the time for work, but I drive it every chance I get when I'm home.
That's awesome. I miss it there, and I miss my store being there. Fayetteville is a great place to be...

Old 01-24-2012, 08:08 PM
MINIGEZR
3rd Gear
It's been 10 days with mine installed and definitely impressed, great overall!

Old 01-24-2012, 09:19 PM
dannyhavok
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Sounds like everyone is really enjoying them so far! I'm counting down until the Spring! I'm wondering what height to set them at (or rather, to have the mechanic set them at.) to get the drop around 1-1.5", as low as I can go without scraping speed bumps. I'm prepared to cut the bottom of the plastic trim piece at the front.

Would about the halfway mark do it? Just past?

Old 01-27-2012, 11:45 AM
Digitys
3rd Gear
Shoot, I forgot about spacers. Will I need to run spacers with 205 45 17 tires? My summer set is 215 45 17 tires....

The only other mods on the car are 22 mm alta RSB and end links front and rear

Old 01-27-2012, 12:48 PM
simplybao
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Digitys
Shoot, I forgot about spacers. Will I need to run spacers with 205 45 17 tires? My summer set is 215 45 17 tires....

The only other mods on the car are 22 mm alta RSB and end links front and rear
It's going to depend on the offset of your wheels and how low you want to go. For me, I don't think needed spacers, but it was for peace of mind. I'm at full ride height up front and I'm running 215/45 with the factory wheels.

Old 02-01-2012, 09:13 AM
Digitys
3rd Gear
I ended up ordering 5mm spacers for the front, should be fine! The coilovers arrived and are killing me! I can't wait to get them installed on Friday!

Old 02-01-2012, 09:18 AM
MINIGEZR
3rd Gear
Did some height adjustments on my car yesterday. Currently from the ground to the center of the wheel arch trim I'm at 24 1/2 inches. Rear coils have 8-9 threads showing from the bottom.

Old 02-03-2012, 12:02 PM
localbrew
1st Gear
Is anyone getting any noise when your car sits over night or for more than 8 hrs then then you reverse and get sort of a spring settling noise? Scenario: I park the car in the garage, in the morning when I go in reverse out of the garage then drive forward there seems to be settling noises like the spring moving into place. I have removed the wheel and made sure all bolts are are torqued to the correct specs and I have new tower strut hats, aka the rubber top piece with the 3 bolts on top. It goes away when I stop and start, again it only happens when the car has sat for more than 8 + hours. Thoughts?

Old 02-03-2012, 12:04 PM
localbrew
1st Gear
Originally Posted by MINIGEZR
Did some height adjustments on my car yesterday. Currently from the ground to the center of the wheel arch trim I'm at 24 1/2 inches. Rear coils have 8-9 threads showing from the bottom.
so you did raise it up a bit then? Post some new pics when you can.

Old 02-03-2012, 03:07 PM
TheSuspensionSource
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by localbrew
Is anyone getting any noise when your car sits over night or for more than 8 hrs then then you reverse and get sort of a spring settling noise? Scenario: I park the car in the garage, in the morning when I go in reverse out of the garage then drive forward there seems to be settling noises like the spring moving into place. I have removed the wheel and made sure all bolts are are torqued to the correct specs and I have new tower strut hats, aka the rubber top piece with the 3 bolts on top. It goes away when I stop and start, again it only happens when the car has sat for more than 8 + hours. Thoughts?

Nothing has been reported to me atleast on this noise.

Old 02-03-2012, 03:13 PM
drewstermalloy
6th Gear
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Mine are for sale in the marketplace.

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ilovers&cat=28

Old 02-03-2012, 03:18 PM
TheSuspensionSource
Former Vendor
Why did you take em off Drew?

Old 02-03-2012, 10:01 PM
Digitys
3rd Gear
Installed mine today, the ride is great. Fronts are at 21 threads from the bottom. Rear is at 4. Sits very well at that height. We bent the lower drivers side control arm in the process though :(.

The ride is very nice though. I'll post pics when I get home tomorrow with the DSLR.

Old 02-03-2012, 11:02 PM
dannyhavok
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by TheSuspensionSource
Why did you take em off Drew?
Looks like his car is for sale

Old 02-04-2012, 03:10 AM
drewstermalloy
6th Gear
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by dannyhavok
Looks like his car is for sale
This.

Old 02-06-2012, 09:30 AM
oreo_guy
1st Gear
Question to the OP:

1. I'm thinking of upgrading my current suspension ('12) to a JCW or other (H&R,Eibach coil over kit), but I noticed you are upgrading already from a JCW kit. Why?

2. Do you have issues, due to the lowering, with having your car go through a car wash tunnel?

Thanks!

Old 02-06-2012, 09:45 AM
Creeve
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by oreo_guy
Question to the OP:

1. I'm thinking of upgrading my current suspension ('12) to a JCW or other (H&R,Eibach coil over kit), but I noticed you are upgrading already from a JCW kit. Why?

2. Do you have issues, due to the lowering, with having your car go through a car wash tunnel?

Thanks!
I know I can't make it into a car wash, but I have my coilovers set lower then most people.

Old 02-06-2012, 11:09 AM
oreo_guy
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Creeve
I know I can't make it into a car wash, but I have my coilovers set lower then most people.
Thanks!!!

I have a KW3 on another car, and I was really impressed with it. It's night and day difference between stock.

I'm not interested in the kit for cosmetics, but rather for great handling. The fact that I'm able to adjust a coilover is probably best, for me, since I don't want it lowered so much to be worrying about bottoming-out entering ramps, striking speed bumps, or entering car wash tunnels.

Comparison data (price):
1. JCW (kit plus F/R springs) vs. H&R RSS -- $1400.16 vs. $1,242.00.

If I add H&R sways or the Eibach Kit:
H&R Sways: $1,242 + $389 = $1631.
Eibach Sway Kit: $1,242 + $251 = $1493.

For the minor difference in price, including the sway bars by Eibach, it's a no brainer, in my opinion. I've not heard too much about the JCW suspension, so I can't comment on that, and which is why I wanted to know from the OP why he decided to upgrade.

Old 02-06-2012, 12:36 PM
simplybao
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by oreo_guy
Question to the OP:

Thanks!
I don't have a JCW. I just have the JCW package -- i.e. the body kit, wheels, and some interior trim bits.

I don't have issues going through a car wash because I would never do such a thing. The only type I've ever driven through are the spray and wash kind and it's me that's doing the spraying. Usually, my car is handwashed. I use the spray type wash maybe 3 or 4 times a year when it's too cold to hand wash. I'll hand wash in 40 degree weather, LOL.

Mine isn't lowered a whole lot either. I have a very mild drop on mine. The only reason I went with the ST coilovers was because the springs and struts were matched versus going a mix and match setup. AND, the cost for this setup came out to be about the same as say NM springs and Koni or NM and Bilstein.

I'll probably never adjust them down any further. Right now, it's low enough to look good, but high enough that I don't have to worry too much about speed bumps.

Old 02-06-2012, 05:33 PM
oreo_guy
1st Gear
I don't have a JCW. I just have the JCW package -- i.e. the body kit, wheels, and some interior trim bits.

I don't have issues going through a car wash because I would never do such a thing. The only type I've ever driven through are the spray and wash kind and it's me that's doing the spraying. Usually, my car is handwashed. I use the spray type wash maybe 3 or 4 times a year when it's too cold to hand wash. I'll hand wash in 40 degree weather, LOL.

Mine isn't lowered a whole lot either. I have a very mild drop on mine. The only reason I went with the ST coilovers was because the springs and struts were matched versus going a mix and match setup. AND, the cost for this setup came out to be about the same as say NM springs and Koni or NM and Bilstein.

I'll probably never adjust them down any further. Right now, it's low enough to look good, but high enough that I don't have to worry too much about speed bumps.
Thanks for the reply!

That's the information I was hoping to get.

The ST setup looks great on your car, and the height is what I'm aiming for as well.

Old 02-14-2012, 12:50 PM
MINIGEZR
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by localbrew
Hey localbrew, funny thing I was just going to post when I saw your post. I have the exact same thing-knocking/clunk sound happening on mine when the car sits. Happens in forward or reverse just once and then its fine. I feel its coming from my front drivers side and I'm not happy! Strange thing is it just started doing this after about 1 month with no issues.

To Kris @ suspension source, any thoughts??

Quick Reply: Suspension ST Coilovers installed, some thoughts and pictures