Suspension Springs, struts, coilovers, sway-bars, camber plates, and all other modifications to suspension components for Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S (R56), and Cabrio (R57) MINIs.

Suspension No more teasing: Mach V Technic Springs now shipping.

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2008, 07:57 AM
flaco
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Creeve
anybody have experience with how these springs preform with a full load (3 adult passengers/600 or 700 pounds) i dont carry that many people often, but none the less it would be a handy piece of information to have before i go ahead and take the plunge on these.
From my experience, you will have a lot of rubbing on any good size bump with that many passengers. By myself, it's ok. I am considering switching back to JCW springs for just this reason. Want to buy my Mach V springs? They are only a couple of months old.

Old 01-19-2008, 08:44 AM
PGT
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
/\ stock wheels and tire size won't have that issue.

Old 01-19-2008, 08:51 AM
Creeve
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by flaco
From my experience, you will have a lot of rubbing on any good size bump with that many passengers. By myself, it's ok. I am considering switching back to JCW springs for just this reason. Want to buy my Mach V springs? They are only a couple of months old.
i might be interested, where are you located and how much?

Old 01-19-2008, 09:03 PM
Mach V Dan
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by flaco
From my experience, you will have a lot of rubbing on any good size bump with that many passengers.
flaco, we have sold many dozens of sets of these springs, and you are the ONLY person who has reported any problem like this. I still don't think we've been able to look at your car. Come by the new shop and we'll check it out.

--Dan
Mach V

Old 01-19-2008, 09:08 PM
PGT
Banned
I think adding a little bit of camber all around would do wonders. I'm running a similar wheel/tire setup on an R53 and have no rubbing issues and R56's have more room it seems

Old 01-19-2008, 09:57 PM
SPUNKY
2nd Gear
I've had an R56 S for about 2 months now. (upgraded from the supercharged mini to the turbo). but around the twisties there's just too much body roll and at the limit it gets really hesitant to get its tail out. I was told by my dealer that loweirng springs wouldn't affect my warranty just as long as thier within damper range and I'm considering either mach V springs or H&R. advice please. thanks

Old 01-20-2008, 08:57 AM
Tennman
2nd Gear
Spunky, I had my Mach V springs put on by Mini of Nashville. Does that answer your question?

Old 01-20-2008, 03:17 PM
spam052
2nd Gear
add a set of koni yellows to your set up if you want a great suspension thats not that expensive

Old 01-21-2008, 11:18 AM
MTD
1st Gear
Mach V Dan
Do you ship to Canada or do you have any retailers here?

Old 01-31-2008, 01:41 PM
zach999
3rd Gear
just ordered a set of springs!!

Old 01-31-2008, 06:00 PM
Mach V Dan
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by MTD
Mach V Dan
We ship anywhere.

--Dan
Mach V

Old 01-31-2008, 06:39 PM
ACooperS
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by MTD
Mach V Dan
Mine came to the Victoria area. $46.26 shipping and handling.

Love 'em.

Old 02-04-2008, 05:26 PM
ghosthound
6th Gear
ok, i think ive settled on getting the Mach V springs paired with the 19mm RSB, it makes it really convenient that they are both available from the same vendor.

Anyway, i had a couple questions... Is the RSB adjustable? and also, are their any known problems with running these components on the stock suspension?

Old 02-05-2008, 09:22 PM
Mach V Dan
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by ghosthound
Anyway, i had a couple questions... Is the RSB adjustable?
You're talking about the H&R rear sway bar? Yes. They've got two holes on either side, so you have a total of three adjustment positions. (Both short, both long, and half/half.)

I just noticed that pic on that page I referenced...is not the MINI rear bar. I don't know what it is...

and also, are their any known problems with running these components on the stock suspension?
None known by me.

--Dan
Mach V

Old 02-06-2008, 02:35 AM
ghosthound
6th Gear
is there anywhere we can get the torque specs for the various bits and pieces? Im probably going to order the springs and RSB tomorrow night or the day after so be ready Dan!!

Old 02-06-2008, 07:37 PM
mattbren
2nd Gear
Dan, these springs are great!

I had my Mach V's installed today on my MCS with standard non-sport suspension and I love them! The car looks the way it should have looked from the factory (the photo in my sig is pre-Mach V install).

I was worried about many of the same things that others have questioned such as ride quality, rubbing, etc. Here's what I observed after the first day of driving on them.

*The ride quality seems to be slightly better than stock on normal roads.
*I don't have to go any slower over speed bumps than I did before.
*There's no rubbing with my 215/45/17's.
*There is far less body roll during cornering and quick maneuvering.
*ALL of the horrible torque steer is GONE!
*NO UGLY WHEEL GAP.

Thanks for a great product Dan.

Old 02-06-2008, 08:36 PM
SPUNKY
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Tennman
Spunky, I had my Mach V springs put on by Mini of Nashville. Does that answer your question?
How much for labor?

Old 02-06-2008, 08:47 PM
ghosthound
6th Gear
ok, i went ahead and ordered the springs and the H&R RSB. I just need those darn torque specs.

btw, for those that did the install yourselves... where did you get the spring compressor and do you need an impact gun?

Old 02-06-2008, 10:11 PM
zach999
3rd Gear
ghosthound,
my springs are scheduled to arrive tomorow and I too am planning on doing them myself. I searched the forums for a spring install thread and found the jackpot!
https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...spring+install
k-huevo does his own springs and documents the entire process very well. From what I have gathered is that you don't nescesarily need a spring compressor if you use the buddy method (read the article). However, it looks like we will need to get or make a special socket, it is the black socket pictured in the thread: second pic in post #1. From what I understand, in order to tighten/loosen the camber plate/upper mount whilst holding the shaft of the shock staitionary with the allen key if that makes sense.

edit: to answer your questions:
You can rent a spring compressor from any auto parts store as long as you leave a deposit. And as long as you return the tool you get your full money back.
An impact gun? I dont think you NEED an impact wrench, but if you had one it would probably be a hellofalot easier. I'm not planning on using an impact wrench when I do it and I'll defn let you know how it works out.

Last edited by zach999; 02-06-2008 at 10:18 PM.
Old 02-06-2008, 10:20 PM
zach999
3rd Gear
mattbren Lets see some pictures!

Old 02-06-2008, 11:08 PM
ghosthound
6th Gear
Sweet!!

Thanks so much for that zach!! if you look at Alta's write up, they were able to do it without the special tool.

Old 02-07-2008, 10:26 AM
bushman66
2nd Gear
I would highly recommend renting a spring compressor. Autozone loaned one to me for free and it makes the job safer (and since the strut doesn't shoot apart) makes it easier to ensure that all the parts are placed in the correct orientation and order upon reassembly.

I also highly recommend an impact wrench if you can get one. The job can be done without one, but the job is MUCH MUCH MUCH easier with one.

This is a simple job. My bud and I did all 4 corners in about 2.5 hours. (impact gun and air ratchet). If we had to use hand tools it would have taken a lot longer...simply because many of the bolts/nuts etc require a lot of turning to get out...not to mention holding the strut while tightening it down would have been a PITA.

Good luck!

Old 02-07-2008, 12:52 PM
ghosthound
6th Gear
Originally Posted by bushman66
I would highly recommend renting a spring compressor. Autozone loaned one to me for free and it makes the job safer (and since the strut doesn't shoot apart) makes it easier to ensure that all the parts are placed in the correct orientation and order upon reassembly.

I also highly recommend an impact wrench if you can get one. The job can be done without one, but the job is MUCH MUCH MUCH easier with one.

This is a simple job. My bud and I did all 4 corners in about 2.5 hours. (impact gun and air ratchet). If we had to use hand tools it would have taken a lot longer...simply because many of the bolts/nuts etc require a lot of turning to get out...not to mention holding the strut while tightening it down would have been a PITA.

Good luck!
you mean you used an impact gun to tighten things??

Old 02-07-2008, 05:55 PM
Mach V Dan
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by mattbren
I had my Mach V's installed today on my MCS with standard non-sport suspension and I love them! ...

<snip>

Thanks for a great product Dan.
Hey, thanks for the feedback!

--Dan
Mach V

Old 02-08-2008, 03:32 AM
ghosthound
6th Gear
Woowhoo!! ordered them... now im just waiting for the shipping info. How long does it take for them to get to CA?

Quick Reply: Suspension No more teasing: Mach V Technic Springs now shipping.