Suspension Springs, struts, coilovers, sway-bars, camber plates, and all other modifications to suspension components for Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Suspension Suspension and tire advice

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2009, 01:11 PM
Henry-8
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Suspension and tire advice

Hi all, I've read threads here on these subjects but I'm getting a little confused as there is alot of info. My 06 s has stock tires/suspension, which I think is pretty good from the factory...however my wife and son would like a more comfy ride (not as stiff) but I still want something sporty. The car is basically a weekend fun car we take little trips in and have fun, but I like to tear through our local mountains sometimes... car is not tracked or auto crossed. I was thinking of either going with General Exclaim UHPs and Koni FSDs, or BFG g-force kdws and Koni FSDs. So my question is would thes give my motoring partners a less jarring ride or should I keep the stock shox/struts and just do tires. As with most roads ours suck-lots of road cracks and pot holes, and our weather in so cal can go from 40s-100s +. Thank you for any advise.

Old 01-31-2009, 02:01 PM
Puma|Mini
3rd Gear
Hmmm... I guess if you want something more "comfortable," yet still sporty, there are few options you can go with. For starters, what wheel size do you have? Run flats? Generally, a smaller wheel with bigger sidewall non run flat tyres will give you a bit more comfortable ride. However, that sacrifices the convenience of a run flat... But, it would also give you a bit more grip if you got good sticky tyres. I have an R50 on Koni Yellows and m7 springs (which I don't recommend for comfort, but are great for handling!), and I've ridden in an R50 with Megan coils (arguably far more sporty), big rear sway bar, aftermarket 17" wheels, and super sticky tyres and it was WAAAAY more comfortable than my ride.

Ultimately, I'm afraid I'm not a huge help, but I hope that's kind of a step in the right direction. Someone will be along shortly I'm sure to help a bit more. Good luck!

Old 01-31-2009, 02:39 PM
OldRick
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I've tried most of the variations - my suggestion would be as below, sequenced by cost-effectiveness for smoothing out the ride while improving handing:

- Replace the tires with non-RF tires - the UHP is a good choice at a moderate price.

- Replace the stock wheels. Having lighter-than-OEM wheels reduces the impact of road-lumps, while improving grip, acceleration, and braking. You can easily shed 10 lbs per wheel at moderate cost. Try TireRack.com, and don't even consider a wheel larger than 16".

- Koni FSD's. They are a huge improvement over OEM in all respects.

Old 01-31-2009, 02:45 PM
quikmni
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
As Puma stated we need to know your current tire size such as 205/45x17 and whether or not you currently have runflats.
I assume you want to stay with the stock wheels.
Going with non-runflat tires (in the same size) will make a big difference.
You might want to try that before spending the money, especially for labor if not doing it yourself, to replace the shocks. The FSDs would be a good choice if the tires do not do enough. Based on your wishes, I would go with the General UHP for better ride comfort and less noise. I have used the KDW2 and they are better tires for dry traction but that is not your priority.

Old 01-31-2009, 02:49 PM
Henry-8
1st Gear
Thanks so far. I have 17 inch web spokes and Pirelli run flats but will be upgrading as I need tires. I've basically gathered stay away from lowering springs. I have also heard the koni yellows are stiffer than the fsd. I've thought of Bilsteins also but read most think they are too stiff. Perhaps the Bfg tires are not so good as far as comfort and noise but most seem to really like them for performance. I aslo would like the upgrades I make to not make the interior plastics rattle too much if that makes sence. I already have helix control arms but I sold my h-sport springs having never installed them based on what I read here about lowereing your Mini. I wouldn't rule out coil overs but don't want to get in over my head with too much adjustability. Thanks again for the help.

Old 01-31-2009, 09:00 PM
spdfreak
2nd Gear
I'm running factory 17" flame spokes w/ Falken Azenis RT-615 and Koni Yellows w/TSW V.2 springs. My car handles excellent and with the shocks dialed to full soft it rides way better than stock, in my opinion. The only bad thing is needing to remove the rear shocks to dial up the firmness.

Old 01-31-2009, 09:26 PM
3rd Gear
I wouldn't go with the General UHP's - I had them and wasn't impressed with their performance. They rode comfy, but the grip wasn't anywhere near what I'd expect from a UHP summer tire. They also made a lot of road noise (IMO). I replaced them this past week when they finally went bald with a set of Falken ZE-912's; I haven't driven the Falken's enough to be able to give a review on the handling, but the ride seems better (less road noise). I got them based on the review of them by GRM (Grassroots Motorsports - awesome car magazine) and the recommendation by one of my friends (to say he's a good driver is an understatement - has done Canonball run the past 3 or so years and finished well each time and has several divisional auto-x championships to his name).

Originally Posted by OldRick
Replace the stock wheels. Having lighter-than-OEM wheels reduces the impact of road-lumps, while improving grip, acceleration, and braking. You can easily shed 10 lbs per wheel at moderate cost.
2nd this. I have Rota Slipstreams; at ~13.5 lb each they're nearly 10 lbs lighter than the stock wheels I replaced and the ride was much improved. They're also really cheap. Not pretty, but I can live with that

Old 01-31-2009, 10:52 PM
OldRick
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
For a better ride, your first issue to deal with is the 17" wheels. There just isn't enough air and rubber between the car and the road to give the car a ride that your wife and son will care for.

IMHO, 17" wheels on a MINI are nice for smooth tracks and for car shows, but not for riding on real roads.

You wouldn't be able to show enough difference in handing between 16" and 17" wheels to make a noticeable difference for the uses you describe, but smaller wheels will give you a much better ride. You can get down as low as 9lbs at reasonable cost on a 15" wheel, 11 lbs. on a 16".

Old 02-01-2009, 07:45 AM
sonichris
3rd Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
i'll reiterate the runflat and 17" wheel issue. i ordered mine with 16's and it STILL was very rough riding. i replaced the runflats with toyo proxes 4's and it was a much more comfortable ride, yet still just as responsive. the first move i would make is 16s with some decent non-runflats. careful with the ultrahigh performance summer tire, like the KDW2s, as they have a very stiff sidewalls like the runflats and you will not notice much of a comfort improvement.

Old 03-01-2009, 08:29 AM
Henry-8
1st Gear
Thanx for all the info... I ended up keeping 17 inch webspokes 'cuz I love 'em and I went with Toyo Proxes 4 tires in stock size. I should prolly post in tire section but wow! What a huge difference in ride... sounds quieter and ride is more comfortable for everyone in car, and performance hasn't dropped 1 bit- rained 1st week I had them on and these tires rocked in the wet.

Old 03-01-2009, 10:05 AM
sonichris
3rd Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
excellent choice on the proxes4's, and, like you've noticed, they are amazing in the wet. i didn't even have to slow down when it rained. they will keep their wet performance even down to 4/32nds of tread, and they wore very evenly and were quiet the whole time i had them. i just carry an airpump and a tire plug kit with me in case of a flat, and i have had to use it before!

Old 03-01-2009, 10:18 AM
Q-4000
2nd Gear
I would say dont touch the suspension get new light weight 16" wheels with Proxes4's ditching the runflats and going to a smaller wheel which will give more sidewall will give you better performance as well as a softer ride with out changing the handling too much.