Suspension Springs, struts, coilovers, sway-bars, camber plates, and all other modifications to suspension components for Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S (R56), and Cabrio (R57) MINIs.

Suspension R56 lowering springs: options and specs

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2009, 01:53 PM
investigator
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ichy600
I have the H&R springs on the cooperS r56....but I'm not happy about the look...the drop is not the same in the front and in the rear. my rear il a lot higher than the front ....anybody with my same problem???

Could the installer have put the fronts on the rear and vice versa? I've got H&Rs on my '07 R56 and my rear of the car doesn't look that high.

Old 02-04-2009, 02:26 PM
Oxybluecoop
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by investigator
Could the installer have put the fronts on the rear and vice versa?
No

Old 02-04-2009, 03:08 PM
BlackSapphire
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by OXYBLUECOOP
No
+1 - not really possible. To the OP, did you get new rear shocks at the same time as the install?

Old 02-04-2009, 03:51 PM
MoxieMini
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ichy600
I have the H&R springs on the cooperS r56....but I'm not happy about the look...the drop is not the same in the front and in the rear. my rear il a lot higher than the front ....anybody with my same problem???
Maybe the springs just hadn't settled in completely? How long have they been on the car (in miles)?

Old 02-10-2009, 11:37 AM
BlackSapphire
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Sambo99
I decided to go for the above springs - They arrived yesterday and I have an appointment booked in at the suspension shop Wednesday next week. I will post photos of before and after the install (the drop is 1.2")
Can anyone compare these to the H&Rs with respect to ride quality?

Also, who makes the NAM springs?

Old 02-10-2009, 11:42 AM
dwebber18
3rd Gear
It looks like the springs haven't been on enough to settle. Mine looks great and the front and back are proportional, so just give it some time.

Old 02-10-2009, 01:38 PM
Sambo99
1st Gear
Originally Posted by BlackSapphire

Also, who makes the NAM springs?
I have had them on for a few months now and although they dont seem to lower the MINI quite as much as what the H and Rs do, from what I can tell the ride quality is a bit better (based on reading/my interpretation). I havent really noticed the difference to stock sports suspension - the people who have been passengers that I did tell thought that they noticed the difference... the people who I didnt tell didnt seem to think the ride quality was different after I asked them... Then again they probably were moreso holding on as I was throwing them around corners

Old 02-10-2009, 02:10 PM
BlackSapphire
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Sambo99
I have had them on for a few months now and although they dont seem to lower the MINI quite as much as what the H and Rs do, from what I can tell the ride quality is a bit better (based on reading/my interpretation). I havent really noticed the difference to stock sports suspension - the people who have been passengers that I did tell thought that they noticed the difference... the people who I didnt tell didnt seem to think the ride quality was different after I asked them... Then again they probably were moreso holding on as I was throwing them around corners
Thanks Sambo. I'm OK with less of a drop if I can gain 'some' of my ride quality back (which was bad to begin with!). Even if I only gain 20%, I'm good with that. It looks like Eibach and NAM both drop 30mm. The NAMs look linear (from the pics) while the Eibachs are progressive.

Old 02-17-2009, 05:58 AM
a96bimmerm3
5th Gear
Its a bit strange. The initial hit with the TSWs feels very similar to the H&Rs, but thats where it ends. On large bumps the TSWs really soak up the impact while the H&Rs would either bottom out of just get REALLY harsh. I like the springs a lot, I just wish they were a little lower. I'm sure they'll get there as I drive. Should put another hundred miles on them today.

Old 02-17-2009, 12:33 PM
BlackSapphire
3rd Gear
I would agree... I just swapped the H&Rs for the TSWs on Saturday and I'm VERY impressed with the ride of the TSWs. I'm hoping they settle in nicely and then I'll be a 100% happy camper. There's no denying that these things will do well on the track however! I'll be looking forward to their first AutoX.

Old 02-18-2009, 06:19 AM
hardingsan
4th Gear
can anyone comment on the life of springs? i know after-market springs will wear out the shocks quicker, but do springs only have so much life in them?

does it make sense to buy second hand springs with 5, 10, or 15k miles already on them...?

Old 03-04-2009, 06:27 AM
tedbone72P
3rd Gear
Ok, I have read through this whole thread and I haven't gained any clarity on which springs I should buy. I want to lower the car for better performance and aesthetic reasons as well. So, with this said, which springs should I choose. I think the H&Rs are out of the question because I think they lower the car too much. How much room is left before the bump stops hit? And has anyone had any problems with this?

Old 03-04-2009, 06:46 AM
BlackSapphire
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by tedbone72P
Ok, I have read through this whole thread and I haven't gained any clarity on which springs I should buy. I want to lower the car for better performance and aesthetic reasons as well. So, with this said, which springs should I choose. I think the H&Rs are out of the question because I think they lower the car too much. How much room is left before the bump stops hit? And has anyone had any problems with this?
Do you feel H&R is 'too low' due to the way they look or the way they perform? If it's the latter, I tend to agree with you. They were too 'crashy' for my tastes. After having gone from stock to H&R to TSW to coilovers within 1200 miles, I wish I would have gone with COs from the get go. The combination of looks and performance can't be beat. All of my past vehicles have been lowered with springs (H&R, Hotchkis, etc.) and they were a great fit for those applications. The MINI is a small wheelbase vehicle with a very limited amount of damper travel from the get go. I just don't think you'll be happy with anything lower than TSW if you go the spring route. If you're comfortable with a very minor drop but would like an improvement in performance handling, those are a great option. If you like the look of H&Rs but want a better ride, save your coin for coilovers. If you don't, your shocks/struts will likely need to be replaced in 10k miles anyway - between the cost of dampers and springs, you'll be close to the cost of coilovers and still not be as happy as you could have been. That's my opinion on the subject.

Old 03-04-2009, 06:58 AM
dwebber18
3rd Gear
The biggest problem with the lowering springs is the stupid runflats. I put the H&Rs on my MINI about 10,000 miles ago and am very happy with them. With the stock runflats they were very harsh as the runflats give no absorbtion. Sunday I put new tires on my car that are not runflats and the difference is amazing. I'm not hitting the bump stops all the time and not cringing with each little dip and hole in the road. The H&Rs do lower the MINI quite a bit and there are some issues with sagging a few years down the road, but for me $100 in springs was much better than $1200 coil overs. One day I will get coilovers, but now is not that day unfortunately. When I got new tires I went with 205/50/16 so it actually put a little more room in my wheel wells and looks very good, and if they do start to sag in the future I still won't be rubbing my tires because of the extra half inch or whatever the shorter sidewall offers me. So just remember that runflats are really rough in themselves and will affect the way the car rides with your springs on.

Old 03-04-2009, 05:22 PM
tedbone72P
3rd Gear
If you like the look of H&Rs but want a better ride, save your coin for coilovers. If you don't, your shocks/struts will likely need to be replaced in 10k miles anyway - between the cost of dampers and springs, you'll be close to the cost of coilovers and still not be as happy as you could have been.
Thanks! This is exactly what I needed to know. I was contemplating this exact thing. I'm not going to attempt putting on myself because I don't want any screw ups that will mess up the car. So, with that said, they would be installed and that would run me about $650 to $750 bucks including the alignment. I figured I can wait and save a few more months and then get the real deal going with COs.

Old 03-04-2009, 05:26 PM
dwebber18
3rd Gear
If you are serious about getting the springs try to find a club member near you who has the tools, knowledge and willingness to help you. Thats how I got mine because I wasn't going to pay $600 for 2 hours of work at some shop. For me thats the way to go and it may only cost you a 6 pack and some elbow grease

Old 03-05-2009, 10:00 AM
tedbone72P
3rd Gear
Ok, is there anyone that lives in the south florida area willing to help me do this? $250 is a bargain and at least by the time my suspension needs to be replaced I'll have
A)the money saved
B)the justification to spend the money to change them

Any guy that is married and has a wife that just doesn't understand modding your car understands what I mean

Old 03-05-2009, 01:01 PM
BlackSapphire
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by dwebber18
The biggest problem with the lowering springs is the stupid runflats. I put the H&Rs on my MINI about 10,000 miles ago and am very happy with them. With the stock runflats they were very harsh as the runflats give no absorbtion. Sunday I put new tires on my car that are not runflats and the difference is amazing. I'm not hitting the bump stops all the time and not cringing with each little dip and hole in the road. The H&Rs do lower the MINI quite a bit and there are some issues with sagging a few years down the road, but for me $100 in springs was much better than $1200 coil overs. One day I will get coilovers, but now is not that day unfortunately. When I got new tires I went with 205/50/16 so it actually put a little more room in my wheel wells and looks very good, and if they do start to sag in the future I still won't be rubbing my tires because of the extra half inch or whatever the shorter sidewall offers me. So just remember that runflats are really rough in themselves and will affect the way the car rides with your springs on.
I ditched the runflats before I even did the first spring swap. I really liked the H&Rs on my BMW....not so much on the MINI.

Old 03-17-2009, 08:38 PM
diplo
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by hardingsan
can anyone comment on the life of springs? i know after-market springs will wear out the shocks quicker, but do springs only have so much life in them?

does it make sense to buy second hand springs with 5, 10, or 15k miles already on them...?
i want to know this as well. There seem to be a good number of used sets out there for good prices. Aside from a little sagging, does the integrity of performance springs deteriorate over lets say, 15k miles?

Also, is there any proof out there yet that says lowering springs shorten the life of the shocks? to me it just seems like a myth.

Old 03-18-2009, 05:23 AM
hardingsan
4th Gear
from the research i've done the springs do not really degrade that much. obviously the newer the better, but i wouldn't be too put off by a set of springs with 10-15k on them.

as for the shocks, i think that's the honest truth. shorter springs make them work and compress more, and more frequent cycles means quicker lifespans. but i'm planing on having lowering springs only for a season or so until i can properly research (and afford) a decent set of coilovers.

Old 03-20-2009, 07:28 PM
nysmo240
1st Gear
NAM Springs...

...so I'm looking to purchase the NAM springs and wanted to know if installing the springs requires a spring compressor?

Old 03-20-2009, 08:00 PM
BlackSapphire
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by nysmo240
...so I'm looking to purchase the NAM springs and wanted to know if installing the springs requires a spring compressor?
No, you don't need one. I did it without using my spring compressor. If you've got a buddy willing to help you, it'll be even easier. MINI springs aren't under a ton of tension like some other vehicles.

If you're doing springs for the first time, just be safe and rent one for free from AutoZone.

Old 03-21-2009, 01:28 AM
nysmo240
1st Gear
Thanks for the tip BlackSapphire...I've done springs and CO before and I wanted to make sure I was prepared before jumpin in on it.

Old 03-21-2009, 10:31 AM
BlackSapphire
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by nysmo240
Thanks for the tip BlackSapphire...I've done springs and CO before and I wanted to make sure I was prepared before jumpin in on it.
You'll be good to go without one then. You still need to be careful of course!

Old 04-21-2009, 06:04 PM
dtsoccer6
5th Gear
Just purchased and put on the NM Engineering Sport Springs. 1.18inch drop, progressive spring rate, and absolutely the best lowering spring I have ever used. Much better ride over stock, so much smoother and comfortable. No harshness, even under heavy load and over rough, potholed CT roads, these springs are truly amazing. I have about 500 miles on them from Saturday to today. I took 2 very long trips on them, both totaling over 5 hours of driving, and they never made me feel as though I made a bad decision buying them, they just made my confidence in the NM Engineering brand that much higher.

NM Eng is a product of Neuspeed, a reliable and well respected VW vendor as most of you know. I'm truly impressed with these springs and how they performed at the track yesterday.

Picture of me at Limerock Park, CT.

Name:  20090420_LRP_NOV_2139.jpg
Views: 7405
Size:  50.9 KB

Quick Reply: Suspension R56 lowering springs: options and specs