Suspension Springs, struts, coilovers, sway-bars, camber plates, and all other modifications to suspension components for Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S (R56), and Cabrio (R57) MINIs.

Suspension Alignment Shop in SoCal

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2008, 10:54 PM
lttletimmy
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Alignment Shop in SoCal

Hey guys,

I'm looking to get an alignment done to my own specs, and possibly corner balancing (depending on how the car looks on the scales). Anybody know a good shop around LA, preferably near the San Fernando Valley? I live near MiniCorsa, but unfortunately I don't think Danny does alignments. Jan from RMW said he had a recommendation local to him, but that's a bit of a drive for me and I was hoping to find something closer.

Old 03-13-2008, 11:03 PM
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by lttletimmy
Hey guys,

I'm looking to get an alignment done to my own specs, and possibly corner balancing (depending on how the car looks on the scales). Anybody know a good shop around LA, preferably near the San Fernando Valley? I live near MiniCorsa, but unfortunately I don't think Danny does alignments. Jan from RMW said he had a recommendation local to him, but that's a bit of a drive for me and I was hoping to find something closer.
Danny doesn't do alignments but the shop next to him does, not very good ones though.

That being said, Danny does have a shop that he refers people to for alignments (They did my car a few months ago).

They're not that expensive, and still do it by hand (Much better than a computer alignment). They unfortunately don't have the capability to corner balance, but unless you're racing, there's really no point. At 350+ for an alignment and corner balance, it's just wasted money.

Give Danny a call.

Last edited by Guest; 03-14-2008 at 01:44 AM.
Old 03-14-2008, 06:54 AM
lttletimmy
3rd Gear
Thanks, Nick.

Old 03-14-2008, 07:00 AM
Revolution Mini Works
Banned
Tim,

if you can make it down to Orange county it's worth it.... they have the laser alignment and it's by far the best I have had. Schedule for a weekend, the guys are great there. Everyone that has gone there has been thrilled with the results.

Old 03-14-2008, 07:24 AM
lttletimmy
3rd Gear
Sounds pretty good, Jan. I'd love to squeeze it in next Saturday but 2 drives down to Orange County in one day may be a but much!

Old 03-14-2008, 09:58 AM
Wolfgang80
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Johnson's Alignment in Torrance and West End in Gardena are both reputable shops.

Old 03-16-2008, 09:26 PM
Mark Kurzius
3rd Gear
Hey guys,

Danny sent me To Truline Automotive Solutions in Van Nuys after he did the suspension mods on my car 818-780-1288 did a great job....

Old 03-16-2008, 09:41 PM
JeffreyC
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Revolution Mini Works
Tim,

if you can make it down to Orange county it's worth it.... they have the laser alignment and it's by far the best I have had. Schedule for a weekend, the guys are great there. Everyone that has gone there has been thrilled with the results.
What's the name of the place?

Old 03-16-2008, 09:48 PM
maxmini
6th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
You can go to a race prep shop in the valley which has been in buisness for over 20 years and have both the corner balance and alignment done with the latest system available. Thes guys really know whats up when it comes to suspension setup for track and play. The are just a few blocks from the Van Nuys Flyaway to give you an idea of their location .Tell Dave, the owner , Randy sent you .

"We also perform the best in alignment and corner balancing, for either street or track with our John Bean Alignment Digital Imaging system.

818 909 9220
http://www.tremotorsports.com/

Randy
M7 Tuning

Old 03-17-2008, 05:57 AM
Revolution Mini Works
Banned
Originally Posted by JeffreyC
What's the name of the place?

Suspension Plus

27972 Forbes Rd, Laguna Niguel, CA 92677
[SIZE=3](949) 365-1070[/SIZE]

Thank you for rating.
UGR('RatingsControl') 1-click directions

Old 03-19-2008, 03:51 PM
lttletimmy
3rd Gear
thanks for the suggestions, everyone. I made an appt with suspension plus on Friday so we'll see how it all turns out!

Old 03-20-2008, 10:42 AM
oneM1KE
2nd Gear
Hey, how much is that gonna cost you, if you dont mind me asking.... I live near that area and am looking to get an alignment.. maybe just a basic alignment instead of the corner balancing n all..

Any suggestions on just a basic alignment? Price?

Also, is it just a front end if i just want a basic alignment?

Thanks ahead of time

-05 MCS ..CAI.. stock suspension

Last edited by oneM1KE; 03-20-2008 at 11:02 AM. Reason: ..
Old 03-20-2008, 02:48 PM
lttletimmy
3rd Gear
I'm just getting the car aligned to my specifications and was quoted $130. I decided to forgo the corner balancing for now since I'm not quite at a level where I would notice a sigificant difference. If you go in for an alignment, you should get all 4 wheels done, otherwise you're only doing the job half way!

Old 03-20-2008, 03:01 PM
maxmini
6th Gear
Due to the high volume of Minis that go thru Steve's Auto Clinic he gives a break on the price of a four wheel alignment at does it for $ 75. He does not have corner balance capability on a regular basis however.

Randy
M7 Tuning

Old 03-20-2008, 03:08 PM
oneM1KE
2nd Gear
Thanks.. and a four wheel alignment for $75 is awesome! Ive been to steves once before, its kinda far from where im at, but will definately consider it.. Thanks so much!

Is this a normal thing for steves auto clinic to charge $75, or do i need to mention names/forums/etc. to get that price

Old 03-20-2008, 03:29 PM
maxmini
6th Gear
Originally Posted by oneM1KE
Thanks.. and a four wheel alignment for $75 is awesome! Ive been to steves once before, its kinda far from where im at, but will definately consider it.. Thanks so much!

Is this a normal thing for steves auto clinic to charge $75, or do i need to mention names/forums/etc. to get that price
I double checked with him before I posted and that is the price for Minis. If there was ever a issue tell them randy said so Seriously he is a easy guy to get along with , you can simply say you saw it on NAM and you are in.

Randy
M7 Tuning

Old 03-20-2008, 03:32 PM
oneM1KE
2nd Gear
awesome!! thanks

Old 03-20-2008, 03:39 PM
napptym
3rd Gear
Steve ROCKS!!!
He did my car and I'm very happy

Old 03-20-2008, 05:01 PM
Revolution Mini Works
Banned
you get what you pay for.....

Old 03-24-2008, 11:30 AM
lttletimmy
3rd Gear
Got my alignment done at suspension plus this weekend and I think next time I might go to tre or truline to avoid the drive. They did a decent job but dialed in my settings to "close enough" instead of dead on what I asked for. Left to right front camber is off by .3 degrees and when I asked them to even it out they said it would take too long and "you'll only notice that if you're driving 180 miles per hour on a racetrack." Well guess what, I do! (albeit not quite that fast!)

I ended up paying $200 due to the amount of time it took, but in their defense they did help me level out the ride height before performing the alignment. My other nitpick with the alignment is that my steering wheel no longer points straight when driving in a straight line; it points 10-15 degrees to the left.

The whole time I felt like they would have rather had me not come, because "the minis are a pain to align" and I felt like I was "another one of those mini guys."

If you just need a quick street alignment they'll be great I'm sure, but next time I'll go to a place more specialized in setting up race alignment settings.

Old 03-24-2008, 11:35 AM
Revolution Mini Works
Banned
Got my alignment done at suspension plus this weekend and I think next time I might go to tre or truline to avoid the drive. They did a decent job but dialed in my settings to "close enough" instead of dead on what I asked for. Left to right front camber is off by .3 degrees and when I asked them to even it out they said it would take too long and "you'll only notice that if you're driving 180 miles per hour on a racetrack." Well guess what, I do! (albeit not quite that fast!)

I ended up paying $200 due to the amount of time it took, but in their defense they did help me level out the ride height before performing the alignment. My other nitpick with the alignment is that my steering wheel no longer points straight when driving in a straight line; it points 10-15 degrees to the left.

The whole time I felt like they would have rather had me not come, because "the minis are a pain to align" and I felt like I was "another one of those mini guys."

If you just need a quick street alignment they'll be great I'm sure, but next time I'll go to a place more specialized in setting up race alignment settings.
who did you deal with?
I will call the owner
that's just BS

Old 03-24-2008, 12:08 PM
lttletimmy
3rd Gear
I may have dealt with the owner, if thats Ron. I don't remember his name, but I also dealt with the Indian guy whose name started with a B, he was very nice and helpful and told me to call him if there were any problems.

The way everything worked out was that while I was waiting for my alignment I asked about how much ride height affects camber, because I said I would still play with the height as it settled. They said "no problem, we'll work with you right now to dial it in." i thought that sounded great and we all went to town. Everything took a bit more time than anticipated an Ron pulled me aside and said he would charge me $300 for the job because of the amount of time it was taking. I told him that was rediculous as they never told me there would be an additional charge for the height adjustment and for that price i could get a full alignment and corner balance at tre! I managed to talk him down to $200 and that was that.

What bugs me is that I feel like I got the shaft on an alignment that I paid a premium on to get it just right. Eventually I'll get it redone but I'll see how it performs at my next track event

Last edited by lttletimmy; 03-24-2008 at 12:12 PM. Reason: text left out on original post for some reason
Old 03-24-2008, 01:37 PM
maxmini
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Revolution Mini Works
you get what you pay for.....
So are you saying that Steve doesnt do a good job? I don't think Littletimmy would have been forced to make the post he did based on your recommendation about Steve's shop .

Randy
M7 Tuning

Last edited by maxmini; 03-24-2008 at 01:40 PM.
Old 03-24-2008, 02:08 PM
lttletimmy
3rd Gear
I wouldn't blame Jan by any means for my experience. I'm sure that he and everyone else who's gone there has had great service, my circumstances just happened to be different. I certainly wouldn't hesitate to take another recommendation from Jan based on this experience, as Jan has high standards for himself and anyone dealing with his customers.

Old 03-24-2008, 03:32 PM
maxmini
6th Gear
I wouldn't blame Jan by any means for my experience. I'm sure that he and everyone else who's gone there has had great service, my circumstances just happened to be different. I certainly wouldn't hesitate to take another recommendation from Jan based on this experience, as Jan has high standards for himself and anyone dealing with his customers.

I am sorry that you had a less than satisfactory experience based on someone's recommendation .I would not have commented on it had it not been for the cheap shot which was taken against a referral which I had made in response to your original request. It is ironic that you had to travel so far to have the results that you did when you could have had the job done much closer to home at about a third of what they wanted to charge you. If you look on the boards I doubt you will find another member that has felt the need to voice the complaints about Steve's Auto Clinic as you did about that other shop.. Everyone has problems from time to time but I think you will see an overwhelming positive nature in the posts about that shop and that comments like " you get what you pay for " with regards to his service are out of line . I mean look what you paid and what did you get other than the learning experience in not wanting to go back there ? Again sorry about your experience we have all been there .

Randy
M7 Tuning

Quick Reply: Suspension Alignment Shop in SoCal