Suspension Springs, struts, coilovers, sway-bars, camber plates, and all other modifications to suspension components for Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S (R56), and Cabrio (R57) MINIs.

Suspension ST Coilovers installed, some thoughts and pictures

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2011, 08:02 AM
andyroo
6th Gear
Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts
It's often more helpful to measure from the center of the wheel to the lip of the fender.....that is more easily comparable across different size wheels/tires/bodykits/bumpers/etc.

EDIT: oops, saw teamrodney was asking for that already. i can read.

- drew

Old 12-14-2011, 08:33 AM
simplybao
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by andyroo
It's often more helpful to measure from the center of the wheel to the lip of the fender.....that is more easily comparable across different size wheels/tires/bodykits/bumpers/etc.

EDIT: oops, saw teamrodney was asking for that already. i can read.

- drew
Yep you're right. but he has the same wheels and the JCW body kit like I do, so for him, my measurement works

Old 12-22-2011, 10:03 AM
niquemarshall
4th Gear
Sorry for the resurrection, but how do these ride/feel? Is the damping adjustable? Im looking at these, but i also dont wanna have a super stiff setup that gives me headaches

Old 12-22-2011, 11:39 AM
simplybao
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by niquemarshall
Sorry for the resurrection, but how do these ride/feel? Is the damping adjustable? Im looking at these, but i also dont wanna have a super stiff setup that gives me headaches

I think they ride great! In fact, I think the ride is better than stock. There's an on ramp near me that has an expansion joint on the corner. With the factory setup, going over this joint made the MINI "skip". With the ST's, it just goes over it smoothly.

I do think the ride is a little more stiff, but not much. It's hardly perceptible. I'll add a caveat. I'm running 215/45/17 Conti DWS -- non runflat.

The dampening is non-adjustable.

Old 12-22-2011, 12:34 PM
Mindspin311
5th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Yea, RFs make expansion joints and similar obstacles an experience.

Within 20min of owning my car I traveled over an expansion joint doing about 80 on the highway while in a left hand turn.

Scared the crap out of me, I though the car shifted over like 2 ft.

Last edited by Mindspin311; 12-27-2011 at 08:41 AM.
Old 12-27-2011, 08:09 AM
TheSuspensionSource
Former Vendor
Right now the ST's are $75 off til the 31st.

Old 12-27-2011, 08:41 AM
Mindspin311
5th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Any idea how these ride compared to something like the TSW spec'd KWv2 coilovers that WMW sells?

Old 12-27-2011, 10:00 AM
TheSuspensionSource
Former Vendor
KW V2s are different than the STs. The STs are like the V1's. If I remember correctly the TSW V2s have a different spring rate.

Old 01-03-2012, 08:21 PM
MINIGEZR
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Kris, my ST's arrived today. can't wait to install them! Thanks for everything and being so knowledgable. Paul

Old 01-04-2012, 08:17 AM
TheSuspensionSource
Former Vendor
Awesome!?!!?

Old 01-06-2012, 07:33 PM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor
Received 757 Likes on 618 Posts
Originally Posted by Mindspin311
Any idea how these ride compared to something like the TSW spec'd KWv2 coilovers that WMW sells?
This is totally two different setups. The STs and the KW V1's have progressive rate springs. So the ride between the two is totally different. Neither ride bad. But the reason we do the custom setup is because we made it better. The linear setup we use has a nice ride, but more predictable and WAY more performance.

HOTCHKIS | DDM | CRAVEN | AKRAPOVIC | NM ENGINEERING | MEGAN | FORGE | IE | OS GIKEN | POWERFLEX and more
Old 01-12-2012, 06:50 PM
dannyhavok
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
To those of you who have these installed: Are you guys running adjustable lower control arms? Wondering if I need to add them to the list of parts I need for the spring.

Old 01-12-2012, 07:29 PM
simplybao
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by dannyhavok
To those of you who have these installed: Are you guys running adjustable lower control arms? Wondering if I need to add them to the list of parts I need for the spring.
I'm running Hsport rear arms that I got from way motor works. It will depend on how low you want to go. The lower you go, the more you'll need the arms in order to get the rear camber back into spec.

Old 01-12-2012, 07:45 PM
dannyhavok
6th Gear
Hmm, thanks. Any idea how low I can go before they're necessary? Slightly increased tire wear isn't a big concern, but if it becomes detrimental to handling, I'll get them.

Old 01-13-2012, 06:19 AM
simplybao
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by dannyhavok
Hmm, thanks. Any idea how low I can go before they're necessary? Slightly increased tire wear isn't a big concern, but if it becomes detrimental to handling, I'll get them.
I don't know the exact answer to that. based on reading other threads. There are some with the NM springs that say they need them. The NM's lower the car 1.2". Others say they don't need them. So, I don't know what the answer is. I got them because I didn't want to do the install and then have to go back and install anything else.

Old 01-13-2012, 08:05 AM
dannyhavok
6th Gear
Thanks! That makes sense to me, I think I'll add them to the parts list. Since I'm having them installed professionally, it seems prudent to have everything I might need ready while the car is on the lift and the wheels are off.

Old 01-17-2012, 11:48 AM
MINIGEZR
3rd Gear
Just had some ST Coilovers installed this weekend. Car looks awesome, will try to post pictures, having difficulty uploading. I need to get the alignment done but those of you that have these coilovers how are you measuring your height set-up. By the threads, cm's or wheel arch height. I drove the car and all four covers are now at different heights. I guess you need to play around with each corner to set them up equally once everything settles down?? Thanks

Old 01-17-2012, 01:02 PM
TheSuspensionSource
Former Vendor
Do not align it til atleast 300 miles has been put on the new suspension. The car will settle a bit once you find your setting.

Old 01-17-2012, 01:24 PM
simplybao
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by MINIGEZR
Just had some ST Coilovers installed this weekend. Car looks awesome, will try to post pictures, having difficulty uploading. I need to get the alignment done but those of you that have these coilovers how are you measuring your height set-up. By the threads, cm's or wheel arch height. I drove the car and all four covers are now at different heights. I guess you need to play around with each corner to set them up equally once everything settles down?? Thanks
Yeah, I'd wait to align it. The car will settle just a little bit.

For me, I had to do a little tweaking to get it level. Make sure that you do it on level ground. An easy way to do it is to use a plumb bob. Tape it to the top of the wheel arch and drop the bob down the center line of the wheel. Measure from the wheel arch to the center of the wheel and voila, you have your measurement.

You can make your own plumb bob. Just take a piece of string, tie on a bolt or anything that weighs a little bit and let gravity do the rest.

Old 01-17-2012, 03:50 PM
MINIGEZR
3rd Gear
Thanks Kris and simplybao. I will hold off on the alignment and I like the plumb bob. Easier than a tape measure!

Old 01-24-2012, 10:48 AM
Digitys
3rd Gear
I was going to get the Megan Coilovers but looks like I will be going with the ST's. Reports from everyone says they ride nice, that is what I want. I am daily driver with a fun ride through the mountains every now and then.

Old 01-24-2012, 11:13 AM
Tata Steva
5th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Nice info. Any more installed on Clubman? Photos?

Old 01-24-2012, 11:56 AM
TheSuspensionSource
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by Digitys
I was going to get the Megan Coilovers but looks like I will be going with the ST's. Reports from everyone says they ride nice, that is what I want. I am daily driver with a fun ride through the mountains every now and then.

You will be very pleased with these. They are like the KW V1s

Old 01-24-2012, 12:07 PM
MINI Kapone
2nd Gear
Hmmmm.... Odd.... I knew a guy named Bao from Fayetteville. He bought a **** ton of modern furniture from me back in the day.... I love Fay, lived there 6+ years. Probably the most underrated college town in America.

Bao, if you haven't yet, you should take 62 out of Farmington to Tahlequah. It is my favorite road between Tulsa and Fay. Then while in Tahlequah grab some Sam and Ella's pizza, then drive back. Such a fun road. My MINI eats it up!!!

Old 01-24-2012, 12:36 PM
simplybao
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by MINI Kapone
Hmmmm.... Odd.... I knew a guy named Bao from Fayetteville. He bought a **** ton of modern furniture from me back in the day.... I love Fay, lived there 6+ years. Probably the most underrated college town in America.

Bao, if you haven't yet, you should take 62 out of Farmington to Tahlequah. It is my favorite road between Tulsa and Fay. Then while in Tahlequah grab some Sam and Ella's pizza, then drive back. Such a fun road. My MINI eats it up!!!
That's me Been out that road. I've been out on many of the roads around here. So you still in Tulsa? Whatcha doing now? You have a MINI now?

Quick Reply: Suspension ST Coilovers installed, some thoughts and pictures