Suspension Springs, struts, coilovers, sway-bars, camber plates, and all other modifications to suspension components for Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Suspension Koni FSD with lowering springs

Old 05-16-2007, 07:29 AM
Larry Clemens
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Koni FSD with lowering springs

There has been a lot of discussion regarding the use of FSDs with lowering springs. I found the attached on the lohen.co.uk website:

Koni FSD Sport Dampers.
Details
With Frequency Selective Damping (FSD) Koni introduces the first no compromise shock absorber. Until recently shock absorbers either offered road-holding or comfort. With FSD active ride technology, Koni combines the benefits of both types of ride in one damper. This technology features a smart suspension system adjusting automatically to road conditions as well as driving style. No electronics or sensors are used, only hydraulics. This all means better handling, improved grip, greater stability and better comfort. For more information on how they work please click details. The Koni FSD dampers will work with both standard springs and with lowering springs. Combine these FSD dampers with lowering springs for even better handling. 'Best suited' for road/fast road use.

Old 05-16-2007, 07:42 AM
minimusprime
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
They package lowering springs with FSD's for other cars... as was stated in this thread... just not for the mini. With the lack of damper travel in our cars it is suspect that when you limit the damper to 2-3 inches of travel it is thought that the damper can not effectivly control dampening though it's hydrolic setup.

this is the crux of the issue.

Old 05-16-2007, 08:04 AM
Larry Clemens
5th Gear
It should be OK with a moderate drop (less than 1 inch)

Old 05-16-2007, 08:05 AM
Larry Clemens
5th Gear
The discussion on the lohen website ONLY refers to the MINI

Old 05-16-2007, 08:24 AM
Longboard Mini
6th Gear
I my last mailer from TireRack, There is a new Koni/Eibach kit for the mini.

Longboard

Old 05-16-2007, 08:38 AM
minimusprime
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Larry Clemens
The discussion on the lohen website ONLY refers to the MINI
hmmm... point taken but alot of us vendors have been packing fsd's with lowering springs for a while... they also sell crank pullies... and other neat stuff that kinda sorta works.

I guess im still skeptical.

and lb... is that a fsd+eibach kit (I assume so as these are usually packaged together) or a koni yellow+eibach kit?

Old 05-16-2007, 10:28 AM
mini552
4th Gear
you guys just don't get it . . . if you use Koni FSDs with lowering springs, the Konis will self-destruct w/i 100 miles, your dash will begin to rattle & your windshield crack, Global Warming will increase exponentially, and Ralph Nader will write a book about the safety issues created Seriously, there have been several good threads on this topic - I decided to go very slight drop (JCW) for my '06 Cooper with the FSDs, and after about 3K miles, so far, so great. Would be interested to hear if the Eibach package mentioned as available thru Tire Rack is FSD

Old 05-16-2007, 11:50 AM
Larry Clemens
5th Gear
Originally Posted by mini552
you guys just don't get it . . . if you use Koni FSDs with lowering springs, the Konis will self-destruct w/i 100 miles, your dash will begin to rattle & your windshield crack, Global Warming will increase exponentially, and Ralph Nader will write a book about the safety issues created Seriously, there have been several good threads on this topic - I decided to go very slight drop (JCW) for my '06 Cooper with the FSDs, and after about 3K miles, so far, so great. Would be interested to hear if the Eibach package mentioned as available thru Tire Rack is FSD
Ha-Ha-Ha...Dud - Keep your day job. I could not find the FSD / Eibach spring combo on the Tirerack website.

Old 05-16-2007, 11:56 AM
minimusprime
6th Gear
I'm gonna drop out of this thread as sarcasm is reigning supreme instead of valid comments and research. But I'll add my last little bit... I think that a small drop such as jcw suspenson (1/2") would be no problem with fsd's.

I'm more concerned about 1" or great drop such as hsports, bilstiens and m7's. Basically a drop that would necessitate new or modified bumpstops.

good luck.

Old 05-17-2007, 06:59 AM
Mike87
3rd Gear
Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts
I first installed my FSD's paired with H-Sport springs and ran them for about 6 months. With all the talk about not using lowering springs as well as the less than spectacular ride, I changed back to the stock SS springs. Wow, what a difference! The ride is much better than with the H-Sports and it seems handling has not changed. It did raise the car about an inch all around, so I am sure that the weight transer is different, but so far I cannot feel a handling difference. I had the car aligned the same as with the H-Sports.

All in all, I am happy! And that is what counts.

Old 05-18-2007, 03:15 AM
Larry Clemens
5th Gear
Originally Posted by minimusprime
I'm gonna drop out of this thread as sarcasm is reigning supreme instead of valid comments and research. But I'll add my last little bit... I think that a small drop such as jcw suspenson (1/2") would be no problem with fsd's.

I'm more concerned about 1" or great drop such as hsports, bilstiens and m7's. Basically a drop that would necessitate new or modified bumpstops.

good luck.
H-sport springs come with shorter (1/2 in) bumpstops and the total drop of the FSD / H-sport set up is 15/16 inch. Therefore don't you lose just 7/16 in (<1/2 in) of travel?

Last edited by Larry Clemens; 05-18-2007 at 03:17 AM.
Old 05-18-2007, 08:48 AM
cajun
1st Gear
I'm running FSD's with the TSW springs and have had no problems at all. I even Autocross with them, and that set up is great. Drop on the TSW springs are only a 3/4" drop.

Old 05-18-2007, 09:28 AM
mini552
4th Gear
Ha-Ha-Ha...Dud - Keep your day job. I could not find the FSD / Eibach spring combo on the Tirerack website.
Gee Simon, that really hurt . . . to address the original question in more depth, and avoid flames from the "this is so serious" crowd, all I can tell you is the combo with JCW springs has been wonderful so far. The ride over slightly broken pavement or stretches of the fwy (like 405 just North of the 22 interchange) is much better, which is consistent with what Koni claims the selective frequency valving is supposed to achieve. When you are pushing hard in corners, everything seems to "firm up" as advertised. I also got the modified bump stops on installation, in case the reduced susp. travel mattered even with the .6 inch drop of the JCWs. For my $$$$, I didn't want to go more than 1" drop in case there would be adverse effects on the FSDs, and don't care for the slammed look anyway. Good luck.

Old 05-18-2007, 09:41 AM
minimusprime
6th Gear
H-sport springs come with shorter (1/2 in) bumpstops and the total drop of the FSD / H-sport set up is 15/16 inch. Therefore don't you lose just 7/16 in (<1/2 in) of travel?
my hsports lower more like 1.5 inches front and rear. I lose about 1 inch of travel. The hsport bumpstops i've got are about an inch shorter then stock. It is this kind of drop that would be un-advisable with fsd's based off of my knowledge of how hydrolic's work.

tsw's would be a great match imo... no proof but judging by the linear rate and the small drop... i imagine them and the jcw to be a great match with fsd's...

do the reading guys... all the ques are available online as to which setup is best... don't trust people trying to sell you things...

Old 05-18-2007, 10:19 AM
goaljnky
Banned
Well, a friend of mine (and a not so frequent member on this forum) had the Hsports with FSD's. It worked great in the beginning. However, the life expectancy for the FSD is highly diminished and he is about to swap out his suspension for a different set up. I drove his car recently and the ride is very harsh. I would guesstimate that the FSD lasted less than a year.

So it seems they work great in the beginning, but will not last as long with more of the aggressive drops.

Old 05-18-2007, 12:12 PM
hanswang123
1st Gear
does anyone know about Racing Dynamics? i was wondering if they're any good and what's the difference; or rather performance difference gains in coil overs and lowering springs. Also will my OEM shocks get shot if i just get lowering springs (cuz it's MUCH cheaper haha)

Hans

Old 05-18-2007, 02:43 PM
minimusprime
6th Gear
Originally Posted by goaljnky
Well, a friend of mine (and a not so frequent member on this forum) had the Hsports with FSD's. It worked great in the beginning. However, the life expectancy for the FSD is highly diminished and he is about to swap out his suspension for a different set up. I drove his car recently and the ride is very harsh. I would guesstimate that the FSD lasted less than a year.

So it seems they work great in the beginning, but will not last as long with more of the aggressive drops.
thank you for posting first hand experience of what i was trying to say in my posts.

Last edited by minimusprime; 05-18-2007 at 02:46 PM.
Old 05-18-2007, 04:17 PM
goaljnky
Banned
thank you for posting first hand experience of what i was trying to say in my posts.
Anytime. As a recommendation:

I have Hsports springs on my 'vert which resulted in a significant drop. I would say and inch and a half, at least. Once the OEM shocks went I started looking around for replacements. I considered Yellows and FSD's. But the severity of the drop from the springs (much more pronounced than the same springs on a coupe) had me concerned. Long story short, on advice of my mechanic I went with Bilstein SP's. They are designed for lowered springs. I have about 6k on them now and am very happy with them.

Not sure if they will last. They just might suffer the same fate as my friends FSD's, but so far so good. A little more expensive, but so far totally worth it. Might be something to consider.

Old 05-18-2007, 05:19 PM
Larry Clemens
5th Gear
my hsports lower more like 1.5 inches front and rear. I lose about 1 inch of travel. The hsport bumpstops i've got are about an inch shorter then stock. It is this kind of drop that would be un-advisable with fsd's based off of my knowledge of how hydrolic's work.

tsw's would be a great match imo... no proof but judging by the linear rate and the small drop... i imagine them and the jcw to be a great match with fsd's...

do the reading guys... all the ques are available online as to which setup is best... don't trust people trying to sell you things...
I have seen many cars with H-sport springs and they drop the car no more than 1 inch. Adding the FSDs decreases the drop to about 3/4 - 15/16 inch. With the shorter bump stops you lose almost no suspension travel.

Old 05-18-2007, 05:59 PM
RallyMINI2005
3rd Gear
Not to be reasonable or anything...

From the KONI North American Website... look up the MINI Cooper S on their product finder, and on the MINI-specific page you will see the following message:

"FSD kit must be used with stock height suspension"

Yes you can make it happen with slightly lower springs, and it'll probably be OK, but you always do so at your own risk. The chances are good that if you have too-low a spring kit your FSD's will just die an early death.

I have had my FSD's on my MCS for probably 6000miles and they are awesome.

~RM2k5

Old 05-18-2007, 05:59 PM
minimusprime
6th Gear
not all hsports are created equal... ask around many will agree. That's why i said my hsports. Also I've had my car bottom out several times on bumps that it would just soak up with stock springs. I may have the same suspension travel, but im using all of it now. take that however you want...

appologize for ot but i have to prove a point i guess.
a fist full of wheel gap:
Name:  DSCF0845.jpg
Views: 2304
Size:  43.2 KB

to this... 1 finger
Name:  erik_lowcopy.jpg
Views: 3855
Size:  47.6 KB

I'm done arguing with this thread. I don't care if you buy fsd's with lowering springs. I wont do that.

Last edited by minimusprime; 05-18-2007 at 06:02 PM.
Old 05-18-2007, 06:30 PM
MarioKart
Vendor
Received 115 Likes on 93 Posts
I have had HSports on stock struts for 9,000 miles and no problems I just switched to FSD's and the car rides and handles better. Also ther ride height is the same as before I measured.
I guess I'm a risk taker to have FSD's and lowering springs.

2013 GP2 #295, 270whp/310wtq, KO4 47mm Turbo, 18" NM Wheels, Alta intake, Manic Stage III+, HFS-3 Meth, 30% E85 Blend, Forged IC, Alta Hot Pipe, P&P/Ceramic Exhaust Manifold, m3 Extreme Ceramic DP, Vibrant mid res, 4" Double walled Tips, WMW/KW V3 CO, Alta Rear CA, CREE Fogs, Black out F/R Rings and Gas Cap, M7 CF Front Splitter, and No Stickers. MORE TO COME!! Previous 04Triple Black 17% Alta, MM Air/H2O, CAI, OBX Header, FBT Head, Shrick Cam, 234whp
Old 05-19-2007, 11:35 AM
paulgrant
1st Gear
On MC2 magazine they said that the reason for using the FSD's in the first place was if you wanted a better ride while continuing to use the run flats. One of the reasons that the R53 does not ride as well as the R56 was because BMW did not have enough time to develop the run flats for the R53. However if you switch out the run flats I've been told that the ride improves dramatically. This would make the need for the FSD's unnecessary. I plan to switch out my tires and go for a Dinan suspension set up.

Old 05-19-2007, 12:43 PM
Larry Clemens
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Longboard Mini
In my last mailer from TireRack, There is a new Koni/Eibach kit for the mini.

Longboard
...and the Koni FSD / Eibach MINI kit lowers the car more than the FSD / H-sport set up.

From Tirerack:

KONI's FSD shocks are paired with Eibach's Pro-Kit springs to lower the vehicle's center of gravity and give the car a more solid, secure feel at all times. They're the perfect answer for frequently driven street cars.

Body lowering of 1.0"-1.5"

Old 05-19-2007, 03:33 PM
Acorin
3rd Gear
Dinan suspension

Originally Posted by paulgrant
I plan to switch out my tires and go for a Dinan suspension set up.
Paul, you'll love the Dinan set up. I've had mine on for about two months and have really enjoyed it. I wasn't perfectly happy with the stock MCS ride, read many positive reviews about Dinan, and went for it as a stronger system than JCW that stayed in warranty (through Dinan anyway).

At least for me, the Dinan lowering was imperceptable and I'm not sure technically which Koni shock is used, but I wanted the Dinan system because it is adjustable, and even if I don't get how everything works now, my intention is to figure it out.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Suspension Koni FSD with lowering springs