Suspension Springs, struts, coilovers, sway-bars, camber plates, and all other modifications to suspension components for Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S (R56), and Cabrio (R57) MINIs.

Suspension ST Coilovers installed, some thoughts and pictures

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2011, 04:49 AM
simplybao
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bluefox280
Bao, you didn't happen to measure the free length of the front coil springs, did you?

- Erik
No I didn't do any measuring. I just installed

Old 08-22-2011, 12:33 PM
Cawtou
2nd Gear
Suspension source is awesome for hooking it up on some STs. just got some for my mcs and installed yesterday. no spacers on mine :] for now. I got about a 1.7 finger gap in the front and 1 in the back. But definitely need spacers for front if going lower.

Old 08-22-2011, 01:14 PM
TheSuspensionSource
Former Vendor
Thanks. Glad you were happy with your purchase.

Old 08-22-2011, 01:41 PM
simplybao
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Cawtou
Suspension source is awesome for hooking it up on some STs. just got some for my mcs and installed yesterday. no spacers on mine :] for now. I got about a 1.7 finger gap in the front and 1 in the back. But definitely need spacers for front if going lower.
AWESOME! You have pics? You have about the same ride height as me. I'm running 215/45/17 though so maybe that's why I needed the spacers

Old 08-27-2011, 10:00 PM
praecurvo
3rd Gear
My $.02...
The most important reason to get coil overs is for the corner balancing capabilities. Otherwise, you have introduced a DETRIMENTAL handeling aspect to your car. Picture this; if you are driving with a loved one in your car and there is an improper balance of weight and an evasive maneuver has to be done at highway speeds, there is not telling how your car will react. Do not be silly and say that you do not drive your car hard enough on streets to necessitate a corner balancing, foolish. Otherwise, get springs only and the the spring manufacturer figure that out for you.
What you did is decide to play with the BIG TOYS and get a set of coil-overs. Awesome! Now get responsible with your new toys and get them corner-balances.
Have you ever tried driving at speed with a spare tire or a under inflated tire and had to make a sudden change in direction only to discover that your weight is severely skewed? Please, get your coil-overs corner-balanced. It really shouldn't cost more than $200 or so. Otherwise, you seem handy enough. Find/rent some scales and do it yourself.
Rant over,
Aaron

Old 09-02-2011, 05:54 PM
drewstermalloy
6th Gear
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Those underbody panels were originally part of the factory aero kit. I used to have the part numbers, but I can't find them anywhere. If you call the dealer and ask for everything, including the brackets that are required for installation, the two panels along with all the hardware should cost you around $130.

My ST coilovers should be here next week, and I'll have them in by the 17th (out of town next weekend). Can't wait!

Old 09-12-2011, 02:49 PM
andyroo
6th Gear
Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by praecurvo
My $.02...
The most important reason to get coil overs is for the corner balancing capabilities. Otherwise, you have introduced a DETRIMENTAL handeling aspect to your car. Picture this; if you are driving with a loved one in your car and there is an improper balance of weight and an evasive maneuver has to be done at highway speeds, there is not telling how your car will react. Do not be silly and say that you do not drive your car hard enough on streets to necessitate a corner balancing, foolish. Otherwise, get springs only and the the spring manufacturer figure that out for you.
What you did is decide to play with the BIG TOYS and get a set of coil-overs. Awesome! Now get responsible with your new toys and get them corner-balances.
Have you ever tried driving at speed with a spare tire or a under inflated tire and had to make a sudden change in direction only to discover that your weight is severely skewed? Please, get your coil-overs corner-balanced. It really shouldn't cost more than $200 or so. Otherwise, you seem handy enough. Find/rent some scales and do it yourself.
Rant over,
Aaron
While I agree that corner balancing is worthwhile, it is not the end of the world if the car is not corner balanced. Your example of having a loved one in the car would actually throw off any corner balancing that was performed.

The OEM suspension is almost certainly not corner balanced, and any aftermarket spring set-up will not be corner balanced either.

Coilovers may have been developed primarily for corner balancing, but at this point that is just one of many advantages that they offer over a fixed perch solution.

What I'd like to know is the spring rate of these coilovers.

- Andrew

Old 09-12-2011, 03:08 PM
TheSuspensionSource
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by andyroo
While I agree that corner balancing is worthwhile, it is not the end of the world if the car is not corner balanced. Your example of having a loved one in the car would actually throw off any corner balancing that was performed.

The OEM suspension is almost certainly not corner balanced, and any aftermarket spring set-up will not be corner balanced either.

Coilovers may have been developed primarily for corner balancing, but at this point that is just one of many advantages that they offer over a fixed perch solution.

What I'd like to know is the spring rate of these coilovers.

- Andrew
ST is Progressive front and 230lb/inch rear

Old 09-12-2011, 03:52 PM
praecurvo
3rd Gear
andyroo:

The factory setup is tuned for mild understeer, almost the same in every factory car; and most aftermarket tuners do take the time to tune the springs to the car. True about the loved on in the car, but nobody will be in danger with such a slight weight difference. Most coil-over purchasers tune the set-up for looks which can contribute to a highly imbalanced car!
Have you seen the drop's on cars these days?
I don't know about you, but living in New York city, Los Angeles, and Miami, I've been blessed with the privileged to live and drive with some of the worst drivers in America, and seen some of the most nonsensical actions in cars you could imagine! With drivers like that out there dropping their cars to who knows what and hot-shottin' it at freeway+ speeds, most of them hardly need an off-balanced suspension to hurl them into your' or my families' car. The problem with the non-corner-balanced c/o suspension is that it gives them even more false confidence to be even less intelligent and go even faster and kill more innocent people.
aaron

Old 09-12-2011, 04:23 PM
drewstermalloy
6th Gear
Just got mine on Friday. If all goes well, I'll be installing them on Saturday

Name:  IMG_4077.jpg
Views: 1018
Size:  120.6 KB

Old 09-12-2011, 04:41 PM
TheSuspensionSource
Former Vendor
Sweeeeeeet

Old 09-12-2011, 04:44 PM
praecurvo
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by drewstermalloy
Just got mine on Friday. If all goes well, I'll be installing them on Saturday

Are these the ST's?

Old 09-12-2011, 04:51 PM
TheSuspensionSource
Former Vendor
Yes they are

Old 09-12-2011, 04:59 PM
Cawtou
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by simplybao
AWESOME! You have pics? You have about the same ride height as me. I'm running 215/45/17 though so maybe that's why I needed the spacers
I should take some pics. My ride height is a bit lower than yours so I needed spacers as well. I got 205/45/17 and didnt need spacers at your height. I'm about 1 finger gap all around. The lowest point is the front splash guard on the stock S bumper which is 2inches off the ground. I gotta angle or else it scrapes. Besides that the quality and handling are much better. Just need to get alignment and stuff.

Old 09-12-2011, 05:00 PM
TheSuspensionSource
Former Vendor
Which spacers did you use and what height are you at Cawtou???

Old 09-12-2011, 05:04 PM
Cawtou
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by TheSuspensionSource
Which spacers did you use and what height are you at Cawtou???
I used the H&R 5mm spacers for the front. I havent really measured it yet but heres a picture to give u an idea of the splashguard clearance.

Old 09-12-2011, 05:10 PM
dannyhavok
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I've got 205/50/16 on Konig Rush wheels. How do I know if I'll need spacers? I don't plan on slamming it super low if I get these, just lowering like an inch or so.

Old 09-12-2011, 05:35 PM
drewstermalloy
6th Gear
Are these the ST's?
Yep & a 22mm RSB

Thanks SuspensionSource!

Old 09-12-2011, 06:18 PM
simplybao
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Cawtou
I used the H&R 5mm spacers for the front. I havent really measured it yet but heres a picture to give u an idea of the splashguard clearance.
WOW, that's low. I cut that piece off of mine. It was easy, just a razor blade and a nice steady hand and it's gone. I was scraping at my height. I have 5.5" from the lowest part on the front bumper to the ground. At that height, I have zero scraping.

Originally Posted by dannyhavok
I've got 205/50/16 on Konig Rush wheels. How do I know if I'll need spacers? I don't plan on slamming it super low if I get these, just lowering like an inch or so.
What is the offset on your wheels? I have H&R 5mm spacers on mine. I'm running a 215/45/17 on factory wheels. My wheels are 48 mm. Take away 5mm for the spacers and I end up with 43mm. I have about a finger's worth of clearance between the tire/wheel and the spring perch. My spring perch is at full ride height. If I were to go lower, I think I'd need another 8mm to feel comfortable.

andyroo:

The factory setup is tuned for mild understeer, almost the same in every factory car; and most aftermarket tuners do take the time to tune the springs to the car. True about the loved on in the car, but nobody will be in danger with such a slight weight difference. Most coil-over purchasers tune the set-up for looks which can contribute to a highly imbalanced car!
Have you seen the drop's on cars these days?
I don't know about you, but living in New York city, Los Angeles, and Miami, I've been blessed with the privileged to live and drive with some of the worst drivers in America, and seen some of the most nonsensical actions in cars you could imagine! With drivers like that out there dropping their cars to who knows what and hot-shottin' it at freeway+ speeds, most of them hardly need an off-balanced suspension to hurl them into your' or my families' car. The problem with the non-corner-balanced c/o suspension is that it gives them even more false confidence to be even less intelligent and go even faster and kill more innocent people.
aaron
I'm with you on this. My coilovers are all for looks. I'm sure that it doesn't handle as well as I think it does, but it's fun driving quickly. I've had cars lowered on just springs and coilovers before and I've never felt like I was in danger because the setup was waaaaaaaaaay out of balance.

Old 09-18-2011, 03:53 PM
dannyhavok
6th Gear
I'm not sure what the offset on these wheels is, I'll have to try to track it down. If I end up ordering the ST's i'll just get spacers to be on the safe side.

Does anyone else have these installed? I'd love to hear as much feedback as possible, especially regarding handling improvement. Obviously the drop looks awesome

Old 09-20-2011, 12:03 PM
Cawtou
2nd Gear
Here are better pictures. Back is maxed out to bottom thread, front is 2 cm from bottom. It could probably go lower but then the splash guard needs removing and it would be pointless cause I wouldnt be able to get out of my driveway.

Keep in mind that I lowered this today just to see what it looks like (front is way to low for my daily driving preference). Gonna raise it up to normal :]

Old 09-20-2011, 12:20 PM
drewstermalloy
6th Gear
I just installed these over the weekend. I've never done suspension before, but the install was a breeze. Mine is about as low as cawtou's, maybe a tiny bit higher. I love it! With my m7 lip, the front of the car is 3" off the ground. I'll get pics up later this week.

Old 09-20-2011, 01:08 PM
TheSuspensionSource
Former Vendor
Nice!!!!!!!!

Old 09-20-2011, 04:39 PM
drewstermalloy
6th Gear
low&slow

Name:  IMG_01292.jpg
Views: 981
Size:  61.6 KB

Sorry for the crappy cell phone pic, I'll get some better ones up once I have more time. Just wanted to show how low they are... still 11 threads up.

Old 09-20-2011, 06:43 PM
dannyhavok
6th Gear
Nice stance Cawtou, looks sick!

Quick Reply: Suspension ST Coilovers installed, some thoughts and pictures