Suspension Springs, struts, coilovers, sway-bars, camber plates, and all other modifications to suspension components for Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S (R56), and Cabrio (R57) MINIs.

Suspension Comfy suspension suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2011, 08:36 AM
peeti
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Comfy suspension suggestions?

Hi all, I have a JCW vert that went into the shop last week. In its place we got a Justa loaner. That suspension seems more compliant and easy going, though I know I'm giving up something in return for the comfy.

That having been said, I also am aware that a properly tuned and installed aftermarket suspension can address two points -comfort and handling improvements.

That having been said, what is the best route to soften up the normal drive yet keep a sporty suspension? I know these are usually diametrically opposed concepts, but I also know it's possible - I did just that on my Triumph motorbike when I installed a full Ohlins suspension.

Cheers!

Old 03-14-2011, 10:36 AM
MP1.6T
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Challenge, but...

let me ask the first obvious question. Are you still running factory run flats on the 17's (assuming you have the normal "big" gen 2 JCW brakes)? Having 17's on my R56 S with the sports suspension option, that is the obvious first move. Put Michelin PS2's on my 2010 in lieu of the (expensive) Dunlop summer runflats it came with new. Big difference, for all of better ride, better braking and better cornering/performance. Easiest mod, since labor and hassle cost is very low, and no issues for warranty, etc. I expect most would go there before coil overs or sport springs or shocks, or even anti roll bar tweaks.

Originally Posted by peeti
Hi all, I have a JCW vert that went into the shop last week. In its place we got a Justa loaner. That suspension seems more compliant and easy going, though I know I'm giving up something in return for the comfy.

That having been said, I also am aware that a properly tuned and installed aftermarket suspension can address two points -comfort and handling improvements.

That having been said, what is the best route to soften up the normal drive yet keep a sporty suspension? I know these are usually diametrically opposed concepts, but I also know it's possible - I did just that on my Triumph motorbike when I installed a full Ohlins suspension.

Cheers!

Old 03-14-2011, 10:39 AM
mini on
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by MP1.6T
let me ask the first obvious question. Are you still running factory run flats on the 17's (assuming you have the normal "big" gen 2 JCW brakes)? Having 17's on my R56 S with the sports suspension option, that is the obvious first move. Put Michelin PS2's on my 2010 in lieu of the (expensive) Dunlop summer runflats it came with new. Big difference, for all of better ride, better braking and better cornering/performance. Easiest mod, since labor and hassle cost is very low, and no issues for warranty, etc. I expect most would go there before coil overs or sport springs or shocks, or even anti roll bar tweaks.
+1

Old 03-14-2011, 12:47 PM
andyroo
6th Gear
Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by peeti

Cheers!
Easy button: Get Ohlins! They are available for Mini.

As mentioned elsewhere, there is an improvement to be made in ditching run-flats.

- Andrew

Old 03-14-2011, 11:16 PM
smoke05S
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The stock challenge wheels are really heavy (23.1 lbs each) and bounce around. The change you felt is largely due to the lighter wheels since the justa also has run flats. I changed over to Konig Feathers (16.8 lbs lbs each) and still have Continental run flats and the ride is much smoother. The suspension is more composed because of reduced un-sprung weight, which is the most effective weight reduction you can make. Lighter wheels will be easier on the suspension, clutch so there is an added benifit there too. Track is a hair wider too.

Old 03-15-2011, 10:32 AM
peeti
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well, I don't have challenge wheels, I have a lighter set. Not much mind you. As for RF yes, I still have them and they're staying. Been through this discussion and I'm with you guys on the concept (this is my first RF car ever in fact) but the missus will be driving this thing in the middle of nowhere a ton and non RF are not an option. So it'll have to be done with suspension mods.

Now that being said, the loaner I had was on 16" RF. Not a huge difference, but still RF. And the suspension was much more supple. I could tell that it wouldn't handle punishment well though - hence this request. Otherwise, I'd just buy a set of stock suspension bits from a justa and call it a day